Possible posting near home?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by London_native, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, im thinking of joining the PWRR the 1st Battalion is based in Germany and the 2nd Battalion will be moving to woolwich barracks in August. My question is will The Army most likely send me to Germany because i live exactly 5.5 miles of woolwich barracks to stop me going home every evening and weekend? Please be aware i WANT to go to Germany and am trying to find out The Army's policy on posting new Soldiers in their home town or city. Thank you.
  2. As far as I'm aware it is possible, it's just not normally done. I have the Light dragoons down as my number 2, and they are only 30mins from my house, I was told that a few local guys have got in but they will want to know why that regiment is being chosen, and living near shouldn't be that reason.
  3. Makes no difference, in the RA they actively changed recruiting areas to mirror current location thus bringing in people local to the area, the plan was retention, getting to serve in a location near home was considered a bonus and to some it was, I joined to get away from home and spend close to 12 years within 2 hrs of home but hardly ever went back, getting pished up in town ans whoring was a much better prospect than tea with mum.

Personally I think its a bad idea, being based close to home, I have been in regiments that this happens (when the Green Howards were in Catterick springs to mind) and the place was dead come 3pm on a Friday. However the bonus, in the Frankies case, was lots of "fell off the back of a lorry" kit for sale come Monday morning
  4. I may be wrong but I'm sure it's more to do with manning strength than where you come from. Can't see them devoting too much effort into looking into where your from when they are filling posts.
  5. No, that's a strictly RAF prevalence.
  6. The problem with staying close to home is young soldiers are often influenced by the old car stealing mates and end up in trouble resulting in a fast exit of service.
  7. Thank you all for the information, i thought being based near woolwich barracks would work in my favour of getting posted to Paderborn. I really want to travel and experience different cultures not be stuck in the same place forever.
  8. I am posted into 2PWRR next month, as far as I am aware they are going to Woolwich as a harmony posting as most of the lads in Battalion come from that area. They are due to move to Germany late 2012 early 2013. I have heard nothing but good things about the Bn as a whole (even from the Clerks) so think you making a good choice there.

Anyway good luck and I'll see you in Woolwich when you pass Phase 2, just remember I won't be able to hear you unless your heels are together when you are talking to me LOL!
  9. Sorry just another question, is it possible to change postings with another recruit in training who wants to stay in the UK?
  10. can i ask the reason you chose 1st battalion over 2nd ?
    i only ask coz im not sure which 1 i wanna go in yet
  11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Working on your logic, all those who come from the North East would be posted to a Catterick unit, all those in East Anglia to Colchester.
    Home towns have never been a factor.
  12. im not in yet, but i want the 1st Battalion because i want to go to germany i also like armoured role more than light and i already live in london so want a change.
  13. I thought Nijmegan Company, No 7 Company and F Company were based at Woolwich? Where are they being posted to if the PWRR are moving in there.
  14. Is it not just 2 of those 3 there at any one time. Rotating between there and Wellington. But don't quote me on that.
  15. At the end of the day APC don't give a flying feck where you come from, they look at numbers and who needs bolstering where, if they need the numbers in Germany you'll go there if its Woolwich then your going to be living at home.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.