Posted to Cyprus - where to start.

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Jonathan_C, Aug 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly, apologies if this thread or similar exists elsewhere but have had a scan through and not seen one.

Just found out today that I am posted to Cyprus in September, I have 5 weeks to go until I finish work in England and then it's out there and start work straight after relocation leave.

I have served in Germany and across England before but only time I have been in Cyrprus is when coming back from tour for decompression. I am a married SNCO with no children, but do own two cats. I have a car but it is a decent car and I have heard the road surfaces out there will wreck my suspension etc? Family have already said I can leave my car here if I choose to and declare it off the road for two years.

Any advice, tips, things to avoid, anything at all that's helpful is much appreciated. I only found out a few hours ago so have done nothing at all towards this move yet.

Cheers guys (and girls).

2. Where to start? From your house....get on the motorway to Dover....drive across Europe and get the ferry to Cyprus.

Seriously though, I would off road you car. mate of mine thought he would take his car over...cost him about 5K to get it over there and 2k or something to do the paperwork for it.

3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Where to start ?

Well, from what I've heard an FOB grin* might be in order - jammy git ! Unless you happen to be Danish....think Dale the Snail did some time out there if you want first-hand info ....sun, beaches, mountains, cheap beer and Greek food......dangit.....

* This is similar to an RDP grin but wider and with fewer fillings on show......

5. posted out there 1991-93ish to dhekilia

great posting, cheap food and beer, accomadation better than most at the time, £25 in a taxi to ayia napa from the front gate.
    most of the roads over there are ok unless your right out in the cuds, and the motorway across to limmasol is immaculate, as it doubles as a giant emergency runway in case they ever get invaded again,
    dont take your motor over just buy a knacker from who ever is getting posted out, or just do what every other sod used to do and pinch a moped to get back to camp on.

and finally stay away from any danes when carrying a shovel!!

6. Alernatively, what about dodgy car dealers, crap SFA, locals of both persuasions boring the pants of you talking about the "divide" (think "the troubles" multiplied by 10), Russkies all over the place and feral dogs and cats. That said, I was last there in 98* and am a miserable old sod, so what do I know? :)
    Like the old cliche, it is what you make of it, so enjoy - probably the last sunshine posting on the orbat.

*I also believe the introduction of the Euro has made it prohibitively expensive, even eating out (on the south side of the Island naturally).

7. I have been there recently, all you mention is still the same. Ref Euro, prices in Cyprus are insanely high and the LOA has been savagely cut (thanks Mr Cameron).

• Like Like x 1
  8. was out there 93 to 95 for the killings (it wasn't me) and back again 2005 to 2008.

roads are fine -better than pothole ridden UK with motorways across the island going through the SBA's, i brought a brand new tax-free car from germany out there and had no problems however do NOT import a Diesel as the tax will kill you. only cost me £600 each way to ship my big people carrier and i filled it with 5 MFO boxes aswell.

BFBS TV is pretty cool and with a UKIP you can watch all UK Internet TV (i.e. iPlayer, SkyPlayer, ITVplayer,4OnDemand, 5 etc.) to keep her indoors happy when she is not outdoors (mostly in the gentle winter).

get a pool in your garden for the summer and get used to being sat in it with a Keo Beer by 1400hrs daily.

if you end up saving money in Cyprus then you are not living it up out there like you should be so have a word with yourself.

it's a great place mate, enjoy it.

9. I suggest you get yourself and the Mrs out there ASAP, and enjoy the rest of summer, September will probably still be dry but definately cooling down, October the rain starts for winter. Cyprus out of the summer season is like Rhyl.

10. Brotherton Lad

11. You will be arriving at the end of the summer and it will be still be very hot, take plenty of sunblock with you, it's extortionate on the island and acclimatise properly.

Oh and make sure you ship a tumble drier and electric blankets - it can be bloody cold between January and April.

You will thank me.

12. Brotherton Lad

That's good advice, most quarters (if not all) have no central heating.

Ours had bottled gas for cooking and a single gas fire in the living room. Wooly pullies and waterproofs are required for a couple of months in the winter.

I think we took about 14 cubic metres of stuff out (family of five) and put the rest in storage. A fridge was provided.
    There's a good second market in the garrisons as people rotate in and out for things like cars, washing machines, TVs etc.

It's good for sports like orienteering, hill-walking in the Troodos, mountain-biking, hashing (is hashing a sport?), diving, sailing etc. Trips to the north are good, to the Pan Handle, Kyrenia/Girne. Get used to towns having 2 or 3 different names (Famagusta, Ammochostos and Gazimaguza are all the same place).

I understand the switch to the Euro (in the south, still New Turkish lira, YTL, in the north) has made things more expensive, though.

13. when were you last out there?

i'd say about 80% have Central Heating.

you can usually express a preference with the housing people out there - cheap and nasty (no heating) or luxury (like a palace).

you headed to Epi, Dhekelia, Akrotiri or Ayia Nik?

top tip mate - drop the HIVE for your location a line - they have information sheets that tell you EVERYTHING from the size of your MQ to the price per CC to import a vehicle to Cyprus.

the links are here: Ministry of Defence | Defence For... | The Service Community | HIVE Information Service | Overseas

hope that helps.

14. Brotherton Lad

I stand corrected, rgj. I left Dhekelia 5 years ago and now remember the new builds had solar panels on. They were slowly emptying the old style quarters and waiting for money to demolish them.

Just spent a while on Google Earth looking at the swimming pool quotient on the various Dhekelia patches.

15. Start off with a couple of Brandy Sours with your steak, then go on to Keo's and then Carlsbergs, while sitting about letting your dinner settle, putting the world to rights, then finish off with a few more Brandy Sours, while you get the karaoke out and howl at the moon. You lucky lucky lucky bastard!

• Like Like x 2