Posting CV online...

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Britain666, Aug 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello I'm looking for some advice as my CV caused me a few issues yesterday.

I posted it online for people to see, I don't have my company name written down at all, just the job titles instead.

Anyways I was called into the bosses office yesterday. A recruiting company had sent my own MD my CV and a potential employee.

This obviously didn't go down well, as although my. And had t been sent across, all the dates matched up and they knew it was me.

Looking for any advice on how to avoid this please.

2. Edit: I posted it onto job sites only

3. A company shouldn't send your CV on to anyone without contacting you 1st, and asking your permission.

Find out which agency it was, and sort them out.

Also, there's nothing wrong with having your CV online, so your boss shouldn't give you any hassle over it (especially as you didn't actually apply for your job).

4. What sites did you upload it to?

Check their T&C's to see if they are entitled to pass on your CV. What did you sign up too when you uploaded it?

Sent from my mobile

5. Agree with PA. Under no circumstances should a company pass on your details without your permission. Find out who they are and tear them a new one, both verbally and in writing. Make it clear to them that they do not have your permission to represent you to any outside parties and ask for written confirmation that your details have been removed from their internal systems.
    I don't know if it is a breach of the Data Protection Act as you have already made the details public however I believe, and I will stand to be corrected, that if they do not remove your details from their internal database when asked to do so that they will be in breach.

6. NEVER use random websites and upload your CV, sites like that are a data miners wet dream. Use linkedin and update your skills etc. change the setting for your contacts not to be notified when you make changes (as surely you have some colleagues added to your network and updating your skill set, experience etc equals looking for a job).
    Agree with the posters above that your cv should never be sent without your explicit ok, but assumes a proper code of coduct and a bricks & mortar company as oppose to some data mining website. What site was it?

7. If you find your bosses' Linkedin account and look at the bottom for what they want to be contacted for. It will almost certainly say 'Job Offers' amongst other things like 'getting back in touch' etc.

If you point this out to him, and kick him in the nuts you can exit the office with your head held high.

8. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll ask me boss which agency sent my details through when I see him and go mental.

I posted it on the regular job pages that come up on google: jobsite, cv library, total job, indeed.

9. I agree with all the threads in this post about complaining to the agency. But it goes further than just tearing them a new one. It's actually a legal requirement for the agency to gain your permission before sending your CV to anyone. If reported the agency in question can be investigated by the Employment Agency Standards Inspectorate. The link below gives more info on them.

Unfortunately this happens far to often in recruitment and the reason behind it is because the agency wants to get the candidate registered with the employer asap so as other agencies don't get in there in first.

Employment Agency Standards inspectorate | Policies | BIS

10. Thanks for this mate, I've sent an email off to that link you gave me before I try and contact the agency again.

I'm hoping they can't get away with it by not sending my name to my company. Although it was obviously my CV with my employment history.

11. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

You might want to think a bit about why your MD is looking at CV's of people who are suitable for your job, as well.

12. What MD wouldn't look? These agencies find a good CV online and send them to companies saying have a look at this guy for your operations he's the best thing since sliced bread. It could also be multiple role position. But if it is neither of the above I agree, why?

13. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

tell your boss thats how good you are and give me a rise afore I jump ship. sometimes a move is the only way . well done you good sir .

14. Haha it just so happened that I got a pay rise the week before he found the CV.

This gave me a good excuse by saying 'well I didn't know how long I'd be working for peanuts for'.

But it's still crap money tbh. Gona find a steady job with a decent wage and do an OU degree in the mean time.