Possible Walt at Royal Garden Party???

Afetr attending one of the recent Queens Garden Parties, I was somewhat confused by a certain chap who was standing next to me. I would have got a picture but unfortunately you werent allowed to have your turned on. Therefore I will give a quick description and let you make your own minds up.

Gent, aged mid to late 40's. RAF service dress Pilot Officer rank. VRT on lappeles....So far fair enough. However as he turned I saw that he was also wearing Sabre Wings and Canadian jump wings on his chest( As after a quick google trawl they were the only ones I could find most like it, ble and white enamel badge). So he may have been ex Regular/ 21,23 (V) and done selction, however he had no ribbons whatsoever. One would expect someone with a bit of history like this would A. At least have been on Ops. B. Would at least have the Golden and certainly the diamond jubilee medal.

I wasnt the only one confused by this, as the lads with me were also equally confused. I am keen to hear opinions on this.

Walt or not? You be the Judge!

There was a suggestion to ask him if he knew what colour the boat house was at Hereford...............

I knew a few RAF Regt guys in 95 one, in D-Sqn... so possible if Sabre Wings were on his shoulder, arm, however you call it (would be my strapping shoulder muscle :) ) and not his chest (I assume only the Canadian wings were on his chest). May have been Rifles then done something. Then again, I need a coffee.

Sabre wings were on the Shoulder. However if he has maybe just joined the ATC (and ex SF) then had time to have his wings tailored onto his shoulder you would think that he would have got his ribbons put on so he wouldnt look like a Walt? Im keen to give the benefit of the doubt, but im struggling!

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
In the dim and distant I recall our RAF CCF schoolteachers wearing 'VRT' lapel pins. Some of those who volunteer to run these things have previous from real service.

There was only one???, you obviously wasn't looking hard enough.

I know an ATC officer who started as a ATC Warrant Officer, Ex 2 Para, Never wore wings ever on his ATC uniform.

Reason given, its cadets, I'm an adult, the badge collecting is for the kids.

How's the queen doing anyways? Did you get to meet her?
She's popping round here for a brew later and to do something or other to some church step, I'll ask her for you.

Well it's not the RAF regt bloke in D he is now a civi and had a fair old rack on his chest. This bloke whoever he is is def not ex regular with not a single medal! If anything it could be the TA route, he could quite easily have missed out on the Golden Jubilee and I have no idea what qualifying period would be for cadet instructor for the Diamond? Ballsy bastard if he is a walt to turn up in front of her Madj.

Unfortunately it was busier than a pikeys wedding, 8000 people there. So he might have thought he had safety in numbers, but you would think that he would have anticipated alot of regular serving blokes there, if so it was ballsy. He did move off rather quickly when he felt the eyes of the lads and me looking him up and down...

Well it's not the RAF regt bloke in D he is now a civi and had a fair old rack on his chest.
Thank fuck for that as I thought he was dead. One less to drink to around the 11th. In fact, can now drink to him for being un-dead :)

But was referring to RAF guys have passed are about this age group. If he is a Walt, (may have been Artist Rifles), then he has gonards the size big Ben to do it though in front of Madj as you rightfully pointed out.

RAFVR(T) = Royal Air Force Voluntary Reserve (Training) = simple search on Google. Many CCF instructors are ex servicemen but some have never served in a Regular capacity. May explain the reason for lack of medals, possibly some service with either 21 or 23 SAS (V). It is very doubtful that he would have been invited to a Royal Garden Party without first having been checked out by the local SB.

Afetr attending one of the recent Queens Garden Parties, I was somewhat confused by a certain chap who was standing next to me. I would have got a picture but unfortunately you werent allowed to have your turned on. Therefore I will give a quick description and let you make your own minds up.

Gent, aged mid to late 40's. RAF service dress Pilot Officer rank. VRT on lappeles....So far fair enough. However as he turned I saw that he was also wearing Sabre Wings and Canadian jump wings on his chest( As after a quick google trawl they were the only ones I could find most like it, ble and white enamel badge). So he may have been ex Regular/ 21,23 (V) and done selction, however he had no ribbons whatsoever. One would expect someone with a bit of history like this would A. At least have been on Ops. B. Would at least have the Golden and certainly the diamond jubilee medal.

I wasnt the only one confused by this, as the lads with me were also equally confused. I am keen to hear opinions on this.

Walt or not? You be the Judge!

Maybe not a Walt sounds like a member of the RCAF - Royal Canadian Airforce - its not unusual for members of Commonwealth military to turn up at such official events after all HM is also Queen of Canada.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S ACF 59
R The NAAFI Bar 93
C Waltenkommando 138