Possible mother of all Walts

Discussion in 'Waltenkommando' started by Pyianno, Jul 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I got word of a guy yesterday, old man from my home town. The man who told me about this is a friend of his - a highly reliable source (i.e. if he tells me this is what was claimed, I believe him).

The story was this. This old man claims to have served as Montgomery's orderly, I think during the Second World War - although my friend was not 100% on this.

He claims Montgomery produced two sets of diaries - the memoirs as published, and an 'uncensored' set of expanded memoirs. He claims to have the original hand written copies of these at his home, and is keeping them in order to give them to his daughter when he snuffs it.

I am going to try and find out more tomorrow and will post back. Could be interesting.

2. No doubt your chap's a walt.

BUT separately the story relating to a second set of memories isn't that unlikely. Have you seen some of the comments he started coming out with the 1960s?

NB Wikipedia's purged a lot of the more interesting ones.

3. What a shame. I understood that he was pretty scathing about other Allied commanders. I wouldn't have minded seeing some of those comments

4. Not as scathing as they were of him

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

• Like Like x 1
  5. I recommend 'The Desert Generals' by Correlli Barnet to get a very good idea of what 'Monty' was like...and where he got his 'plans' from, 'cos they weren't his!!

6. It's not Mulligan, cupbearer to the late lamented Caubeen, is it?

7. Is the answer Mrs. Shortt?

8. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Montgomery definitely kept a diary during the war - indeed towards the end of the war he learned of its potential value from an American reporter. Montgomery grinned and said "I guess I won't die in the poor house then..."

If they're like Alanbrooke's diaries - where he let off stream about thoughts he could not confide to anyone else - Montgomery's original diaries would be an explosive document.

But for them to be explosive, they would of course have first to be genuine....

Wordsmith

9. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Monty's real diaries will never be allowed to see the light of day. Can you imagine what they say about the great heroes Churchill and Eisenhower? The Establishment will suppress them if they ever turn up. Probably get a bunch of "historians" to say that they're fake. And if it destroys a fellow academic's reputation in the process, well, c'est la guerre. After all, they managed to get rid of Hitler's. This old boy should be careful who he tells.

10. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Alanbrooke's full diaries eventually saw the light of day - and they were at time hugely critical of much of the senior leadership.

Churchill - drunk and argumentative at meetings
    Mountbatten - promoted above his ceiling
    George Marshall - no strategic ability
    Eisenhower - not a battle field commander

I doubt Montgomery's diaries will contain information that's not already known from other accounts - Montgomery was well known for his scathing opinion of Eisenhower for example. The difference would be that it would be Montgomery's own words.

Wordsmith

11. Read Beevoirs D Day book. Very interesting comments there.

Coming within a whisker of getting relieved of his command.

Making crap statements to the press, then "spinning" his way out of the fallout etc.

Cheers
    Gadge

12. Mother of all walts? Someone should track this woman down and have a word.

I bet she’s only popping them out to get a big house and free dosh from the government. It’s no wonder this country’s getting smaller and everyone’s being forced to learn to speak Muslim. I could puke, I really could.

13. The names and background of Montgomery's staff are well known and documented. There have been books about Montgomery by lots of people who knew him very well. His son. His biographer Nigel (?) Hamilton. One of the researchers who worked on Montgomery's "History of Warfare" edited a book about Monty using the accounts of different people who worked for him. I would be very surprised if someone had Montgomery's "real" diary. Why would Monty keep a private diary? Monty liked his history loose leafed. Why would he create a hostage to fortune and run the risk of being caught out.

It would be a different matter if it turned out that he was Dempsey's orderly and preserved a copy of the documents that Dempsey/s widow destroyed. That would be a real find. We don't know much about Dempsey;s view of "the master"

14. And why entrust it to his batman ?