Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Yes, I think I may have

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Possibly, not sure

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • No, Not at All

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters
I've always been cursed with a touch of idealism and have always felt an affinity with the underdog. This is one of the reasons I have remained in Australia so long and may be a result of the discrimination that my Irish Catholic ancestors faced in England after the famine. I have posted before about my concerns about the anti-Muslim hysteria that seems to be sweeping the nation and have even participated in marches to express solidarity with the Islamic community here in Australia.

However, a couple of recent events have caused me to question my stance. The various levels of Australian Governments have had a policy of promoting employment from a non English Speaking cultural background. This means that there are lot of petty officials coming from Sydney's large Lebanese Community and over the past couple of weeks I have encountered discrimination and malicious conduct from two members of this community. Both of these individuals were aware of my service (as a Civil Servant) in Afghanistan, and am wondering if this was the root cause of their antipathy.

I really don't want ascribe this to reverse racism, so I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar experiences? What tactics have you used to deal with this?

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have never experienced any form of discrimination in Australia.

I hope this helps

This could be, in part, due to not having ever traveled there although I did work with some Aussies on a couple of occasions.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

I hope this helps

This could be, in part, due to not having ever traveled there although I did work with some Aussies on a couple of occasions.

I too have never experienced any form of discrimination in Australia.

Mind you, I have never been there!

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I too have never experienced any form of discrimination in Australia.

Mind you, I have never been there!

read the 'secret' text in my post....

I think it's about time to say "This is going well"

I have, and I have. On arrival, I was hoiked off to secondary inspection. Someone with a similar name was on their list. But it turned out to not be me. This didn't surprise me, as I had done nothing wrong.

gorilla

War Hero
After leaving the Army, when i was looking for work (financial industry) that companies didn't want to hire, despite having a fantastic CV and performing excellently at interview that due to my service I wasn't the type of person they were looking to hire as it portrayed the wrong image due to having served. I've also been asked to prove that I can write English despite having A-Levels!

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
After leaving the Army, when i was looking for work (financial industry) that companies didn't want to hire, despite having a fantastic CV and performing excellently at interview that due to my service I wasn't the type of person they were looking to hire as it portrayed the wrong image. I've also been asked to prove that I can write English despite having A-Levels!

You'd never know it.

I've always been cursed with a touch of idealism and have always felt an affinity with the underdog. This is one of the reasons I have remained in Australia so long and may be a result of the discrimination that my Irish Catholic ancestors faced in England after the famine. I have posted before about my concerns about the anti-Muslim hysteria that seems to be sweeping Australia and have even participated in marches to express solidarity with the Islamic community here in Australia.

However, a couple of recent events have caused me to question my stance. The various levels of Australian Governments have had a policy of promoting employment from a non English Speaking cultural background. This means that there are lot of petty officials coming from Sydney's large Lebanese Community and over the past couple of weeks I have encountered discrimination and malicious conduct from two members of this community. Both of these individuals were aware of my service (as a Civil Servant) in Afghanistan, and am wondering if this was the root cause of their antipathy.

I really don't want ascribe this to reverse racism, so I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar experiences? What tactics have you used to deal with this?

Poof.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
read the 'secret' text in my post....

I think it's about time to say "This is going well"
I guessed there may have been something there but it does not show up on my tablet thingy - or I can't get it to work which is more likely!

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I guessed there may have been something there but it does not show up on my tablet thingy - or I can't get it to work which is more likely!

Hold your finger on the text. You'll (probably) get two blue dots to highlight stuff by dragging them about.

It'll show when highlighted.

You fuckinĝ dinosaur

I hope this helps

They set a dog on my oppo big black gaz in Sydney airport when we were on POTL

He managed to utter the phrase "Is it coz I iz black" as he was lying on the ground having his big bawls sniffed by an excited springer

Oh the oppression! Even generations later the poor downtrodden can't let go and look upon life with the papal green, white and orange stripped blinkers.

I've always been cursed with a touch of idealism and have always felt an affinity with the underdog. This is one of the reasons I have remained in Australia so long and may be a result of the discrimination that my Irish Catholic ancestors faced in England after the famine. I have posted before about my concerns about the anti-Muslim hysteria that seems to be sweeping the nation and have even participated in marches to express solidarity with the Islamic community here in Australia.

nah, you just lack charisma and therefore send out subliminal messages that you're a loser and are there to be fecked with...

. are you Knob4 in disguise? ...

Troy

LE
In general terms Aussies have discriminated against the Abbos since the beginning. So if some Ausies get a taste of discrimination from time to time then some would say that it's only fitting. Not me though, I would find it bloody disgraceful just as when I suspect "positive" discrimination over here. Let's face it, we have all that we have in terms of infrastructure and such like, only because generations of people have worked at it and paid taxes. We only have this now, because of our forebears. That goes for their war-time service too. So the idea of just treating incomers as if they should get equal shares, entitlements, control and so forth gets my goat.

I went for an interveiw for a walking guide for the lake district park authority, when i mentioned the Paras i could see they were imagining me punching old ladies in the kidneys to keep up on tabs up Scarfell. Didnt get that job.

I wouldnt have punched them. I would have just left them behind.

vinniethemanxcat

On ROPS
On ROPs
I went for an interveiw for a walking guide for the lake district park authority, when i mentioned the Paras i could see they were imagining me punching old ladies in the kidneys to keep up on tabs up Scarfell. Didnt get that job.

I wouldnt have punched them. I would have just left them behind.

Bacongrills: [Explaining why the mountain rescue helicopters play music during little old lady rescues]

We use Wagner.

It scares the shit out of the Cumbrians.

My boys love it!

Last edited:

1. This is what you get for living in Sydney.
2. Perhaps Abdul was on the rags that day?