Possibly bone question about Regimental CoC

Administratively each Infantry regiment has a Regt HQ with a small staff (open to correction but often staffed by retired officers) to look after regimental matters.

zero operational responsibility

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Administratively each Infantry regiment has a Regt HQ with a small staff (open to correction but often staffed by retired officers) to look after regimental matters.

zero operational responsibility
Much like the rest of the diddly dee army then...

At this juncture in some inter-service / arm ribbing I'd normally say something along the lines of "Awaiting incoming", but in this case I look forward to receiving a strongly worded sheet of bum wipe from the UN.

War Hero
OK - so why is a battalion WO1 called regimental sgt. maj. when a regiment can have multiple battalions?
They are a type of WO1 and you know that what they are called can vary depending on where they are posted.

Some of them are called Conductors yet they cannot keep time for the band, and sometimes are not even in step.

They are a type of WO1 and you know that what they are called can vary depending on where they are posted.

Some of them are called Conductors yet they cannot keep time for the band, and sometimes are not even in step.
wait until you go to some RLC regts have have multiple WO1s....but only one RSM!

Yes, there would be a senior officer responsible. For example, the Parachute Regiment has a Colonel Commandant who is usually a/the senior Parachute Regiment General.

Under him you would have the Regimental Colonel who oversees routine Regimental (as opposed to Bn level) business.
None of these people are engaged in operational C2 issues

wait until you go to some RLC regts have have multiple WO1s....but only one RSM!
RMP, R SIGS, RLC, RE, REME all have multiple WO1s in their unit structures.
Very, ‘cbt centric’ for people to think that all units conform to the inf bn model.

I consider myself to be pretty well-informed on all things Army by the standards of a matelot, but one thing I’ve never quite worked out:

In a multi-battalion/regiment regiment, is there a single person in charge? Is it a separate post, or just the most senior bn/regt CO? Or are they just linked in name, but in practical terms as independent as any other single battalion regiment?
Short answer is, for regimental matters (dress, customs, associations, charity etc) it falls to the Regt or Corps Colonel. For capability matters (structures, manning, role, equipment, kit etc), it falls to the respective Capability Branch at Army HQ, each headed up by a 1* HoC and supported by SME staff.

For regimental matters (there are differences between capbages) but responsibility is usually vested in an OF5. Above him/her may be an honorary or Col Comdt to advise. Likewise, there will invariably be a 'Counsel of Cols' or Regt Elders to advise on matters such as key Comd Appts and what colour jumpers to wear, and to renew the charter of the Regt Charity etc.

For capability matters, defence issues are invariably both complex and complicated. The network of supporting staff reaches out well beyond the Army HQ. Experts from the Personnel Directorate, Army Personnel Centre, DE&S, MOD, Land Warfare Centre, Army Res, Doctrine & Concepts plus others all play significant part too.

Operational Command is a slightly different and more straightforward matter, but sits at the 3* level, either overseas operations through Chief Joint Operations, or single-service operations invariably commanded through Standing Joint Comd (UK), often delegated down through the regional structures. As always there are exceptions such as BFC.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Short answer is, for regimental matters (dress, customs, associations, charity etc) it falls to the Regt or Corps Colonel. For capability matters (structures, manning, role, equipment, kit etc), it falls to the respective Capability Branch at Army HQ, each headed up by a 1* HoC and supported by SME staff.

For regimental matters (there are differences between capbages) but responsibility is usually vested in an OF5. Above him/her may be an honorary or Col Comdt to advise. Likewise, there will invariably be a 'Counsel of Cols' or Regt Elders to advise on matters such as key Comd Appts and what colour jumpers to wear, and to renew the charter of the Regt Charity etc.

For capability matters, defence issues are invariably both complex and complicated. The network of supporting staff reaches out well beyond the Army HQ. Experts from the Personnel Directorate, Army Personnel Centre, DE&S, MOD, Land Warfare Centre, Army Res, Doctrine & Concepts plus others all play significant part too.

Operational Command is a slightly different and more straightforward matter, but sits at the 3* level, either overseas operations through Chief Joint Operations, or single-service operations invariably commanded through Standing Joint Comd (UK), often delegated down through the regional structures. As always there are exceptions such as BFC.
Now you are just bring silly - you know that the old Colonel in RHQ is really running things and the MoD are just there to do his bidding!

None of these people are engaged in operational C2 issues
In the late eighties/early nineties the Regimental Colonel was in command of the Parachute Regiment Group. An ad hoc HQ for the three TA Parachute Regiment battalions - 4 Para, 10 Para and 15 Jock Para who all had a Nato reinforcement role with 4 Armoured Division in Germany. I think it was on the black market though.

Now you are just bring silly - you know that the old Colonel in RHQ is really running things and the MoD are just there to do his bidding!
valid....I wish those jobs still existed. A Labrador, a pint of stout, an afternoon nap and an incontinence mat! My dreams have been stolen!

In the late eighties/early nineties the Regimental Colonel was in command of the Parachute Regiment Group. An ad hoc HQ for the three TA Parachute Regiment battalions - 4 Para, 10 Para and 15 Jock Para who all had a Nato reinforcement role with 4 Armoured Division in Germany. I think it was on the black market though.
possibly on a powerpoint vufoil but I doubt that they had the J2, Logs (med) and CIS to deliver actual C2? Maybe as a FGen HQ though?

So remind me why the Army did so poorly in the IR?

possibly on a powerpoint vufoil but I doubt that they had the J2, Logs (med) and CIS to deliver actual C2? Maybe as a FGen HQ though?
I think it was all provided by 4 Armoured Div. The three battalions had all been asigned to a reinforcement role protecting bridges from Soviet Air Assault since the late seventies when 44 Para Brigade was disbanded. It was probably created as a means of co-ordinating all three battalions efforts and with one link back to HQ 4 Div.

The ulterior aim though was probably to create a TA Airborne Brigade in the same way that after 16 Para Brigade was disbanded in 1977, it was reborn in 1983 as 5 Airborne Brigade. However the end of the cold war put paid to these plans.

Ours seems to spend most of its time working on soldier recruiting, soldier manning and movements (the “Red book”), welfare for serving and ex, the regimental charities, engagement with the Regtl Association, historic commemorations etc.

Maybe they are just getting it all wrong.

I'm not having a dig here, but the functions in bold above are carried out in the RAF & RN by full time SO2 - 1* agencies, there is no "retired OF-5 sitting in MacDuff Barracks deciding that a prospective OCdt is our kind of chap".

At an RAF airbase I recently served at:

Recruiting - carried out by the Recruiting Teams under HQ 22 Trg Gp.

Manning - done by full time Career Management staff at HQ Air - who will be from the source branch of the bloke / girl that they are advising. To be fair in the RAF we are sh1t at many things, but our CM people are pretty good - if they are not they are often brutally sacked.

Movements - between HQ Air A1 and the previously mentioned CM branches. No requirement for Wg Cdr (Retd) Curmudgeonly-Smythe in the RAFA Club in Bermondsey..............

Welfare - pan-Service organisations like RAFA, RBL, and on each base there will be a Padre and Welfare Advisor. Again, no need for any input from the previously mentioned Wg Cdr (Retd) Curmudgeonly-Smythe in the RAFA Club in Bermondsey..............

Charities & Regt Commemorations - nothing here that couldn't be managed by effective allocation of secondary duties. They're not full time jobs and simply do not justify the expenditure incurred in keeping Maj (Retd) Hughie Maclean-MacShoogle in a lifestyle [and a salary] to which he has become accustomed in a nearby barracks...........

Again, no need for any input from the previously mentioned Wg Cdr (Retd) Curmudgeonly-Smythe in the RAFA Club in Bermondsey....
They're not full time jobs and simply do not justify the expenditure incurred in keeping Maj (Retd) Hughie Maclean-MacShoogle in a lifestyle [and a salary] to which he has become accustomed in a nearby barracks...........
Where on earth do the RAF find their old ex officers jobs then?

Where on earth do the RAF find their old ex officers jobs then?

Search and Rescue

Empire Test Pilots’ School (ETPS)

Qualified Flying Instructor - 115 Squadron - RAF Wittering - FTRS ADC VeRR

Don't you worry, we'll be alright.

The_Duke

LE
I'm not having a dig here, but the functions in bold above are carried out in the RAF & RN by full time SO2 - 1* agencies, there is no "retired OF-5 sitting in MacDuff Barracks deciding that a prospective OCdt is our kind of chap".

At an RAF airbase I recently served at:

Recruiting - carried out by the Recruiting Teams under HQ 22 Trg Gp.

Manning - done by full time Career Management staff at HQ Air - who will be from the source branch of the bloke / girl that they are advising. To be fair in the RAF we are sh1t at many things, but our CM people are pretty good - if they are not they are often brutally sacked.

Movements - between HQ Air A1 and the previously mentioned CM branches. No requirement for Wg Cdr (Retd) Curmudgeonly-Smythe in the RAFA Club in Bermondsey..............

Welfare - pan-Service organisations like RAFA, RBL, and on each base there will be a Padre and Welfare Advisor. Again, no need for any input from the previously mentioned Wg Cdr (Retd) Curmudgeonly-Smythe in the RAFA Club in Bermondsey..............

Charities & Regt Commemorations - nothing here that couldn't be managed by effective allocation of secondary duties. They're not full time jobs and simply do not justify the expenditure incurred in keeping Maj (Retd) Hughie Maclean-MacShoogle in a lifestyle [and a salary] to which he has become accustomed in a nearby barracks...........
Sounds like the RAF have lots of large and expensive structures in place just to achieve the same as Hughie and a couple of Regtl officers and SNCOs plus a few Civvie staff!

Latest Threads