Possible Terror Attack on Canadian soldiers in St. Jean sur Richelieu

Breaking news from the north:

Two Canadian soldiers were run down by a driver who fled. A chase involving both Surete and GRC/RCMP. After the drive crashed he was shot by police.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/2...ck-as-soldiers-run-down-in-quebec-parking-lot

and

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...bled_by_report_of_possible_terror_attack.html

St Jen sur RIchelieu is in the Monteregie region of Quebec, between Montreal and the Vermont border. It is home to ASU Saint Jean and a part of the Royal Military College.

Last edited:
Another Presberterian outrage no doubt.

They need to learn from the Religion of Peace TM

Interesting that the perpetrator was shot despite reportedly having his hands in the air. I wonder if the cops were looking at him as a potential suicide bomb?

Interesting that the perpetrator was shot despite reportedly having his hands in the air. I wonder if the cops were looking at him as a potential suicide bomb?
Allah bothering frother whose just tried to kill two soldiers...would you try a guarenteed non-lethal stop? Looks like a very sensible threat based hard stop from canuck plod.

I suppose you must be looking at a report from some other media? The link posted by the OP has a very different version from a bystander. First reports are always wrong, I know.

ACAB

LE
The first report quotes him crawling out of the car carrying a knife and attacking a female police Officer who, quite sensibly, slotted him.

I suppose you must be looking at a report from some other media? The link posted by the OP has a very different version from a bystander. First reports are always wrong, I know.

How right you are! I had just read the second link (to the Toronto Star), where he was described as walking towards the police with his hands raised. The first link reports his actions as slightly more threatening. Well done cops anyway.

CBC states that the perpetrator, the late Martin Roleau, was know to the police and was radicalized.
www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/martin-rouleau-quebec-driver-fatally-shot-by-police-radicalized-1.2806104?cmp=rss

At the top of the article there is a picture, which if clicked on provides a series of photos of the scene. One of them shows a knife which is certainly larger than your average pocket penknife.

I earlier mentioned that Sureté Québec and the RCMP were involved in the chase. From the pictures it is clear that the municipal police from St Jean sur Richelieu were there too. It is funny, I have driven through there many times and never seen the municipal police and assumed that like much of Quebec, it was policed by SQ.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
@S11Blade WTF is a "Frother"? if you mean jihadist say so. Otherwise you come across as an ill-educated red-neck from way south of Mason-Dixon whom we shouldn't pay any attention to,

Not that I would anyway.

@S11Blade WTF is a "Frother"? if you mean jihadist say so. Otherwise you come across as an ill-educated red-neck from way south of Mason-Dixon whom we shouldn't pay any attention to,

Not that I would anyway.
You have clearly never served alongside any muslim soldier.

Allah bothering frother whose just tried to kill two soldiers...would you try a guarenteed non-lethal stop? Looks like a very sensible threat based hard stop from canuck plod.

So if he came out hands up and willing to surrender your solution is?

I forgot, you're the bloke who doesn't believe in the judicial processes. I also didn't realize you're now an expert on canadian police tactics.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

T

Tinman74

So if he came out hands up and willing to surrender your solution is?

I forgot, you're the bloke who doesn't believe in the judicial processes. I also didn't realize you're now an expert on canadian police tactics.

He is an expert in bellendery!

CBC states that the perpetrator, the late Martin Roleau, was know to the police and was radicalized.
www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/martin-rouleau-quebec-driver-fatally-shot-by-police-radicalized-1.2806104?cmp=rss

At the top of the article there is a picture, which if clicked on provides a series of photos of the scene. One of them shows a knife which is certainly larger than your average pocket penknife.

I earlier mentioned that Sureté Québec and the RCMP were involved in the chase. From the pictures it is clear that the municipal police from St Jean sur Richelieu were there too. It is funny, I have driven through there many times and never seen the municipal police and assumed that like much of Quebec, it was policed by SQ.
The CBC is a reasonably reliable news source. They don't by the way "freeze" their web site stories, but will update or correct them if there is new information over the course of the day, so it can pay to go back and check the same story again a few hours later. The CBC are being very cautious about the details of this until they have confirmation, which is typical of their editorial style. The picture at the top of the story should be a video, which is what I happen get when I view it on my PC.

The Globe and Mail would usually be a very reliable news source, but are often slow on updating their reports. Here's their version: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...njured-in-quebec-hit-and-run/article21177035/
They're reporting his last name as being Couture-Rouleau rather than just Rouleau.

The Toronto star isn't too bad. I would take anything from the Toronto Sun though with a very large grain of salt. They're the closest thing that Canada has to a British style tabloid press and sensationalism and speculation are their stock in trade. The Post is a QMI newspaper, and their quality varies from mediocre to poor, although their local reporting can be good if their local paper happens to have a good reporter on staff.

The federal PM (Harper) is playing up this story for all he's worth. The government has some security services powers bills coming up on the house soon, and this story is like manna from heaven for them. Take any announcements from the government with that in mind. The SQ (Surete du Quebec) however are saying that they are not making any assumptions before conducting a thorough investigation.

If the guy had the knife and the police believed he posed a threat it would not be unusual for the police in Canada to shoot him on the spot. The video mentioned above showed what looked like a very large cooking knife (vegetable chopper) stuck in the earth. I believe that all the police here are normally armed, although that wasn't always the case (the RNC in Newfoundland armed some time in the 90s).

I would take "terrorist" or "radical Muslim" with a grain of salt at this time. "Dangerous mentally ill person" could quite easily apply as well. There are dangerous people in society who hear voices in their heads telling them to do something. Twenty years ago it more likely would have been space aliens, while today it's "Allah". Unstable people view the violent imagery on YouTube, Facebook, and other places and identify with it as something which provides internal justification for things that they want to do anyway. There was a pair of nutters in BC who were of a similar bent not long ago, but I can't recall the details (I think they tried to set fire to the provincial legislature, or something like that).

The police say that he was someone they had their eye on already. If he tried to associate with normal "real" Muslims, then going by past performance they would have grassed him up to the security services at light speed.

Someone who goes to church because he was brought up that way and doesn't feel like changing his life now is entirely normal. Someone who goes to church to make his wife happy is also normal. Someone who suddenly converts from being an atheist or a not very good Catholic to being a fanatical pseudo-Muslim is decidedly a bit "odd" to begin with. I think he was bound to do something violent at some point in his life. He's making the national news because of the way he decided to go about it.

alib

LE
martin-rouleau-ahmad-the-converted.jpg

Radicalisé, moi?

Well, condolences to the Canadian Forces. What Regiment was the soldier from?
May not be any connection, but isn't the location not far from Royal Military College Saint-Jean? (Not adding to speculation because any Canadian relatives etc will already be aware of that point.)

Latest Threads