• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Possible Uniform Revisions Under Army 2020

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
It is a matter of public record that the MOD is facing a significant funding shortfall through a combination of restructuring under Army 2020 and the rising cost of imported supplies due to the weakening of Sterling. The increasing rate of technology introduction to the management of operations even down to section level is also putting upward pressure on coasts.

An area under significant scrutiny is clothing issue, particularly in relation to specific role related items. A White Paper is currently being drafted within DE&S looking at ways to reduce the cost of uniform, particularly trade and role related specifics.

Part of the background behind this is the proliferation of DZ, Divisional and Brigade flashes as well as the provision of trade & qualification badges that are not relevant to the current posting being undertaken by service men and women.

It is under discussion that the White Paper may propose to the Army Dress Committee that from 2020 service sources will only supply trade and qualification badges and accoutrements to those posted in a relevant role. It is not clear yet whether the proposal will be to permit the wearing of historically awarded badges purchased at the wearers own cost when out of role or whether trade and qualification badges will be subject to a blanket ban for those not in role. It is also under possible that Corps will lose their DZ Flashes and such flashes will be the preserve of deployable formations and units only.

So do away with the DZ flashes then? Yes, that should save the MoD what? The annual salary of a 2 star General?

It is a matter of public record that the MOD is facing a significant funding shortfall through a combination of restructuring under Army 2020 and the rising cost of imported supplies due to the weakening of Sterling. The increasing rate of technology introduction to the management of operations even down to section level is also putting upward pressure on coasts.

An area under significant scrutiny is clothing issue, particularly in relation to specific role related items. A White Paper is currently being drafted within DE&S looking at ways to reduce the cost of uniform, particularly trade and role related specifics.

Part of the background behind this is the proliferation of DZ, Divisional and Brigade flashes as well as the provision of trade & qualification badges that are not relevant to the current posting being undertaken by service men and women.

It is under discussion that the White Paper may propose to the Army Dress Committee that from 2020 service sources will only supply trade and qualification badges and accoutrements to those posted in a relevant role. It is not clear yet whether the proposal will be to permit the wearing of historically awarded badges purchased at the wearers own cost when out of role or whether trade and qualification badges will be subject to a blanket ban for those not in role. It is also under possible that Corps will lose their DZ Flashes and such flashes will be the preserve of deployable formations and units only.
Nice to know that at a time of massive austerity, time is being spent worrying about the cost of a few thousand tiny pieces of textile while half the defence estate is falling down.

All of which wont matter.....soldiers will be "advised" to buy them out of their own pockets which funnily enough seems to be enforced more when RSM's are working out stand down guard rosters!!

Nice to know that at a time of massive austerity, time is being spent worrying about the cost of a few thousand tiny pieces of textile while half the defence estate is falling down.
Oh come on, it's not like they had to roll out one shirt, then another and then..... oh I got lost at that point as to what I was suppose to wear, and i'm a STAB without too much kit.

I ended up with more kit thrown at me at one point than on initial kitting (mind you, two shirts OG and pair lightweights and a JHW was simple for even me to remember).

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Well since we've just had this bad boy approved to be worn in perpetuity (inc AE for Artificers and Engineering Officers), and given we don't tend to be attached to other units, it's safe to say the REME Avn world won't be affected.
BATS.jpg

...On the other hand - it's a bit crap if Paras, RMs etc won't be allowed to wear their wings & Dettol badges if they're away from their main units.

Yet another blow to the ever increasing lick-out that is the British Army (and RM).

I was outraged when they stopped putting the map pocket on lightweights.
I left soon after that, didn't like the way things were going.

As others have rightly noted, the savings will be negligible but the PRI shop will make a tidy profit.

In other major DE&S news, a separate A2020 Project Team at DE&S are working hard on reinventing a new rotating circular wheeled device to be used in the transport and movements space.

Project Team Leader, Colonel B Leeding-Obvious said: "Just as we recently discovered covering combat uniforms in multicoloured badges was pointless and expensive, we have also discovered that a circular shape placed on a vehicle can assist mobility, and the Wheel Re-Invention Team are pleased to report great success in this area. We will shortly be letting a major contract to BAe to resupply wheels at only a small cost to the taxpayer"

The Project Team envisage the use of these rotating devices to be fitted firstly to the Army's fleet of buses, as they are subject to a higher rate of wear and tear as soldiers are constantly getting on and off them.

Later in this series of groundbreaking posts about DE&S, we will be conducting further interviews with the Teams responsible for discovering if ursidae creatures defecate in wooded areas and we'll be meeting the man responsible for designing amusing head-wear for the leaders of the Catholic Church.

A spokesman for the British Army said in 1989 "I could have told you all those multicoloured badges were bollocks"

In other major DE&S news, a separate A2020 Project Team at DE&S are working hard on reinventing a new rotating circular wheeled device to be used in the transport and movements space.

Project Team Leader, Colonel B Leeding-Obvious said: "Just as we recently discovered covering combat uniforms in multicoloured badges was pointless and expensive, we have also discovered that a circular shape placed on a vehicle can assist mobility, and the Wheel Re-Invention Team are pleased to report great success in this area. We will shortly be letting a major contract to BAe to resupply wheels at only a small cost to the taxpayer"

The Project Team envisage the use of these rotating devices to be fitted firstly to the Army's fleet of buses, as they are subject to a higher rate of wear and tear as soldiers are constantly getting on and off them.

Later in this series of groundbreaking posts about DE&S, we will be conducting further interviews with the Teams responsible for discovering if ursidae creatures defecate in wooded areas and we'll be meeting the man responsible for designing amusing head-wear for the leaders of the Catholic Church.
Unfortunately it appears that you haven't seen the latest DIN.

Although there is a business case for the object, rubber cased, circular in various sizes to be fitted to all green fleet vehicles as an aid to mobility, the existing stocks of object, square, wooden obtained under a UOR are to be consumed through normal useage before new orders can be placed and unit holdings are updated.

Units are advised that misuse of objects, square, wooden as cargo pallets or firewood instead of as vehicle components is strictly forbidden.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Sorry, is it just me or is that announcement just petty? I am sure there must be a lot of real issues for the Army Dress Committee to be considering.

Get rid of No2 Dress or whatever it is called now as units don't wear it. I see medals, swords, red sashes all being worn on what would normally be classed as combat clothing rather than dress uniform.

Well since we've just had this bad boy approved to be worn in perpetuity (inc AE for Artificers and Engineering Officers), and given we don't tend to be attached to other units, it's safe to say the REME Avn world won't be affected.
View attachment 297646
...On the other hand - it's a bit crap if Paras, RMs etc won't be allowed to wear their wings & Dettol badges if they're away from their main units.

Yet another blow to the ever increasing lick-out that is the British Army (and RM).
Does that actually have 'REMF' embroidered above the AT?

View attachment 297646

Does that say 'REMF' in the middle, just above where it says 'AT'? My eyes aren't what they were!

ETA: looks like @Tappet has eyes as good as mine!

Last edited:
Sorry, is it just me or is that announcement just petty? I am sure there must be a lot of real issues for the Army Dress Committee to be considering.

Get rid of No2 Dress or whatever it is called now as units don't wear it. I see medals, swords, red sashes all being worn on what would normally be classed as combat clothing rather than dress uniform.
Shirts in/out, boots black/brown? These things take time and Rome wasn't built in a day!

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Well spotted.

Yes there was a massive batch of them produced missing a single black stitch bottom right (as seen in pic), meaning we've now got a large number of BATS wandering around with "REMF" badges on the right arms.

Pretty funny I thought.

I was outraged when they stopped putting the map pocket on lightweights.
I left soon after that, didn't like the way things were going.

As others have rightly noted, the savings will be negligible but the PRI shop will make a tidy profit.
I jumped ship when they started to replace the 1968 pattern combats with the cheap unlined thin scruffy looking combats in the 80's.

One must have standards and I was most certainly not going to go to war looking scruffy.

All of which wont matter.....soldiers will be "advised" to buy them out of their own pockets which funnily enough seems to be enforced more when RSM's are working out stand down guard rosters!!

Its okay to vastly overpay for items that are either issued or should be issued, its only ******* the lads over, isn't that right @Danny_Dravot ?

Maybe the Army Dress Committee should be reduced to one person and everyone else who spends time on it should have their time re-allocated to something that actually matters.

From the minutes of the 353th meeting of the committee:

"The Army SM raised the issue of whether sleeves should be worn up or down in Combat Dress in the light of the introduction of the light-weight MTP style shirt. In discussion, the view was that the Army should return to Regional Bde decision-making based on the seasons. The Secretary was directed to draft a letter from the Chairman to CFA and Comd PSC setting out proposals.

Afternote: The Chairman subsequently directed that this was not a matter for the ADC and directed the Army SM to discuss with the Command SMs and to make a recommendation to D Pers".

That incredible advancement in the combat effectiveness of the British Army required one 1x Maj-Gen, 1x Brigadier, 1x Col, 2 x Lt Col, 2x Lt Col (retd), 2 x Mr and 1x Mrs.

Great bit of Mission Command there!

Save costs by making officers privately purchase all of their uniforms, equipment and weapons.

The gunsmiths of London will do a roaring trade in pith helmets and Webleys!