Possible replacement for RAF advanced jet trainer (and for the Red Arrows)

Possible replacement for RAF advanced jet trainer (and for the Red Arrows)

Well in lieu of the Leonardo/Boeing MH-139 winning the contract to replace the legacy USAF UH-1N , there is another competition to replace the 115 fleet strong of US Navy Bell TH-57C Sea Rangers. There was a plan initially to upgrade them to D models but that got shelved. The Navy is looking for COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) solution, the March request for information (RFI) posted on Federal Business Opportunities, the USN anticipates a fleet size of 105 aircraft flying 77,000 annual hours.

Here are some of the contenders

Leonardo offering the TH-119 based on their AW119Ke

TH-119 | Advanced Helicopter Trainer

Airbus Helicopters offering the TH135 with Helionix as what Ascent Flying Training is using at Shawbury. There is also a USN instrcutor exchange with German Navy/Marineflieger MFG-5 flying the EC135 which is supplied by DL Helikopter for multi engine training / supplement flying training of Marineflieger crews.

Home

and of course Bell offering the Bell 407 GXi (previously they offered the Bell 407GX). The Bell 407GXi has Garmin’s G1000H® NXi Integrated Flight Deck and Rolls-Royce M250-C47E/4 dual-channel FADEC turbine engine.

(My photos from launch of 407GXi at Heli Expo 2018 in Las Vegas)

In addition to all the other defence contracts mentioned by @Raven2008 , that are now been awarded in the USA, there is one that might have direct repercussions for the UK . . . .

US Air Force awards $9B contract to Boeing for next training jet
Published by: Valerie Insinna, Defence News, two days ago.

"WASHINGTON — A Boeing-Saab partnership has won a $9.2 billion contract to produce the U.S. Air Force’s next-generation training jet.

Boeing’s award for the T-X trainer program marks the third major victory by the company in about a month, following an $805 million contract to build the Navy’s first four MQ-25 unmanned tankers, and a contract worth up to $2.38 billion to manufacture the Air Force’s Huey replacement helicopter. The T-X down-select was first reported by Reuters.

As the winners of the competition, Boeing and Swedish aerospace firm Saab are set to capture sales of at least 351 training jets to the U.S. Air Force, with possibly more in the international market. The program promises to keep Boeing’s tactical aircraft business strong after the F-15 and F/A-18 Super Hornet lines disappear in the next decade . . .

The Air Force stated that the T-X program originally was to cost about $19.7 billion, and that Boeing’s bid shaved $10 billion off that amount . . . (Impressive !!) . . .

Beyond the 351-aircraft program of record, analysts have speculated there could be significant international interest in T-X from countries that plan to fly the F-35 fighter jet . . . ".

It is understood that BAE Systems, already have an established relationship with SAAB (as international representatives for selling SAAB aircraft ? ).

The article considers it pertinent to mention " . . . analysts have speculated there could be significant international interest in T-X from countries that plan to fly the F-35 fighter jet . . .", such as the UK. Although why the two aircraft are particularly compatible, I have no idea.

US Air Force awards $9B contract to Boeing for next training jet

Last edited:
Hawk T2 only came into service in 2009.
"Possible - EVENTUAL - replacement for RAF advanced jet trainer (and for the Red Arrows)"

The Hawk T2 probably has around 20 more years service life remaining...so it would be very ‘eventual’!

Regards,
MM

However , we do have students and instructors at ENJJPT so (MM may agree with me?) that so its conceivable 2023 onwards, once T-X is fielded to likes of Randolph, Sheppard ...so some RAF personnel will either be taught or be taught to teach.

Cheers

However , we do have students and instructors at ENJJPT so (MM may agree with me?) that so its conceivable 2023 onwards, once T-X is fielded to likes of Randolph, Sheppard ...so some RAF personnel will either be taught or be taught to teach.

Cheers
I don’t believe that we’ve had any UK studes or instructors at ENJJPT for some time.

Regards,
MM

I don’t believe that we’ve had any UK studes or instructors at ENJJPT for some time.

Regards,
MM
The mid to late 90s, in fact. That said, my understanding (from mates in the FJ QFI world) is that we may - stress may - reopen this route for a drip-feed of students per year to partially mitigate the Ascent fiasco.

...my understanding (from mates in the FJ QFI world) is that we may - stress may - reopen this route for a drip-feed of students per year to partially mitigate the Ascent fiasco.
I counldn’t possibly comment! ;)

Regards,
MM

Valley has not been a happy place for some time.

Too many vested interests, too many people pulling in different directions, dare I say that I agree, too many civilian interests on the base.

Not always a good interface between mil and civ interests (quelle surprise)

Not made by BAeS: not going to happen.
Designed by a BAeS "partner".

As they are to be built/assembled in the USA, there is every reason that could also apply to the UK - with our own export markets/customers.

I meant that there will be shortly a contingent of soon to be RAF students and instructors at ENJJPT....thus give it a few years...they could conceivably fly the T-X :)

If you look back at aviation history, whenever the US bring out a new a/c ..us guys are not so far behind from getting experience first hand before any other country.

Cheers

"Possible - EVENTUAL - replacement for RAF advanced jet trainer (and for the Red Arrows)"
X-wing fighter more likely - T2 has decades left in it.

I meant that there will be shortly a contingent of soon to be RAF students and instructors at ENJJPT....thus give it a few years...they could conceivably fly the T-X :)

If you look back at aviation history, whenever the US bring out a new a/c ..us guys are not so far behind from getting experience first hand before any other country.

Cheers
MFTS is a rolling goat. However, I see little likelihood of RAF students and most especially QFIs going to the US anytime soon.

I pride myself on my knowledge of aviation history and our access to new US types is predominantly on operational and test types. I can see no benefit or prospect of UK involvement in T-X.

Regards,
MM