Posthumous award for troops killed on operations

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbaldy, Jun 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

How far back do they go?
    Northern Ireland?
    Cyprus (Eoka)
    North West Frontier?
  2. ZANU liebour spin, yet more crap that does not address the real lack of support the Forces get from this inept communist Government.
  3. Hastings?
    Caer Caradoc?

Perhaps backdating it would be a bad idea. Someone is going to be agrieved. Or maybe make it only applicable to ongoing conflicts, possibly make it available to only living parents/spouses/children.
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

"The Government thanks you for your sacrifice"

I'm sure words such as these have been used in the past. What does a 20p piece of metal shaped into some form of 'award' do for the families who'd much rather their sons had better equipment and were still alive?

The cynicism of this latest Zanu NL stunt makes me feel somewhat nauseous.
  5. And more to the point a cynical repeat of something used during and after the Great War:

Attached Files:

6. Yes, the "Dead Man's Penny"...I think the award should be something for display, rather than for wearing...
  7. It just annoys me that the NL answer to everthing seems to be a quick look in the history books.
  8. You don't need to be cynical to agree with that.
  9. The same history books that they want to prune anything out of that may not be in the vision of the leader, who ever that is now
  10. Can only be back to 1997, remember that in accordance with Zanu-Liarbore policy nothing happened before that date. Anymore references to battles before that date will result in a period of re-education for the poster.
  11. I read elsewhere that the scrolls were previously issued up to and including Korea.

I look forward to the day when mine can be displayed alongside my grandfathers.......
  12. Let's get this right, your ambition is to get killed?
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Indeed. There is no history other that which the Dear Leader has created for the good of the people. Before that, there was only corruption and wilderness.

Apart from that: Here's a better idea:

For those that earn gallantry medals, why not also give them a stonking great tax-free cash bonus as a gesture of thanks?

For those KIA, whether medal earners or not, why not give their families a stonking great big tax-free cash payout to help them out? I'm sure that an envelope full of money from the insurers, plus a shiny medal PLUS a gobment payout will go a lot further than a 'thank you' note and bit of brass.
  14. MOD has now officially announced plans for a new form of national recognition to honour the families of troops who die on operations or as a result of terrorism.

"Detailed consideration will now be given to the design and production of the scroll and emblem. The views of loved ones will be considered as a part of this process. Further details will be announced later this year."
  15. So a couple of million quid for a study, lots of consultants and liaison visits to come up with exactly what was issued 80 years ago? Following which there will be a twenty year backlog because the Army Medals Office can't keep up and there will not be a central list of casualties specifically set up for the purpose.