Postcodes on PM on Radio 4 - Chance to raise the BFPO issue.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BuggerAll, Dec 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

PM on Radio 4 are running a feature on Postcodes. They are asking listeners to send in their postcodes in order to make a map of where their listeners are. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/pm/)

This presents us with an opportunity to raise the issue of recognising BFPO numbers in the postcode system. Please e-mail PM:
    pm@bbc.co.uk and ask them to look into the issue. I've done this already, but the more the merrier.

2. What do you mean by 'recognising the BFPO numbers in the postcode system' and why do you want it?

The BFPO system is not recognised as part of the UK post code system because it is not part of the UK post code system.

3. BuggerAll

See the sticky at the top of the the Int cell forum.

Its an issue for people in BFPO land because when they try and access service in the UK on the internet or by telephone they can't because the systems don't recognise BFPO numbers and won't allow them to put their addresses in.

As Dragstrip says BFPO numbers are not part of the Postcode system, but his implication that that is as it should be is perverse!

I notice that Dragstrip gives his location as 'south of Bicester' I really hope that this does not mean that he has something to do with the BFPO. Because if he does and yet is unaware of why there is a BFPO number/postcode issue then its no wonder that anybody who lives in BFPO land is f@cked!

4. I see what you mean.

Of course, BFPO is actually connected to the British Postal system. All mail with BFPO in the address goes to BFPO London for further sortation/distribution. The problem, as you say, is that many commercial address applications do not recognise BFPO numbers. The easiest solution to this is for BFPO to provide an address which does have a UK postcode as part of any BFPO Numbered address. For example:

24854111 SSgt Biggun
    1 Blankshires, Op Bandana
    BFPO 123
    c/o BFPO London
    West End Road, Northholt
    HA4 6DQ

ie. The bottom few lines gets the item to BFPO london and the rest gets it to the BFPO address.

Simple; in my mind (which is somewhat simple).

5. BuggerAll

You're right and that is a solution and I have used it - but it usually results in BFPO scrawling a rude note on the packet telling me to make sure that in future my correspondents should use the correct address etc.

6. Well, BFPO need to be pursuaded then. Fortunately, I know just the man for the job.

7. Dragstrip, this is an eminently sensible idea and one that would short cut all of the above BFPO related issues.. so you know some F*ckwit in Army will do their very best to stop it... Anything the ARRSE community can do to help? I think this is an easy one to fix with the right pressure applied...