Post Covid BUSINESS DEAD POOL

Question is, which businesses will be going down the pan within a year of the COVID-19 pandemic coming to a reasonable end?

My money's on, and in no particular order:

HMV
Dunelm
Pretty Green

D

Deleted 164106

Lush, hopefully.

1. Their campaign against Police Officers.
2. The assault on my olfactory senses whenever I get within 200m of one.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
eXtinction Rebellion
And don't say they're not a business, they are, just extremely decentralised and currently all working from home.

Other than that, any business that has been limping along, month to month for far too long - most non-chain pubs for example.

I do think that a lot of 'local shops' that haven't been gouging their customers will see most people that used them as a 'last option' to get what they needed will keep using them (myself included) as going to the larger supermarkets is such a pain, and will be moreso when we're back at work. I've found it quicker and easier to visit four local shops to get the bi-weekly (used to be weekly) shopping than go to the Sainsburys, so maybe there'll be a contraction of the supermarkets as well?

Lush, hopefully.

1. Their campaign agains Police Officers.
They've already failed once before

They started out as Cosmetics To Go, but had an IT systems failure, and no back ups

That crippled the business, as a mail order business they didn't know who had ordered goods, who their customers were or who they owed money to and in short order they went under

Same factory, and staff but under a new name reappeared as Lush

Not sure if they've learnt their lessons, but surely there's always a market for women buying overpriced soaps and smellies?

I'd bet on music venues closing, and small family owned holiday parks

Both will end being bought up by larger companies

Cinemas
Property Management companies (shopping malls for example)
Stagecoach and other transport companies of that ilk
10-18% of the high street (all types of retailers and hospitality providers)
Hotel chains (large and small)

Boom industries:

Insolvency Practitioners....

eXtinction Rebellion
And don't say they're not a business, they are, just extremely decentralised and currently all working from home.

Other than that, any business that has been limping along, month to month for far too long - most non-chain pubs for example.

I do think that a lot of 'local shops' that haven't been gouging their customers will see most people that used them as a 'last option' to get what they needed will keep using them (myself included) as going to the larger supermarkets is such a pain, and will be moreso when we're back at work. I've found it quicker and easier to visit four local shops to get the bi-weekly (used to be weekly) shopping than go to the Sainsburys, so maybe there'll be a contraction of the supermarkets as well?
Judgeing by their turnout today, I'll give the until the weekend.

XR losers in York

Cinemas
Property Management companies (shopping malls for example)
Stagecoach and other transport companies of that ilk
10-18% of the high street (all types of retailers and hospitality providers)
Hotel chains (large and small)

Boom industries:

Insolvency Practitioners....
Our local council brought the shopping centre and a local industrial estate as an investment, joe public told them it was a bad idea but what the feck do we know. Brought to you by the council where the CFO gave the chief executive a secret 50% pay raise and the councillors appear to have tried to cover it up until it was public knowledge then started finger pointing.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

Dr Death

War Hero
WH Smith but only the shops.
The newspaper & magazine distribution will be sold off?

TamH70

MIA
Bah. Open goal missed again, folks.

The BBC.

At least in its current form.

Dr Death

War Hero
Let the BBC run advertisement & then it could compete with ITV & Sky for sport.
The BBC nowadays is past its best & radio only has TMS & Radio 4Extra which is any good.
Sell the beeb of to ginger evans or beardy branson and make it work.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Lush, hopefully.

1. Their campaign against Police Officers.
I occasionally buy stuff when visiting a friend of mine down in the Channel Islands. (You'll be delighted to know Guernsey doesn't have a Lush...)

I asked the girls how they could work in there. Apparently your sense of smell gets battered into submission after 20 - 30 minutes.

Wordsmith

WH Smith but only the shops.
The newspaper & magazine distribution will be sold off?
Good, we have a small one in work. The prices they charge are fucking ridiculous.
500ml coke, £1.30 pretty much everywhere. Whsmiths £1.99.
Everything bar books and magazine well over priced.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Question is, which businesses will be going down the pan within a year of the COVID-19 pandemic coming to a reasonable end?

My money's on, and in no particular order:

HMV
Dunelm
Pretty Green
Service companies will do better than manufacturing companies. The IT company I work for is working entirely from home and we're collaborating via Microsoft Teams, etc. In terms of getting work out the door, Covid 19 hasn't had a big impact and there are no plans to reopen any offices anytime soon. From reading the tea leaves, we may never return to full time office working, with a mixture of smaller offices and people coming in a few days a week and working the rest from home.

Manufacturing is going down the sh*tter. A lot of companies can't withstand the loss of a quarter's production.

Boutique businesses will make a comeback - social distancing is less of a problem with only a handful of employees.

Wordsmith

Lush, hopefully.

1. Their campaign agains Police Officers.
Agreed, I was in the same class at school as Mark Constantine and his whole back story about being kicked out by his parent is BS. Ditto the bit about living rough. Strangely I worked with his wife just before I joined up. She was really strange and to be true I think she is more responsible for his later flakey behaviour.

Manufacturing is going down the sh*tter. A lot of companies can't withstand the loss of a quarter's production.
Brother-in-law is a senior manager at a firm that makes parts for aircraft and two weeks ago he was made redundant, 3 months notice with no requirement to go to work plus two weeks holiday pay, seems like it's already fucked.

Latest Threads