Possible merger of Para Reg & Royal Marines

Spotted this article and was wondering if there's any truth to this and whether or not it's likely to happen?

Link to the Article

In response to a question in the House of Commons Des Browne responded:

"The Royal Marines Training facility will close and resources switched to the training facility at Aldershot. "By merging the sub special forces we will be able to create an elite hybrid soldier that would surpass that of both the existing Royal Marines and the Parachute Regiment.
Also from the article:

The decision is seen as a setback for both proud organisations who defend their cap badges with pride. It is thought that the new unit will be called "The Royal Marine and Parachute Commando Regiment" and start producing trained ranks with 2 years.

Although not confirmed at this time, it will probably mean the end of the Royal Marines and Parachute Regiment as we currently know them.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Checks calendar, yep reckon it is.

Result of WHOIS query:

Domain name:
timesnewsonline.co.uk

Registrant:
Graeme wingate

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
181 wakefield road
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
S71 1NP
GB

Registrar:
Heart Internet Ltd t/a Heart Internet [Tag = HEARTINTERNET]
URL: http://www.heartinternet.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 31-Mar-2008
Renewal date: 31-Mar-2010

Registration status:
Registration request being processed.

The Wingate's are yet again seen as mad as a box of frogs!

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
But what would the Corps ethos be? Would you have naked jumps? Would you call everyone not a ParaMarine a hoofin hat?

We need to know. I need to stop drinking and go to bed.

And a green/maroon beret would just be a mess. Sod it go for a Pink one and be done with it.

Actually the article is dated the March 31st so if it is an April fools joke they were a day early.

EDIT: It could well be a wind up just took a look on the Times website to try and find it on there and it was no were to be seen also the web address isn't even the same, sorry lads looks like I fell hook line and sinker for a wind up I thought it was unlikely but since it was dated 31st March............. Bloody good job they've done though the websites look almost identical but I guess that'll teach me to look harder before posting!!

2 years from Nod/Crow to fully fledged steelyeyeddeathdealinparajumpinbeachhittindaypackgrenadedefusin' warrior, feck me Mr (I use the term loosely) Browne himself would have to stand a watch or two at that rate.
Still the finished product would never be out of MCTC it would be beating itself up all the time. "My Corps better than your Regiment..you talkin' to me..."

Things said in Jest and all that. What a good idea, other than traditions and capbadges, is there a reason this shouldn´t happen? We already have the SFSG.

Also I don´t think that the training facilities are in Aldershot anymore.

quote from the piece:

The question initially was aimed at raising the issue of the lack of "Live Jumps" for the Parachute Regiment. Mr Loof then asked whether the Royal Marines would lose their swimming training.
News was intially released after a question by Conservative MP for Exeter, Mr Loof.

Liberal Democrat MP for Aldershot Mr Evan Keel welcomed the news and the extra investment into the area.

I think you find as posted before in the thread, this is a good attempt at an April fool, du to my bold, RM loosing swimming training? Mr Loof? Evan (even) Keel?

Stilts

VarSity said:
Thats a very good knock up! Best April fools of the year so far...
whilst im sure its a mahossive april fool wah... i wounder how long before cheep as achips gordo send for his part time MOD clerk to have a study done bound too have a few bob that he can waste ..... :x

Mod Oracle

Hey Guys, Didn't expect that one to get round that quick, bloody hell your fast.

It was meant for our RM Recruits site at prmc.co.uk, http://prmc.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16

There are 2 news threads from a supposed automated news bot, so looks pretty believeable. With both of them together we have managed to convince a few and got a few calling their AFCO's this morning.

Still these things happen, :D

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
halo_jones said:
VarSity said:
Thats a very good knock up! Best April fools of the year so far...
whilst im sure its a mahossive april fool wah... i wounder how long before cheep as achips gordo send for his part time MOD clerk to have a study done bound too have a few bob that he can waste ..... :x
Unfortunately, Gordo 'the cnut' Broon has no sense of humour and the site has been pointed out to him. He has now scheduled parliamentary time for discussing it . . .

GreyWing said:
Mod Oracle

Hey Guys, Didn't expect that one to get round that quick, bloody hell your fast.

It was meant for our RM Recruits site at prmc.co.uk, http://prmc.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16

There are 2 news threads from a supposed automated news bot, so looks pretty believeable. With both of them together we have managed to convince a few and got a few calling their AFCO's this morning.

Still these things happen, :D

Seriously good effort, I particularly like the bold below!!! :lol:

The ongoing furore caused by the allegations in the media of the amalgamation of the elite Royal Marines Commandos and the well meaning elite Parachute Regiment persists today and has been denounced as "A complete disgrace" by a Royal Navy spokesman.

Lieutenant Colonel Hardly-Worthitt CBE of the Parachute Regiment states that the move will create the worlds finest super soldier, capable of both jumping and swimming.

His Royal Navy counterpart and head of Royal Navy media ops Commander U.P Hill-Gardener stated notes of caution in the experimental move.

He also stated "That today's date is highly important as it coincides with the end of the financial year and cutbacks are a must to pay for ongoing operations in the far east. The end of the tax year review is typically associated with closures and MOD cut backs.

According to Hansard and Reuters, news of the imminent closure of the Commando Training Centre, Lympstone, Devon persists despite denials from internal quantifiable sources

The news is set to be confirmed in an announcement to Parliament by Defence Secretary Des Browne at noon today. It is not yet known what will happen to the elite RAF Regiment who are being rumored to take control of the training and development of both the Royal Marines and Parachute Regiment recruits.

Bet everyone loved this bit based on the thread in the NAFFI

[]"It is not yet known what will happen to the elite RAF Regiment who are being rumored to take control of the training and development of both the Royal Marines and Parachute Regiment recruits."[/]