Posthumous Pardons - Where next?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Big_Duke_Six, Oct 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The attached link from The Telegraph contains a story about campaigners seeking to get posthumous pardons for convicted witches despite the practice of declaring someone a witch and putting them to death ended in 1735.

We've pardoned WW1 veterans who were executed for alleged cowardice and issued wholesale apologies for the slave trade but where will this end? Will the Christian community be demanding an apology from the Jews for putting Jesus to death (even though this would be self-defeating in terms of Christian doctrine)?

Interestingly, I wonder if we should read too much (or even enough) into the fact that despite its smaller population, there were five times as many witch hunts in Scotland as in England.

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Utterly pointless exercise which is a doing nothing other than wasting public money and time.

3. Is 'witch hunts' some kind of rhyming slang? :wink:

4. Its sponsored by a fancy dress company, nothing but a PR gig

"The family behind Angels, the Hallowe'en costume supplier, came up with the idea for the petition and turned to historian Dr John Callow to collect some of the victims' stories."

If that isn't enough for you look at the info emails on the site

For further information on Pardon the British Witches, please contact:

Benjamin Webb / Toby Guise
    Phone 07930 408 224 / 07814 223 580
    Email:
    benjamin@deliberate-pr.com;
    toby@deliberate-pr.com

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Why should we pardon them :? Modern forensic evidence may well show them to be guilty of their crimes.

Burning was a bit harsh by modern standards, but it was enviromentally friendly and in line with current practices for the time period.

6. Is it April the 1st already?

FFS grow up and get a life.

7. msr

msr LE

In the UK, in 2008, everyone is a 'victim'. Even your ancestors.

msr

8. Next thing you know we'll be getting up a petition to forgive the all the executioners throughout time who have been following the orders of others in the carrying out of their duties!

9. IIRC the last witchcraft conviction was during the second world war. No burning though, she was sent to jail.

I don't think the offence of witchery was abolished in Scotland until the 1980s. Lots of other good stuff like trial by combat, selling tinned food on a Sunday being banned and women not being allowed to clean windows went then too.

10. Women? Allowed to clean windows? To the bus stop!!

11. I think the idea was that if they stood on the window ledges on the upper floors of tenements, blokes passing underneath would be able to see up their copious, Victorian skirts (no trouser wearing female transvestites in those days).

Any stout hearted son of the Empire who happened to look up at an inopportune moment, might catch a glimpse of some sturdy, knee length lingerie. He'd then have to run home and cover up the legs on the piano to prevent impure thoughts driving him to slay prostitutes in the Whitchapel area of London.

12. My first wife came from St Andrews, my current mother in law is from glasgow and my mother was from Perth. I would say there is absolutely nothing odd about there having been five times as many witch hunts in Scotland as in England...I imagine they had several times more successful ones too...

13. I've got 2 out of the 3 Cuddles - Mother from Yorkshire - Should I be scared :? :? :?

14. I would like to see a posthumous pardon for Guy Fawkes. He was a freedom fighter and a victim of religious discrimination. It will stop loads of squaddies worldwide getting jiffed with building bonfires and other bone jobs every 5th Nov.

As well as saving me from beating the shi'ite out of some little tw@t who lets a load of bangers off outside my Gaff just after I spent 1/2 an hour settling Little Taff in bed.