Possible replacement for RAF advanced jet trainer (and for the Red Arrows)

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
MFTS is a rolling goat. However, I see little likelihood of RAF students and most especially QFIs going to the US anytime soon.

I pride myself on my knowledge of aviation history and our access to new US types is predominantly on operational and test types. I can see no benefit or prospect of UK involvement in T-X.

Regards,
MM
Is MFTS delivered by Babcock?

Secondly, aren’t the Reds on T1? Will they go onto T2s anytime soon?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
No, a company called Ascent.

Yes.

No. There's no money.

Regards,
MM
Thanks - further digging reveals Ascent is an LM & Babcock consortium. I’m interested because I work quite closely with Babcock and they trumpet flying training as a success story.....

Last edited:

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
Babcock have more or less done what they were tasked to do. Certainly they have performed a lot better than CarillionAmey. The Wittering operation appears (from what I have seen) reasonably well organised.

Unless RAFAT wear out their T1s (or bend rather a lot of them) then they won't be replaced for the foreseeable future. RAFAT T1s have smoke generators plus the engine FADEC system is tweaked for faster response to throttle inputs (at the cost of fuel consumption). T1s retain the original basic avionics.

Main difference for the T2 is a glass cockpit plus advanced avionics & data links. Basically, the T2 is designed to imitate a Typhoon / F-35 environment whereas the T1 does without the complex avionics as they are not needed to fly in formation.

T1 = Triumph Spitfire
T2 = Latest generation MX5

T1 cockpit
1357574M.jpg

T2 cockpit
1213955_58267_large.jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
this also highlights the need for aerobatic teams, various, foreign, to replace their Alpha jets / Casas/Canadairs/F-5s,etc,etc.......I'd hate to think that the Red Arrows might end up trundling around in Tucanos....

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think the likelihood is that when the time comes to replace their airframes the Red Arrows will be disbanded.

I think there was a question banded about asking if the Hawk T2 be natural replacement for Reds T1. And the same answer came back with , never, not possible due to either cost for purchasing 10, or is the airframe even up to it (yes I know it performs the same as its T1 predecessor for FJ students) but read somehwere it may not be as tough. Am happy to be corrected ....

Mind you with last year's fatal Snowbirds accident, a lot of feelings came to light saying the Tutor needed to be replaced for ages. SLightly digressing, decade and half ago, there wer erumblings about the need to replace the CH-124 Sea King.

With the Patrouille de Suisse, same issues even though the Swiss still fly couple of dozen F-5E/F still as well. Though the Us DoD are interested purchasing them soon enough.

In my book on the Patrouille de Suisse, published decade ago, in the introduction there is a brief sentence about the future of the team with the retiring of the F-5E from the inventory and mention of the Pilatus PC-21 entering service so no need for leaad in trainer to bridge gap from PC-7 to F/A-18C/D.

Cheers

Latest Threads