Post WW2 British Armed Forces.....wearing the Iron Cross

I was chatting to an elderly veteran.......told me of a story of ex WW2 German servicemen enlisting in to British Army......further on in conversation....mentioned a German soldier enlisted into the Sherwood Foresters....and was allowed to wear his Iron Cross......does any members of arrse....know of any similar stories (fact)

I heard of a serving fella who was allowed to wear the medals of his father (on the right hand side of his uniform to complement his own being worn on the correct side) at a rememberance sunday parade ... and turned up with an Iron Cross.

Being retired and to "mark" time, I make "audio books" and focus on WW2 story's.....Perhaps..."me thinks"...should contact the Sherwoods for further clarification!............

cpunk

LE
There is an ex-member of the Waffen-SS Totenkopf Division called Werner Volkner who married an Englishwoman and subsequently served in 2 RTR. He had the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd class, as well as the General Assault and wound badges which he was given permission to wear on ceremonial occasions. He wrote an interesting book about his life which came out a couple of years ago called 'Many Rivers I Crossed'. Both of his sons served in the British Forces: one in the RAF, one in the Army.

2rtr...havent heard that one before...
i never met him...or heard of him,,,,you sure it was 2rtr...

cpunk said:
There is an ex-member of the Waffen-SS Totenkopf Division called Werner Volkner who married an Englishwoman and subsequently served in 2 RTR. He had the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd class, as well as the General Assault and wound badges which he was given permission to wear on ceremonial occasions. He wrote an interesting book about his life which came out a couple of years ago called 'Many Rivers I Crossed'. Both of his sons served in the British Forces: one in the RAF, one in the Army.
Thanks for the info...........will do some more research....

cpunk said:
On one occasion he was summoned to the presence of the regiment's honorary colonel, Gen Sir Harold Pyman, who asked him if he would like to wear his decorations won during the war, including his Iron Cross, on parade.

"I said the other lads might not like it, but he said nonsense, that I was entitled and I should make a formal submission and he would OK it," says Mr Volkner. "But it must have ended up in a bin because he died before he could sign it. So I never did get to wear my medals."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/05/05/nssvet105.xml&page=6
Sounds like Gen Sir Harold was having a laugh!

Can't be many people who have the Chief Scout's Commendation for Good Service AND an Iron Cross though!
http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/hq/awards/awards-2006-02.htm

westminster dragoons TAVR:--- are not "2RTR:
they shared rhq rtr in elverton street in london with the westminsters...
that is all. thought it sounded far fetched...

A British Army medical corps doctor was awarded both the Victoria Cross and the Iron Cross. IIRC he got the Iron Cross for treating German wounded after he was taken prisoner.

In a similar tale, Surgeon Commander Rick Jolly was awarded a decoration by the Argentinians after the Falklands war. He commanded the British field hospital during the war and he saved many wounded Argentinians.

There's also a tale of a WWII pilot who was awarded the Victoria Cross on the recommendation of the Luftwaffe pilots he was fighting against.

There was a chap on R4 this very week who was in the Hitler Youth prior to WW2, and did his National Service with the British Army in Germany after the war.

He told the tale of their first attempts at marching as a squad, with him goosestepping along in fine style.

pupgreen said:
which edition of the victor comic are these tales from
Cheeky barsteward.

The doctor was William Manley, an army surgeon who won the Iron Cross and Victoria Cross in the 19th Century LINK

Rick Jolly's exploits were told to me by the man himself during a lecture he gave in London about 15 years ago. He received the OBE from the Queen in 1983 and he was also given the Orden de Mayo (ODM) from Argentina. Read about him on the BBC site LINK

The pilot was Flying Officer Lloyd Trigg. His VC was awarded on the recommendation of the Captain of a German U Boat that he sank and not, as I thought, on the recommendation of Luftwaffe pilots. LINK

Now go and catalogue your collection of comics. :wink:

Ancient_Mariner said:
pupgreen said:
which edition of the victor comic are these tales from
Cheeky barsteward.

The doctor was William Manley, an army surgeon who won the Iron Cross and Victoria Cross in the 19th Century LINK

Rick Jolly's exploits were told to me by the man himself during a lecture he gave in London about 15 years ago. He received the OBE from the Queen in 1983 and he was also given the Orden de Mayo (ODM) from Argentina. Read about him on the BBC site LINK

The pilot was Flying Officer Lloyd Trigg. His VC was awarded on the recommendation of the Captain of a German U Boat that he sank and not, as I thought, on the recommendation of Luftwaffe pilots. LINK

Now go and catalogue your collection of comics. :wink:

Rick Jolly excellent surgeon......done my gut surgery during the Falklands

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Lt Cdr Roope VC, Captain of HMS Glowworm, was awarded his posthumous VC as a result of a recommendation from the Captain of Hipper, the German cruiser that he engaged and rammed.

In the RAF Tangmere museum near Chichester (Douglas Bader's old base) there is a set of medals belonging to a German Jew who had both German and British medals.

In WW1 he was a pilot awarded the Iron Cross, by 1939 he had fled from Germany and was in the REME where he served in the Desert and Italian campaigns.