Post-operational leave

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Kookullin, Jan 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Back in the day, when POTL and annual leave was being worked out for TA soldiers coming off an operational tour, weekends were deducted from the period of leave. So 20 days' POTL equalled just short of three calendar weeks, rather than four.

Is this still how leave after an operational tour and before demobilisation is calculated?
  2. msr

msr LE

When I came back from TELIC6 it was 40 working days.

3. Mine was something like a days POTL for every nine or ten days in theatre plus Bank Holidays.

That was in 2003 though.
  4. That was mine too, and use all of it , don't be pressured by your former employer to go back early, mine tried to do that to me.
  5. It says in the call-out papers that it is 1 day's POTL for every nine in theatre - so, 20 days for a six-month tour. Plus you get 2.5 days' leave for every month mobilised, which is 25 days for 10 months. That's 45 days in total. You get any bank holidays you missed, as well.

From that they deduct any leave you had pre-deployment.

My question is not about the amount of leave they award you in days, but whether or not they count weekends as leave when they work out your final day in uniform and your demob date. msr says they count working days only: can anyone else confirm?
  6. A I recall, late 2006 when i was demobbed, it was working days.
  7. msr

msr LE

I didn't have one ;) But I did manage to extend it by doing my 3 week JOTAC course during the POTL.

8. msr

msr LE

You are best phoning Chilwell if you want 'gospel'.

9. when I got back, it was indeed counted as working days. So the weekends didnt count.
    I ended up with just over 7 weeks. Went back to work after 5 cause I was bored out my skull and was starting to go stir crazy.
  10. Thanks, fellas.
  11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

If you want to go back to work during POTL, check with RTMC, as you officially need the Army's permission first (as they are still paying you). Not usually a problem, and it can prove handy to have a week or two on double wages!

Be aware though that, if you are being paid any extras under the 'top-up' legislation, that RTMC could ask for some of it back. This isn't usually the case as it's not worth the bother, but if you are a consultant brain surgeon then they may want a partial refund.

Finally, in one recent case an employer tried to get away with not paying the Soldier who returned to work early from POTL, as they objected to the man being paid double (the only recorded case of this). The employer? A large part of a Government Department, based at Abbey Wood...........