Possible Pay Cuts inbound?

Just seen this in the Telegraph online:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gen...cut-5billion-in-first-year-of-Government.html

In which Labour apparently admits the Armed forces are looking at £700m in pay cuts. I did a quick search and can't find it anywhere else on here, anyone else seen it and I'm being a biff or is this new news?

I wasn't going to vote for them whilst I've got a hole in my arrse anyway, but £700m between 200k (rough amount of regulars) is an average of £3.5k per head.

As the kids of today might say OMFG.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Or more redundancies! The quickest way to cut the wage bill.

I suspect it will be linked into the NEM process of removing annual increments. There is a deep loathing within all forms of the Gov't of people getting a pay rise simply for surviving another yet in the job.

Now that Afghan is over, it was only a matter of time before the sacred cow was slaughtered.

Welcome to pay and increment freezes and allowances trimmed to the bone.

They would put up your pension contributions if you paid any.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Or more redundancies! The quickest way to cut the wage bill.
I'd not trust any government in that respect. Easy win in their eyes is cutting numbers.

Bastards. They better let me stay in until I'm 55.... at least. Still trying to square away an additional AIP for completing my CMI Lvl 5. Get them in while you can (although you are only allowed max 2 non annual related rises).

I suspect it will be linked into the NEM process of removing annual increments. There is a deep loathing within all forms of the Gov't of people getting a pay rise simply for surviving another yet in the job.

I hadn't picked up on this from any of the 'public' briefings - is removing increments insider knowledge or widely briefed? Will there continue to be a way to reward experience beyond a bigger pension at the end?

The 'journeyman time' thing (i.e. no increments for the first 2 years in a rank, regardless of rank), has been talked about a fair amount in the RN briefings.

There is a drive to remove increments from every other Public Sector pay negotiation for last 18 months.....

Not "Labour cuts". There is already a similar situation in Australia, where the Abbott Government announced a below-inflation 3-year pay "deal" for the Australian Defence Force along with other parts of the public sector, and reductions in leave and financial allowances.

A campaign by representative organisations and politicians succeeded in restoring the allowances but not, so far, in increasing the pay award.

Last edited:

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thank God I'm out of it.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer

Happened to C&E just before the merger with the Dark Side.

That's how to really get your staff onside.

******* cnuts

Just seen this in the Telegraph online:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gen...cut-5billion-in-first-year-of-Government.html

In which Labour apparently admits the Armed forces are looking at £700m in pay cuts. I did a quick search and can't find it anywhere else on here, anyone else seen it and I'm being a biff or is this new news?

I wasn't going to vote for them whilst I've got a hole in my arrse anyway, but £700m between 200k (rough amount of regulars) is an average of £3.5k per head.

As the kids of today might say OMFG.

Try reading it properly. This is about the Govt sponsored treasury document which makes an assguessment of the cost of Labours proposed spending plans should they get into power, and Ed Balls is denying that they would reverse the current Govt spending cuts. The £700 million cuts to AF pay are Conservative cuts.

OK, thank you for your penetrating analysis.

Regrettably I can't say I am awfully consoled by the thought that the cuts would be done to all of us by any one breed of politician over the other.

Even if labour are merely conceding they will do exactly the same as the tories, it doesn't render factually incorrect my statement either - but does give rise to a surprise as I did not realise the tories had established a set figure - to whit the 700mill that labour is (according to the telegraph) admitting to.

Tried three times to get what I feel down, failed miserably troops, sorry.

However, take it as read that I admire All our service personnel.

And I utterly despise politicians

jim30

LE
Hard to see both pay rise and pay spine progression surviving - the armed forces are pretty much the last bit of the public sector to effectively get two pay rises per year.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Worth noting here that, as long as there are folk clamouring to join and we're not engaged in a war of national survival, the political classes could give a lot more of a toss how many expensive senior soldiers and officers flounce off in a snit.

Hard to see both pay rise and pay spine progression surviving - the armed forces are pretty much the last bit of the public sector to effectively get two pay rises per year.

Pay2000, which brought in the aip just 14 years ago was a cost-saving measure (in the form of a pay-cut in real terms for those advancing through it). The total pay for a given person in a given rank over the length of time they spend in that rank is less under Pay2000 with it's annual progressions than it was under the old scheme where a newly-promoted person was paid exactly the same as someone who had been in the rank for several years. The aip is not a pay rise, it's a gradual removal of a pay cut.

Latest Threads