Possibly bone question about Regimental CoC

Mattb

LE
I consider myself to be pretty well-informed on all things Army by the standards of a matelot, but one thing I’ve never quite worked out:

In a multi-battalion/regiment regiment, is there a single person in charge? Is it a separate post, or just the most senior bn/regt CO? Or are they just linked in name, but in practical terms as independent as any other single battalion regiment?

I consider myself to be pretty well-informed on all things Army by the standards of a matelot, but one thing I’ve never quite worked out:

In a multi-battalion/regiment regiment, is there a single person in charge? Is it a separate post, or just the most senior bn/regt CO? Or are they just linked in name, but in practical terms as independent as any other single battalion regiment?

A common capbadge is an administrative grouping, not an operational one. The exception to that rule possibly being if the 3 battalions of the Parachute Regiment were ever to do a brigade-sized operation but that's pretty unlikely to ever happen.

Mattb

LE
A common capbadge is an administrative grouping, not an operational one. The exception to that rule possibly being if the 3 battalions of the Parachute Regiment were ever to do a brigade-sized operation but that's pretty unlikely to ever happen.
I’m aware that they’re not operational formations, but that doesn’t really answer the question - if they’re an administrative formation that would seem to suggest that there is someone in charge? (As opposed to a purely traditional/ceremonial formation).

The_Duke

LE
Yes, there would be a senior officer responsible. For example, the Parachute Regiment has a Colonel Commandant who is usually a/the senior Parachute Regiment General.

Under him you would have the Regimental Colonel who oversees routine Regimental (as opposed to Bn level) business.

Mattb

LE
Under him you would have the Regimental Colonel who oversees routine Regimental (as opposed to Bn level) business.
So would that be an OF-5 whose primary role is overseeing the three bns?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer

Yes. Her Majesty the Queen is in charge. She sometimes delegates that authority.

There is no overall commander - take the illustrious unit of the CDS - The Rifle each battalion will l have a Lt Col in charge

Battalions are posted formations Brigades or Divisions, so if say 1 Rifles where posted to Northern Ireland they come under command of the GOC NI, like wise say Cyprus / Afghanistan etc

The Rifles will have a Regimental Headquarters which will be responsible for Rifles type problems / issues - maybe welfare - regimental history traditions and making sure that they don't get disbanded having an input to selecting officers for the Rifles and making sure that the Rifles affiliations are maintained i.e. Counties / Cadets publicity

There will be a Regimental Colonel overseeing the above but will have no part in the operational command of the individual Rifles Battalions

I must say while in serving I had no idea a RHQ existed and what they did and as a lowly Warrant Officer not a clue what they did for their money - much like a lot of the Staff Officer laden structures of the Army

Archie

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There is no overall commander - take the illustrious unit of the CDS - The Rifle each battalion will l have a Lt Col in charge

Battalions are posted formations Brigades or Divisions, so if say 1 Rifles where posted to Northern Ireland they come under command of the GOC NI, like wise say Cyprus / Afghanistan etc

The Rifles will have a Regimental Headquarters which will be responsible for Rifles type problems / issues - maybe welfare - regimental history traditions and making sure that they don't get disbanded having an input to selecting officers for the Rifles and making sure that the Rifles affiliations are maintained i.e. Counties / Cadets publicity

There will be a Regimental Colonel overseeing the above but will have no part in the operational command of the individual Rifles Battalions

I must say while in serving I had no idea a RHQ existed and what they did and as a lowly Warrant Officer not a clue what they did for their money - much like a lot of the Staff Officer laden structures of the Army

Archie
Regimental HQs were set up to look after officer interests. 80% of their work was on officer recruiting and looking after the interests of officers at ERE.

The_Duke

LE
Regimental HQs were set up to look after officer interests. 80% of their work was on officer recruiting and looking after the interests of officers at ERE.
Ours seems to spend most of its time working on soldier recruiting, soldier manning and movements (the “Red book”), welfare for serving and ex, the regimental charities, engagement with the Regtl Association, historic commemorations etc.

Maybe they are just getting it all wrong.

XPara Mugg

War Hero

If the three regular Parachute Regiment Battalions (or 2, 3 and 4 Para for that matter) were brought together for a drop as described, the formation would logically be 16X with its existing HQ and command functions.

Since you used The Parachute Regiment as a example. I know of nothing similar anywhere else in the army.

Back in time there was this plan for the three TA battalions.- quote from Paradata:

"In January 1989 a trial was conducted to test the feasibility of the three (TA) battalions operating as a ‘Task Force’ commanded by a light brigade headquarters centred on RHQ PARA, commanded by the Regimental Colonel. The new force had a FIBUA (Fighting in Built-Up Areas) role in BAOR and was called The Parachute Regiment Group (PRG)."

It led to some informative conferences and briefings and a few interesting exercises until the idea was dropped.

It generated some oddities such as a small group from Gloucester Volunteer Artillery completing Pre-Para and BPC to provide FOO parties. South Notts Hussars were in the mix somewhere but that seemed to (I might be wrong) only generate one body. A bandsman from the army's only brass band who signed for an 'S type', as a Parachute Regiment bandsman, and found himself deployed on Granby. Not what he expected. Definitely true. I met him, some months later avec red beret and gong. He still looked as startled as he probably did when he found out he was going.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ours seems to spend most of its time working on soldier recruiting, soldier manning and movements (the “Red book”), welfare for serving and ex, the regimental charities, engagement with the Regtl Association, historic commemorations etc.

Maybe they are just getting it all wrong.
Indeed, they should be concentrating on biscuits, sandwiches and shirt sleeves.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Mattb

LE
Heathen. You know the way to the ante room, and the drawer in which the Webley is kept of course?
Is it a battalion Webley though, or does the whole regiment have to share a single one?

I’m aware that they’re not operational formations, but that doesn’t really answer the question - if they’re an administrative formation that would seem to suggest that there is someone in charge? (As opposed to a purely traditional/ceremonial formation).

mate, where you have multiple Bns/Regts working together eg 2 Inf battalions and a Tank Regt they will be in a brigade with the bn and Regt CO reporting to a Brigadier who controls the brigades mission. where you only have a few companys/sqns working together that is called a Battle group under control of the lead elements Colonel so if it was an Infantry Battle group with 2 or 3 Inf Companys and only one tank sqn supporting the Infantry Col is the boss

Mattb

LE
mate, where you have multiple Bns/Regts working together eg 2 Inf battalions and a Tank Regt they will be in a brigade with the bn and Regt CO reporting to a Brigadier who controls the brigades mission. where you only have a few companys/sqns working together that is called a Battle group under control of the lead elements Colonel so if it was an Infantry Battle group with 2 or 3 Inf Companys and only one tank sqn supporting the Infantry Col is the boss
Aye, I understand how it works in terms of the actual operational bdes - it was the “name-linked” units such as the various bns of The Rifles and their relationship to each other that I was wondering about.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Is it a battalion Webley though, or does the whole regiment have to share a single one?
Mess property obvs, bequeathed by Lt Gen Binky Carruthers to be worn on Mess functions by the PMC (it is believed to prevent a repeat of that unfortunate incident amongst the subalterns back in '07). Ammunition to be purchased from Mess funds.

Latest Threads