Possible merger of Para Reg & Royal Marines

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by silent_echo, Apr 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spotted this article and was wondering if there's any truth to this and whether or not it's likely to happen?

Link to the Article

In response to a question in the House of Commons Des Browne responded:

Also from the article:

2. April fool?
  3. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Checks calendar, yep reckon it is.
  4. Very well put together however.

Well done the culprit :D.
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

The Wingate's are yet again seen as mad as a box of frogs!
  6. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

But what would the Corps ethos be? Would you have naked jumps? Would you call everyone not a ParaMarine a hoofin hat?

We need to know. I need to stop drinking and go to bed.

And a green/maroon beret would just be a mess. Sod it go for a Pink one and be done with it.
  7. Actually the article is dated the March 31st so if it is an April fools joke they were a day early.

EDIT: It could well be a wind up just took a look on the Times website to try and find it on there and it was no were to be seen also the web address isn't even the same, sorry lads looks like I fell hook line and sinker for a wind up I thought it was unlikely but since it was dated 31st March............. Bloody good job they've done though the websites look almost identical but I guess that'll teach me to look harder before posting!!
  8. 2 years from Nod/Crow to fully fledged steelyeyeddeathdealinparajumpinbeachhittindaypackgrenadedefusin' warrior, feck me Mr (I use the term loosely) Browne himself would have to stand a watch or two at that rate.
    Still the finished product would never be out of MCTC it would be beating itself up all the time. "My Corps better than your Regiment..you talkin' to me..."
  10. LOL, good one though.
  11. Things said in Jest and all that. What a good idea, other than traditions and capbadges, is there a reason this shouldn´t happen? We already have the SFSG.

Also I don´t think that the training facilities are in Aldershot anymore.
  12. quote from the piece:

The question initially was aimed at raising the issue of the lack of "Live Jumps" for the Parachute Regiment. Mr Loof then asked whether the Royal Marines would lose their swimming training.
    News was intially released after a question by Conservative MP for Exeter, Mr Loof.

Liberal Democrat MP for Aldershot Mr Evan Keel welcomed the news and the extra investment into the area.

I think you find as posted before in the thread, this is a good attempt at an April fool, du to my bold, RM loosing swimming training? Mr Loof? Evan (even) Keel?

13. Thats a very good knock up! Best April fools of the year so far...
  14. whilst im sure its a mahossive april fool wah... i wounder how long before cheep as achips gordo send for his part time MOD clerk to have a study done bound too have a few bob that he can waste ..... :x