Posters

There is a new version of the poster

here

I've suggested (stolen from ViroBono)

Shot at in Iraq

Stabbed in the Back In Grays Lane

I went for that because we don't want anyone pointing out the soldier in the photo hasn't actually been shot, and we don't want to alienate Ashtead, just focus on Grays Lane a bit.

I had considered

Ashtead - you're a set of cnuts

But thought Moody's team may have trouble getting them into shop windows .....

Any more thoughts before we finalise?

FB

I was trying to go for the sympathy vote for the rest of the residents rather than attacking Grays Lane NIMBYs (as tempting as it was yesterday - old codger in garden giving us evils... :x )

If it's not going to be counter-productive, I'm game!

There is a new version of the poster

here

I've suggested (stolen from ViroBono)

Shot at in Iraq

Stabbed in the Back In Grays Lane

I went for that because we don't want anyone pointing out the soldier in the photo hasn't actually been shot, and we don't want to alienate Ashtead, just focus on Grays Lane a bit.

I had considered

Ashtead - you're a set of cnuts

But thought Moody's team may have trouble getting them into shop windows .....

Any more thoughts before we finalise?

FB

You need an attention grabbing headline.

It's a very clever and evocative poster , the leafy country lane is superb, but I can't help feeling the best photo for the right hand panel is the 'Paras in contact in Afghanistan' photo that featured in the Daily Telegraph. That photo should be reproduced in full colour , to give the light and dark contrast.

In addition , a emotive punchline i.e - Help Support our Wounded Heroes sign the petition" should be included above the "36grayslane" URL address.

This photo

V.2.0 of the poster is excellent.

Maybe a shot of more than one soldier might be good, as PTP suggests (though Crown or other copyright might be a b*gger).

Thinking about the text, and getting people to help, what about:

Shot at in Iraq

Don't let them be stabbed in the back in Ashtead

To see how you can help our wounded soldiers, visit www.36grayslane.co.uk
It might read better if the image was reversed i.e soldiers on the left (and 'shot at' headline upper left), lane on the right (headline lower right), 'help' line centred across the bottom. Either way, I'd crop out the wall (or whatever it is) to the right of the soldiers.

We will have the advantage that most local residents will probably be aware that there is an issue, so there shouldn't be a need for more detail. Suggest that shops be given a small supply of leaflets for those without internet access.

though Crown or other copyright might be a b*gger).
I think MoD would let this one slide?

I'lll add Psywar now Fluffy.

Could you please let him know, and emphasise to him that the presence of this forum is not to be discussed with anyone else?

PartTimePongo said:
though Crown or other copyright might be a b*gger).
I think MoD would let this one slide?
Possibly, but you never know. MoD are stupid enough to make an issue out of something relatively trivial, even when it's plain for all to see that it will come back and bite them on the arrse!

In any case, I suggest that PsyWar should first decide whether it can be used; he's putting in the considerable time it takes to use Photoshop effectively, and it may be too late to change.

I think that we need to be really careful that we don't alienate local people with any of this material, by insinuating that they might be the bad guys.

As PTP mentions, the vast majority of people in Ashstead have not oppposed the application and for all we know, from subsequent correspondence, would actively support it. Local opposition is restricted to about 60 or 70 near locals (not all of whom live in Grays Lane - there are residents of 3 roads involved). And of those, i'd say about 20 don't really know why they're opposing the application but have been told to do so.

Personally, I prefer the 'don't let him be stabbed, etc' approach, which is very effective but doesn't demonise the whole town (or Lane). Is it possibly worth also running something that has a more positive message along the lines of 'you can personally do something that will make a real difference to people's lives, by supporting, etc' Maybe as sub text?

cashbar said:
I think that we need to be really careful that we don't alienate local people with any of this material, by insinuating that they might be the bad guys.

As PTP mentions, the vast majority of people in Ashstead have not oppposed the application and for all we know, from subsequent correspondence, would actively support it. Local opposition is restricted to about 60 or 70 near locals (not all of whom live in Grays Lane - there are residents of 3 roads involved). And of those, i'd say about 20 don't really know why they're opposing the application but have been told to do so.

Personally, I prefer the 'don't let him be stabbed, etc' approach, which is very effective but doesn't demonise the whole town (or Lane). Is it possibly worth also running something that has a more positive message along the lines of 'you can personally do something that will make a real difference to people's lives, by supporting, etc' Maybe as sub text?
Agreed. I do think, however, that the objecting residents have pretty well alienated themselves, but we don't want to turn others against the project.

Maybe something like: "Make a difference today. To see how, visit www.etc"

In general, I think the fewer words the greater the impact. Hopefully the poster will encourage people to visit the website, where they can see the various ways they can help.

I also wondered about a possible alternative. It may have been done before, however.

Headline in large font:

CHARITY APPEAL

WE DON'T WANT YOUR MONEY

then the direction to the website - just a thought.

ViroBono said:
[Maybe something like: "Make a difference today. To see how, visit www.etc"

In general, I think the fewer words the greater the impact. Hopefully the poster will encourage people to visit the website, where they can see the various ways they can help.
Yes - totally agree the fewer words the better - mine was simply an inadequate attempt to articulate a possible 'good cop / bad cop' approach to the messaging

Yes - totally agree the fewer words the better - mine was simply an inadequate attempt to articulate a possible 'good cop / bad cop' approach to the messaging

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C The Intelligence Cell 0
E Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2
Bad CO ARRSE: Site Issues 53