Post WW2 British Armed Forces.....wearing the Iron Cross

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by boris7, May 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was chatting to an elderly veteran.......told me of a story of ex WW2 German servicemen enlisting in to British Army......further on in conversation....mentioned a German soldier enlisted into the Sherwood Foresters....and was allowed to wear his Iron Cross......does any members of arrse....know of any similar stories (fact)

2. Sure he wasn't winding you up? Or relating an urban myth from the 1950s?

3. I heard of a serving fella who was allowed to wear the medals of his father (on the right hand side of his uniform to complement his own being worn on the correct side) at a rememberance sunday parade ... and turned up with an Iron Cross.

4. Being retired and to "mark" time, I make "audio books" and focus on WW2 story's.....Perhaps..."me thinks"...should contact the Sherwoods for further clarification!............

5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

There is an ex-member of the Waffen-SS Totenkopf Division called Werner Volkner who married an Englishwoman and subsequently served in 2 RTR. He had the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd class, as well as the General Assault and wound badges which he was given permission to wear on ceremonial occasions. He wrote an interesting book about his life which came out a couple of years ago called 'Many Rivers I Crossed'. Both of his sons served in the British Forces: one in the RAF, one in the Army.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. 2rtr...havent heard that one before...
    i never met him...or heard of him,,,,you sure it was 2rtr...

7. Thanks for the info...........will do some more research....

8. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/05/05/nssvet105.xml&page=6
    Sounds like Gen Sir Harold was having a laugh!

Can't be many people who have the Chief Scout's Commendation for Good Service AND an Iron Cross though!
    http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/hq/awards/awards-2006-02.htm

9. westminster dragoons TAVR:--- are not "2RTR:
    they shared rhq rtr in elverton street in london with the westminsters...
    that is all. thought it sounded far fetched...

10. If they're yours and you've got'em; then you should wear'em!

Thats what I say.

11. perhaps I should look for German speaking Robin Hood!!!!!

12. A British Army medical corps doctor was awarded both the Victoria Cross and the Iron Cross. IIRC he got the Iron Cross for treating German wounded after he was taken prisoner.

In a similar tale, Surgeon Commander Rick Jolly was awarded a decoration by the Argentinians after the Falklands war. He commanded the British field hospital during the war and he saved many wounded Argentinians.

There's also a tale of a WWII pilot who was awarded the Victoria Cross on the recommendation of the Luftwaffe pilots he was fighting against.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. which edition of the victor comic are these tales from

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. There was a chap on R4 this very week who was in the Hitler Youth prior to WW2, and did his National Service with the British Army in Germany after the war.

He told the tale of their first attempts at marching as a squad, with him goosestepping along in fine style.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

There wa also a Guardsman who was awarded the VC on the reccomendation of the Germans- Grens in 44 45