Post service employment

woksmuggler

Old-Salt
A quick question for a steer.

I have been told anecdotally that generally, service leavers stay approximately two years in a job post service.

Does anyone know if this is an officially sanctioned statistic as looking at the MoD, Veteran & CTP data online, there is no mention of it; I am asking to see whether the Arrse community could offer some clarification.

I am asking, as want to cite this statistic, but without a source I am loathed to do so.

WS

I have been told anecdotally that generally, service leavers stay approximately two years in a job post service.

Does anyone know if this is an officially sanctioned statistic as looking at the MoD, Veteran & CTP data online, there is no mention of it; I am asking to see whether the Arrse community could offer some clarification.

I am asking, as want to cite this statistic, but without a source I am loathed to do so.

WS

I don’t see how any of those agencies would know. I don’t recall any questionnaires, post-service. HMRC would know who the employer was, but if you left and joined say the Civil Service, you could feasibly have different jobs there during your tenure.

Personally the job I first had on leaving the Army lasted 9 months. I started the next place the day after, and stayed there 16 years with 4 or 5 different job roles/titles.

WS
My first post army job lasted a decade, with all the associated promotions and pay rises, but it was a good job, well within my abilities.
From other experience, working for a military charity, I'd say the biggest hurdle to overcome, particularly for low skilled ex mil, is that nobody outside cares what you used to do for a living, it's all about what can you do now and in the future?

woksmuggler

Old-Salt
Thanks for your responses - it's something I've heard bit without any citeable source - I think it may be one of those stock phrases that doesn't have any actual evidence backing it up - it would be difficult to capture such data as I was never asked about my employment status after I left - has that changed?

WS

WS

I think it would need to be broken down into a lots more statistics, I'd venture a guess and say blokes who have done 22 years, would stay in a civvie job longer because they knew years before when they were going to leave and got quals for the job they want and if they are intelligent enough, will have a 6 month window from before they officially leave the army to get a job, where as Pte Atkins, who is leaving because "The army is shit" will only have a couple of months (his own leave plus terminal leave) to get a job and will probably take what ever work he can get and then think about looking for a job that he wants to stay in.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I did a few years self employed, then 18 months with a company in London, now almost 4 1/2 years with the current company (and a job interview on monday)

I lasted 9 months in my first job, a security guard, while regaining my accreditation back into the building and construction industry, once i re registered, with the JIB, i stayed in the same trade for a further 36 years, then retired, after 50 years as a sparks, nine of them in the Royal signals.. Discharged in 1981. :salut:

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I went into management for a very large recovery company. My first month I was supposed to work with the vehicles, getting to know the civvy kit and the way the lads operated.

The kit was left in shite order after a job, kit was left at a recovery site, kit was put in the nearest storage bin, not the correct one, the cabs were minging, some of the lads were skivers, nobody wanted to do nights. How they managed to keep a 'professional image' that the owners were proud to identify themselves with, was beyond me. I put a report into the MD as he had requested and I was told that I wouldn't fit in. I lasted a week.

To try to find a useable statistic will be impossible for a whole range of reasons some of which are explored above. Some trades more easily map to civvie jobs. Length of service will be important as will finishing rank. I was a TA soldier but have had a bit to do with recruiting ex-military personnel in my civvie job. Military resettlement is generally pretty poor and raises expectations which civvie employers will not fulfil. The people I know have generally "job hopped" for a bit on leaving the service before finding their niche in the world but it's not an easy or familiar world. Military Personnel also need to recognise the range of transferrable skills that they have and be able to translate them into civilian CVs

WS

Two points:

1. As someone with a bit of an academic background: Never quote/cite without a source. Preferably with a second source to back up the first.

2. Mrs Effendi is a Chief Human Resource Officer and is sat next to me, so I put your question to her. She says its a load of tosh, as someone who was a senior civvy with the miltary and is an enthusiastic employer of ex-military personnel she has never heard of it. You would need an organised methodology for collecting some very diversly distributed data in order to make the claim with evidence.

What does happen in the private sector is that to progress a career to the highest level of individual ability/ambition is that regular moves have to be made. You cannot stay at a level for more than 2.5/3 years without starting a job search for the next level. This is generally also anecdotal too, but if you look at some top end CV’s, or even look at some linkedin profiles you’ll see it is not far off. Maybe someone has crossed wires and come up with the 2 year number that way.

Mrs Effendi also said; if you come up with a decent source for this she would be interested in knowing.

woksmuggler

Old-Salt
Two points:

1. As someone with a bit of an academic background: Never quote/cite without a source. Preferably with a second source to back up the first.

2. Mrs Effendi is a Chief Human Resource Officer and is sat next to me, so I put your question to her. She says its a load of tosh, as someone who was a senior civvy with the miltary and is an enthusiastic employer of ex-military personnel she has never heard of it. You would need an organised methodology for collecting some very diversly distributed data in order to make the claim with evidence.

What does happen in the private sector is that to progress a career to the highest level of individual ability/ambition is that regular moves have to be made. You cannot stay at a level for more than 2.5/3 years without starting a job search for the next level. This is generally also anecdotal too, but if you look at some top end CV’s, or even look at some linkedin profiles you’ll see it is not far off. Maybe someone has crossed wires and come up with the 2 year number that way.

Mrs Effendi also said; if you come up with a decent source for this she would be interested in knowing.
If I find it, I'll share it.

Mosquito

Clanker
This isn't a quick solution, but a strategy to answer this question (albeit in a very basic way) would be to ask the Royal British Legion to contact 1000 elderly veterans and ask them the following questions:
1. When did they leave the services?
2. How many jobs have they had since discharge?
3. When did they permanently stop working?

Subtract 1 from 3 and divide by 2.

Latest Threads