Post Brexit Free Trade Deal With USA.

Free Trade agreements were debated in the House earlier this year, and very interesting too, given the amount of ignorance surrounding what would be involved.

In the summing up it was stated that the Government was listening closely to the views expressed in that debate and will reflect seriously on them before laying the outline approaches to their first negotiations before the House.

They stated that an exit from the European Union will provide the UK with a golden opportunity to negotiate, sign and ratify new free trade agreements as an independent free trading nation for the first time in more than 40 years, and that it was an opportunity that the Government party were determined to seize.

Hopefully it will have given some impetus to ironing out potential points of contention and wondering if/when it will come up again, as it has become a far more likely scenario now.

Last edited:
The joys of dealing with the USA, or negotiating when the other side holds all the cards.

'The US will not negotiate a free trade deal with the UK unless a new digital services tax is dropped, according to a newspaper report. The measure, which was proposed in 2018 by then chancellor Philip Hammond in response to fears that technology giants were not paying their fair share of tax, is due to come into effect in April next year.'

Truxx

LE
The joys of dealing with the USA, or negotiating when the other side holds all the cards.

'The US will not negotiate a free trade deal with the UK unless a new digital services tax is dropped, according to a newspaper report. The measure, which was proposed in 2018 by then chancellor Philip Hammond in response to fears that technology giants were not paying their fair share of tax, is due to come into effect in April next year.'

That will be the same tax that the EU want imposing.

the Hammond tax will raise £400m pa. So a drop in the ocean.

WSJ not even bothering to pretend anymore...

If anyone was ever under any illusion that our part in a trade agreement was to agree to be bent over and podgered senseless, that should put it to bed.

Boris should nationalise Vaseline - we're going to need it.

This morning must have been the first time I have heard the BBC’s “ToDay” programme Humphries stuck for words, and uncertain how to “steer” his interview.

The interview was with former Australian PM Tony Abbot - of course - discussing BREXIT.

Tony Abbot was quite clear, forthright, coherent, and explained “No-Deal” in words of one syllable that Humphries could clearly understand, but to which he reacted as though it was the first time . . . in three years . . . that he had shut-up and taken the effort to LISTEN.

The interview finished, with me listening and wearing a big grin . . . and Humphries clearly crestfallen, quite, and confused . . . :) .

It starts at 2:43:00 -to - 2:48:00

Note: posted in any/all thread with a title including the word BREXIT.

This morning must have been the first time I have heard the BBC’s “ToDay” programme Humphries stuck for words, and uncertain how to “steer” his interview.

The interview was with former Australian PM Tony Abbot - of course - discussing BREXIT.

Tony Abbot was quite clear, forthright, coherent, and explained “No-Deal” in words of one syllable that Humphries could clearly understand, but to which he reacted as though it was the first time . . . in three years . . . that he had shut-up and taken the effort to LISTEN.

The interview finished, with me listening and wearing a big grin . . . and Humphries clearly crestfallen, quite, and confused . . . :) .

It starts at 2:43:00 -to - 2:48:00

Note: posted in any/all thread with a title including the word BREXIT.

I found that interview with Tony Abbot to be well worth listening to.

If anyone was ever under any illusion that our part in a trade agreement was to agree to be bent over and podgered senseless, that should put it to bed.

Boris should nationalise Vaseline - we're going to need it.
And you think the EU wont?

And you think the EU wont?
Wed have a say in it as members. As a third party desperately seeking trade agreements wherever we can, what are our chances of retaining **** virginity?

Wed have a say in it as members. As a third party desperately seeking trade agreements wherever we can, what are our chances of retaining **** virginity?
The only political entity that seems to be bending the UK over and giving them a thorough reaming is the EU.

But then again the British establishment types always were known for wanting to be on the receiving end of a BDSM relationship with their dominatrix. The more the EU punish and abuse you, the more you love it and are unable to leave them.

I can't see what it is you find so attractive about Jean Claude Junker in fishnet stockings though. Each to his own, I suppose.

Is that factual news or "opinion"?
Opinion piece behind a paywall. That kind of trivial detail will never stop our Irish correspondent from flailing on these hallowed pages.

You get a funny, being poor does not come close to describing the shit show that will be known as the Northern Irish economy post Brexit.
FIFY...why do you hate your co Unionists so much?....have they not given enough for Mrs Windsor and country?

For shame!...:-(

FIFY...why do you hate your co Unionists so much?....have they not given enough for Mrs Windsor and country?

For shame!...:-(
Why don't you copy and paste the article you linked to ? It would be a shame if you were shown to be desperate enough to link to an article that you cannot access, instead relying on a headline to support your point of view.

On the post I have quoted above, once again you're wrong. I have nothing against my "co Unionists " as you put it. I was referring, as you well know, to your part of the world south of the border. I hope that your sense of humour will be enough to carry you through the next economic downturn.

Latest Threads