Posted in Cyprus - Claiming yearly flight for family

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by samm1551, Feb 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. samm1551

    samm1551 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

    Ok, I know I am the wife of, but I just want to clarify something.

    My dad wants me to go back with the kids to UK for mothers 60th. As I am an only child I would feel guilty if I don't make the effort. I have a 10 year old and a 1 year old (glutten for punishment).

    I know that we can go without the husband thing tagging along because he is on trb. However what I want to know is:

    1. Can I claim for the flight and the coach trip to home up to the spend limit?

    2. Can my Dad pay and we still claim it back (Only card airline will take is UK debit or Credit Card and all our money is here)

    3. Can I assume that I cannot claim for my youngest because she sits on my lap - not that it is a big deal.

    I would ask the company clerk, but he is away on ex at the moment and RAO is closed at the moment.

  2. Have you tried the Welfare Office?
  3. samm1551

    samm1551 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

    Yes, which is why I am asking here
  4. Your husband will need to be the one that claims via JPA providing that you have not already used your yearly entitlement. If your dad pays then you should still be able to claim it back as the tickets will be in your name (advisable to keep them for 2 years to prove this).

    As for not being able to claim for your youngest, I believe that airlines still charge a seat so you should be able to claim for that also.
  5. samm1551

    samm1551 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

    Thank you CherryViper. We haven't gone back at all yet, so I know we're entitled. I just wanted to make sure of things before I tell Dad whether to book or not.

    I would normally ask hubby's company clerk, but he is away and the RAO office is closed for some reason. Welfare, are shall we say, lacking in knowledge in that area.
  6. Depends on the airline, but infants seated on parents laps are not charged for a seat (although I believe you do pay airport taxes etc, which is of course reimbursable).

    As far as I can remmeber, privately arranged travel requires an authorisation letter, which will clarify the claimable limit. Although you can technically claim up to the limit, I believe you are expected to pursue the cheapest practical course of action.