Post Nominals Question - MSM

Discussion in 'Medals' started by Vladimir_Ilyich_Crab, Feb 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does the Meritorious Service Medal entitle you to use the post nominals 'MSM'?

Just wondered because I have seen it in somebodies email sig block and never have before.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Isnt MSM Microsoft messenger?
  3. The Canadian MSM can be used as post-nominals.
  4. Dunno.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Intersting point there, usually its only full members of institutes that may use the post nominals, I have seen FIRSE and AMIRSE used, neither of which are permitted by the IRSE which is why I didnt bother with membership.
    I ask as in front of me is a letter from the force firearms manager using AIExpe as a Post Nominal and I'm not sure she should be using it.
    It would be ebarrassing for her as she is new in post and already making more mistakes than her predecessor ever managed!
  6. May have meant to have been MISM, Member of the Institute for Supervisory Management.
  7. The question is not can you but should you. If you put a load of trivial nonsence behind your name all it really says about you is "look at me, Im not a Walt but Im trying hard to be one".

If, for example, you are less than a full member of an institute, you may be allowed by the institute to use a post nominal but think about it - what does it say to anyone who knows anything about it (and to all the others who dont, it just makes you look pretentious).

Its a bit like using your military rank on retirement - if you are not at least a Colonel, it just advertises the fact that you did NOT have a particularly distinguished career!
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I recall working for a firm that couldnt understand my lack of PNs. I relented and admitted GSM, they asked what it was and I replied Got Same Medal as ever other fecker!
  9. Is there a list of those awarded MSM on Telic? I'd like to publically embarrass a fat TA brickie in the pub on Friday. He got it for 'firing a UGL round through a window thus allowing his chaps to extract'.
  10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

MSM isn't awarded for Ops, it's for being an all round good guy:
    Ministry of Defence | Defence For... | Veterans | Medals | MSM
  11. Hector, Having read OBs link, your fat TA brickie is telling little porkies. I bet he was never even on ops. I'll be honest and say that, until I read that link, I had no idea there was a British MSM (The yanks have something with the same/a very similar nam that is given out a bit more frequently).