Post Defence Review Flap-Doodle

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by gallowglass, Jul 26, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Might I be so bold as to suggest that a collective pause be drawn before the reaction to the recent Defence Review (or cuts, or regimental axing or whatever you're having yourself....) pushes us collectively over the edge, lemming-like?

I know that others here on ARRSE have already called for judgement to be reserved on this whole business, such as whether the CGS is a 'to blame' or not. At the risk of stating the obvious, the UK is not South America, and tanks will not be encircling parliament anytime soon, nor are the senior officers of the various services appointed on the basis of a show of hands. I am a little dismayed to see in certain newspapers that supporters of various regiments that are rumoured to be for the chop are sniping at one another. I even see that the rumour mill has reached such a pitch that The Sunday Express ran a story to the effect that Sandhurst is going to go also. I can almost hear the collective apoplexy as myriad retired colonels almost choke on their brandy, but I personally think (and hope) that such spoof is only so much hot air. There is a danger here of half-baked rumours, fuelled by genuine fears, building up to a critical mass.

Before I am metaphorically clobbered on suspicion of waving the flag for this review, I am not. I just believe that there is a certain lack of logic in the reaction. Personally, I am going to wait and see what happens.

2. Aye, that's all very well, Gallowglass. But we're doomed, I tell ye. Doomed! :roll: Pass the Webley.......

3. Well I know that, but still...oh what's the point? Snub-nosed cartridges sir?

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

New Labour is coming to get you...

(Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't talking about cutting you)

5. The old Maxim comes to mind, Unitied we stand, devided we fall.

Keep the Powder dry.

The motley crew at the helm, will get their deliverance via the Ballot box.

I have selected the candidate , streets ahead of them all and will win hands down, Clives Brother.

http://www.worldonphoto.com/imagepages/5m8.htm

No Offence to the Candidate, he has more intelligence, than them all put to-gether. :D

6. That's a particularly fine picture of Margaret Beckett...

7. I am a little dismayed to see in certain newspapers that supporters of various regiments that are rumoured to be for the chop are sniping at one another.

Fair play to you GG.

8. There may be a bit of hysteria out there (and on here) but its unfounded rumours that make many of us to get out bed! There's nothing like a good ole bit of doom and gloom to cheer people up!

Personally, its all a done deal but I don't think the pressure being exerted to reform the WRAC will ever come to fruiton myself. Since the invention of immac and female shaving gear, the recruitment base has disappeared.