Post German capitulation military law, WW2

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by stoatman, Oct 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yesterday, I was watching Paul Verhoeven's new film "Zwartboek" ("black book"). The plot is quite complicated, so I will not go into it here. Anyhow, an interesting plot device was used for a nasty German (who was being used by the Allies to help in the post capitulation administration, not knowing that he was particularly nasty) to get rid of a not so nasty German who knew all sorts of things about the nasty one.

Essentially, just before the capitulation, the nasty German had signed the death warrant for the not so nasty German on the grounds of high treason, but the not so nasty German escapes. After capitulation, The not so nasty German is picked up and brought before Canadian intelligence. The nasty German happens to be standing there, and brings the death warrant to the attention of the military intelligence Colonel, who says essentially "such things are of little importance". The nasty German then quotes chapter and verse of the post capitulation military law, the crux of which is that the Germans are allowed to punish their own, therefore the execution order is still legally valid, and invites the colonel to phone his general to check.

The Canadians therefore permit the execution by firing squad of the not so nasty German on this basis.

Essentially, my question is, is this scenario plausible?
  2. As far as I know, that was the situation: existing German law was used - shorn of some specific Nazi bits - so that the German coppers and civpop didn't have to adapt to anything new, and thus could be governed much more easily. (Pity that the w**kers who planned Telic never opened a history book on how to occupy an ex-enemy country....)
  3. "opened a history book?" [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Best larff all day, thanks

4. They did, but I understand that those who did,were told that the Occupation of Iraq would follow a "Faith Based Strategy"
  5. Ah, would that be the gospel according to Chevron or Exxon :?

6. I recall reading in Antony Beevor's book "Crete - The Battle and The Resistance" that German military law was permitted when the Germans on Crete surrendered and the British occupation forces were on the way from Egypt. In this brief intervening period several Wehrmacht soldiers found guilty of looting were executed by the Germans.

Also recall in "Band Of Brothers" series a scene where armed German Feldpolizei and US Airborne are jointly manning a traffic checkpoint after the surrender.
  7. It does seem strange, however, to recognise an execution order for high treason against a regime which no longer exists, does it not?
  8. Stoatman did we attend the same school ?
    Ya first post is one I could be proud of.
    I understand a General Officer had some form of authority to carry out summary executions.
    GOC Panzer Lher Div Bayerlin (?) reputedly order the execution of a SS trooper who was grossly insorbodinate to him.
  9. More importantly Stoat -

a) did you enjoy the film?

b) did you spot me in it??
  10. Yes, and yes
  11. After the German capitulation the German POWs in Amsterdam organised a trial and accused two young sailors of treason.
    They demanded to be allowed to shoot them, the Canadians gave them a few rifles and bullests and the two boys were shot.
    By this time the war in Europe was already over.
  12. I recall an incident where a German POW was tried by his own people in a POW Camp and was sentenced to death. It was agreed that he would be shot and a number of rifles where provided with one round in each rifle. The deed was done and the rifles were handed back
  13. W.Anchor,
    POW camp at Flensburg I think.
  14. The Dutch story happened in the docks near Amsterdam Central Station.