Post Brexit Free Trade Deal With USA.

“Access to the Single Market” simply means ability to sell goods within the EU
Everybody can sell goods to the EU. Barnier has been pretty clear that he sees "access to the Single Market" as short hand for the UK continuing to accept EU policy leadership.
It is not clear to me whether, when the UK leaves the EU and the Single Market, it will also choose to leave Europe's societal and regulatory model. That is the key question, and we are waiting for an answer. Because that answer will be key for our future relationship. I hope that our UK friends are reflecting carefully on this issue. Because the UK cannot expect high-quality access to our Single Market if it insists on competing on State aid, social or environmental standards. I would not want to be misunderstood: Competition between our economies is not a bad thing. Countries compete with each other, also within the Single Market. But competition needs to be based on common high levels of standards to make sure it is fair.

The EU opening position is a “free trade area”

The UK’s is a “free trade agreement or ... based simply based on the Withdrawal Agreement..”

to be honest the UK appears to be playing to the masses (taking back control etc etc) but everything should be really easily agreed based on current standards as they are common. The issues are IMHO:

(a) when one side of the other change from their current common standards
(b) customs (including the relationship between NI/ROI(EU)/mainland UK).

Here's a paragraph from your first link:
Should a dispute raise a question of interpretation of Union law, which may also be indicated by either Party, the arbitration panel should refer the question to the CJEU as the sole arbiter of Union law, for a binding ruling. The arbitration panel should decide the dispute in accordance with the ruling given by the CJEU.
Under this clause the EU raise a dispute with the UK based on a new or existing EU law, the EU court passes a ruling on that law, and the UK is then bound by the EU court decision to following EU law.

Here's the UK's position, where they reject that position.
Any agreement must respect the sovereignty of both parties and the autonomy of our legal orders. It cannot therefore include any regulatory alignment, any jurisdiction for the CJEU over the UK’s laws, ...

Everybody can sell goods to the EU. Barnier has been pretty clear that he sees "access to the Single Market" as short hand for the UK continuing to accept EU policy leadership.

Here's a paragraph from your first link:

Under this clause the EU raise a dispute with the UK based on a new or existing EU law, the EU court passes a ruling on that law, and the UK is then bound by the EU court decision to following EU law.

Here's the UK's position, where they reject that position.

Unless the UK wants to bankrupt a lot of companies who trade with the EU (about 45% of total exports) - everything from cars to beer to ciders etc.) by non-compliance, they will comply. At the end of the day, it's up to the private firms who choose to comply or not, not some gov't t-wat sitting somewhere.

Unless the UK wants to bankrupt a lot of companies who trade with the EU (about 45% of total exports) - everything from cars to beer to ciders etc.) by non-compliance, they will comply. At the end of the day, it's up to the private firms who choose to comply or not, not some gov't t-wat sitting somewhere.
You post has nothing to do with what was being discussed in the post you replied to.

And...moving forward. Current UK-US trade is worth £221bn and 20% of exports. The UK team believes it could increase by £15.8bn and with wages in the UK rising by £1.8bn with a US deal. There are about a million Brits working in US companies and around the same number of US citizens in the UK.

The UK is seeking to maximise its trade in global data and AI, along with professional services, food processing and car manufacturing. The removal of trade barriers, including tariffs, could mean huge gains for the 30,000 small- to medium-sized enterprises presently trading with the US.

The wide ranging post-Brexit trade deal with the US that is presently being sought by the the Federation of Small Businesses has the potential to accelerate the UK's recovery from the economic damage caused by the COVID pandemic. Almost half of all small firms in the UK see America as their most important trading partner.

It would seem that there has been substantial trade talks with the present administration, even though we will shortly have the possibility of a new President and his team.

Biden and the Democratic party under Obama put the UK ‘at the back of the line’. Biden and Pelosi have made it clear that should they come into power that policy stands.

Officials on both sides speak positively of progress made so far, but acknowledge the difficulties of trade negotiations due to restrictions imposed by coronavirus. Securing a trade deal with the election election added to the difficulties with the possibility of a changeover of top trade officials and negotiators.

But U.K. officials and business leaders don't expect that many American trading priorities will change significantly even with a change in the White House. Present talks are less about concluding an agreement in time but more about the realisation that the UK has to develop an independent trade policy due to Brexit. The UK has to reset its relationships with the three major economic and geopolitical hubs, the US Asia-Pacific, and Europe.

Liz Truss the trade secretary put the importance of government talks with the Asia-Pacific bloc on par with the U.S. as Britain looks out for a new geopolitical alignment. And as for the US, it is just as much in their interests to have a reasonable deal with the UK as it is for us after Brexit. Talks have been ongoing.

Published by: Compassion in World Farming, on 02 November 2020.

OPEN LETTER: PROTECT ANIMALS IN UK TRADE DEALS.

Q) Amid the turbulent trade talks on UK farming post-Brexit, who has no seat at the negotiating table?
A) The millions of farm animals whose welfare is at stake.

At every opportunity, compassionate people like you have spoken up for protecting animals in trade talks, putting animal welfare firmly on the Government’s radar. But, frustratingly, the threat of negotiators putting profits first is still very real – so we must ramp up the pressure.

Please, will you sign the open letter urging the UK Government to prevent food imports that fall below UK standards?

This is a pivotal year for UK farm animals, as decision makers set out the future of agricultural policy for decades to come.

The UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has previously claimed that high standards of animal welfare, environmental protection, and food safety will be upheld post-Brexit. However, there are growing concerns that the UK Government will slash those standards to secure a “good deal” on trade with countries like the US, despite significant opposition from MPs.

Without clear rules in place, the UK risks importing food produced using methods that are illegal in British agriculture – like washing chicken with chlorine to compensate for dirty, intensive farming conditions. This, in turn, risks washing away the animal welfare standards that the country holds so dear. Can’t the Government see that animal suffering is too high a price to pay for a free trade deal?

Sacrificing UK farming standards could also threaten human health. For example, since antibiotic use in US farming is more than five times higher than in the UK, there is a greater risk of accelerating the spread of drug-resistant bacteria.

Plus, a bad deal would mean products like hormone-treated beef, from low welfare feedlots overseas, could be sold more cheaply than food from free range animals. So, the Government would be threatening the livelihoods of higher welfare farmers – and allowing even more cruelty to creep onto supermarket shelves.

Thanks to people like you, the world is finally waking up to the true cost of intensive farming for people, animals and planet. But there is still a danger that new UK trade deals could take a step backwards, for British animals and animals worldwide.

Please urge the UK Government to stand on the right side of history and keep animal welfare off the negotiating table.

We will also be inviting celebrities and companies to join you in signing the letter. Our aim: a society united, helping to put compassion into trade deals and protect farm animals for generations to come.
Please – sign now to urge the UK Government to ensure that all post-Brexit food imports meet the UK’s animal welfare, environmental and food safety standards.

TradeDeal_Sheep+on+Hill+with+logos.jpg

Posted in all the what-now-for-the-eu thread; the cat; the dog; and, the trade with USA thread.

Last edited:
It would seem that there has been substantial trade talks with the present administration, even though we will shortly have the possibility of a new President and his team.

Biden and the Democratic party under Obama put the UK ‘at the back of the line’. Biden and Pelosi have made it clear that should they come into power that policy stands.

Officials on both sides speak positively of progress made so far, but acknowledge the difficulties of trade negotiations due to restrictions imposed by coronavirus. Securing a trade deal with the election election added to the difficulties with the possibility of a changeover of top trade officials and negotiators.

But U.K. officials and business leaders don't expect that many American trading priorities will change significantly even with a change in the White House. Present talks are less about concluding an agreement in time but more about the realisation that the UK has to develop an independent trade policy due to Brexit. The UK has to reset its relationships with the three major economic and geopolitical hubs, the US Asia-Pacific, and Europe.

Liz Truss the trade secretary put the importance of government talks with the Asia-Pacific bloc on par with the U.S. as Britain looks out for a new geopolitical alignment. And as for the US, it is just as much in their interests to have a reasonable deal with the UK as it is for us after Brexit. Talks have been ongoing.

Any deal must be approved by?

who have already stated?

I'm so sorry that idiots called moderators have blocked my valid opinions in other threads. Not a problem... When the dust settles there will be time to reflect on just how stupid brexit was.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm so sorry that idiots called moderators have blocked my valid opinions in other threads. Not a problem... When the dust settles there will be time to reflect on just how stupid brexit was.
By valid opinions you mean, Holocaust Denying rants of course, just adding a little perspective to your attempt at martyr status.

By valid opinions you mean, Holocaust Denying rants of course, just adding a little perspective to your attempt at martyr status.
You are obviously one of idiot moderators involved.

I see the truth still hurts.
The truth is that you are an idiot. Evidence that this forum recruits moderators from the NAAFI. Your constant stalking, flaming and off topic, personal attacks, demonstrate that you do not understand, nor apply, even handed, unbiased rules that are required. But that's ok... Reason and the critical examination of source materials are always on my side. Wait and see...

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The truth is that you are an idiot. Evidence that this forum recruits moderators from the NAAFI. Your constant stalking, flaming and off topic, personal attacks, demonstrate that you do not understand, nor apply, even handed, unbiased rules that are required. But that's ok... Reason and the critical examination of source materials are always on my side. Wait and see...
Yes of course as seen already, your sources are impeccably accurate. As long as you live in a parallel universe that is. I should complain to the admins then as you're clearly a victim of bias. Do please let us know how that goes

Yes of course as seen already, your sources are impeccably accurate. As long as you live in a parallel universe that is. I should complain to the admins then as you're clearly a victim of bias. Do please let us know how that goes

Don't venture into areas of quantum physics that are way beyond you. Anyway I am not going to waste time complaining to the Vatican about a catholic priest molesting the choir. It's clear that vicarious redemption will work in your favour. Pillock!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Don't venture into areas of quantum physics that are way beyond you. Anyway I am not going to waste time complaining to the Vatican about a catholic priest molesting the choir. It's clear that vicarious redemption will work in your favour. Pillock!
Then might I suggest, you stop whining like a spoiled child about it.

Then might I suggest, you stop whining like a spoiled child about it.
Keep your distance and stop baiting if my whining is getting to you.

Latest Threads