Post Brexit Free Trade Deal With USA.

If you google the first paragraph of the text and click on that link it will let you in behind the paywall. This works with some newspapers and I just tried it now with this one. It's an editorial and it does mention several of the objectives which some US lobbyists would like to see in a future trade deal with the UK. They haven't had much luck with getting them in other trade treaties however. Wishes by lobbyists don't necessarily translate into terms in trade deals.

There were several other paragraphs in that news story which are more directly relevant to current Brexit news but which oddly enough the original poster didn't bother to mention. I'll quote them here:

and:

So the above is an indication by how the current Brexit impasse is seen by at least some people elsewhere in the world.
You can say my name...I won't spontaneously combust.

Because ultimately, headcount costs money, and no Government Department spends until it absolutely has to.
We had a Brexit office set up and staffed before you had the vote......just in case.

There is a great deal of misinformation in the UK press and twitter-sphere about what the UK has been doing in the rest of the world with respect to Brexit preparations, and this same misinformation/disinformation is continuing despite being repeatedly debunked.
Interestingly, this seems to be a phenomenon that transcends the particular nation and issue(s) at hand. I wonder why that is?

Remind me again. When was the referendum?
Why haven't these people been recruited before now?
The posts are for negotiating Brexit with the EU. I seem to recall some of that going on already. However, there may possibly have been some recent staff turn-over due to a change in upper management which has resulted in a need for replacements.

Interestingly, this seems to be a phenomenon that transcends the particular nation and issue(s) at hand. I wonder why that is?
There was a Youtube video which somebody posted which I wish I could find again. It was made by a leftist-hipster type and themed along the lines of "why we keep losing". It covered both the US election of Trump and the UK Brexit referendum.

A short summary would be "calling your opponents stupid racists does not convince them to vote for you". In the video he goes over examples of how "his" side were talking to themselves rather than talking to the public at large. They were trying to say comforting things to themselves about their own beliefs rather than trying to understand how their opponents felt and trying to change their minds. Even if you don't agree with his political opinions you should be able to agree with his analysis of how a failure to understand and respect other points of view can lead to failing to convince other people that your own point of view is the correct one.

I could draw some good examples of this from how certain threads here seem to run, but I'm pretty sure that this post would just be met with a shower of negative emojis and a hurricane of insults from those who are convinced that the reason they can't win the argument is because their opponents are all just <insert personal insult here>.

Now I will admit that some posters on this site genuinely are stupid and spout nothing but humourless one line insults or vacuous platitudes. However, political issues are won at the margins, and people whose opinion can be changed are generally people who are looking for reasoned arguments. Insulting them doesn't convince them. Feeding them a diet of fear may work for a short period of time, but eventually they become inured to it, especially when the supposedly dire consequences shrink to minor issues when put into context. Repeating factoids from twitter/facebook that have been repeatedly debunked just makes them distrust whatever else you may say. When you can't come up with consistent reasoned arguments in favour of your point of view, then people begin to suspect that this may be because there aren't any.

If somebody recognised the above mentioned video then it is well worth posting it again as it contains a lesson for everyone.

Blogg

LE
The joys of dealing with the USA, or negotiating when the other side holds all the cards.

'The US will not negotiate a free trade deal with the UK unless a new digital services tax is dropped, according to a newspaper report. The measure, which was proposed in 2018 by then chancellor Philip Hammond in response to fears that technology giants were not paying their fair share of tax, is due to come into effect in April next year.'

And here we go:

Now that the election has confirmed that the majority of the country wished to leave the EU, and the new PM is getting on with the job with good speed, the issue of a free trade deal with the US is once more an important issue for both countries.

The general view of both sides seems to be that it is going to be a positive move, and this was an interesting article, albeit a bit dated.
UK-and-US-trade-prospects-for-a-free-trade-deal.pdf

Another,

And a somewhat more enthusiastic atmosphere about it in general.

All nuked by Johnson agreeing to let Huawei into our 5G network.

He doesn't even manage to pimp our collective sphincter to the Yanks competently.

Jesus even we're in the process of removing Huawei kit from various networks, and we're incompetent at this sort of thing...

Jesus even we're in the process of removing Huawei kit from various networks, and we're incompetent at this sort of thing...

Why? Are you worried the Chinese might snaffle the recipe for Guiness?

He doesn't even manage to pimp our collective sphincter to the Yanks competently.
That's ok. We do retain the special relationship, and are not bending you over the barrel just yet.

That's ok. We do retain the special relationship, and are not bending you over the barrel just yet.

Whadayaknow? It's almost as if it wasn't a game ending issue to buy from those sneaky <someone other than a US company> after all!

The UK really is now a collective bitch to so many countries, now that it's out. Grovelling and haggling for deals.
Doesn’t affect you - you are a yank ;)

Latest Threads