Possibility of joining police with a criminal record

Discussion in 'Police, PMCs, Security' started by Jmacmac, Jun 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking at getting out the Army after 12 good years, and am thinking about joining the Police, but have a criminal record dating back 10 yrs. apart from this one time,my record is spotless, although the crime was a serious one. Anyone know if there are certain offences willing to be overlooked or if its a case by case basis?

2. So what did you do ?

3. Most forces are a no-no. MOD plod takes each case on its merits though.

4. I wouldn't hold your breath. The police get so many applicants who don't have criminal records that you'd have to be a ******* ninja to be considered. I don't know if the whole 'spent/unspent' thing applies though, could be worth looking into.

5. You get a job, but you have to be the "bad cop" all the time.

It gets very tiresome.

6. Depends on what you did. A mate of mine I worked with had a caution for drunka and disorderly and was in the job.

Anyway, last I heard most UK forces weren't recruiting and the days of ex forces guys being looked on favourably has long gone. You'll be up against shop assistance and former local authority diversity co-ordinators.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

7. Was it a crime of a sexual nature?

I hope so as it is vastly more interesting reading a headline of " Sex Maniac Sodomises Univerity Student" rather than, "Man Stole Garden Mower".

• Like Like x 2
  8. Case by case basis. Will come down to nature of the offence, circumstances, time elapsed since conviction, severity of punishment handed out, previous character etc etc. Thats the official line anyway, what happens in practice is quite different. Im aware of someone who got the whole way through the selection procedure only to be binned at the last stage before being given an intake date (security vetting) despite already holding CTC (I think, may have been SC) clearance.

Only thing that could have affected it was an 8 year old caution for criminal damage as a result of being 19 pissed and stupid. To say he wasnt best pleased was an understatement, particularly when all avenues of appeal were exhausted and the chief constable refused to give information on the reason he had been binned. Even when approached by a local MP.

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Apart from this One Time, at Band Camp...... so were you molesting a sub 16-y-o cutie with her flutie?

In all seriousness...

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act doesn't apply to police vetting (just like the Army) and works on a 'tells us everything' policy.

Your biggest problem (as some have suggested) is finding a force that's recruiting, and even then application to start of training is likely to be 18mths + at best.

You could go down the PCSO route, as some forces actually do recruit from them first, but would you really want to?

10. They say its assessed on a case by case basis but it isn't. The rules are pretty black and white and it wouldn't be very 'pc' (no pun intended) to tell a potential applicant to ram it!

11. Welcome to ARRSE, most forces are 'of good character' only, ie no crim record.

12. Specifically, its one of the "exempt" professions where convictions never become spent and must always be included on the clearance form. Its still touted as not being a bar to entry and considered on a case to case basis.

13. About 12 yrs ago, I got to the 3 day assessemnt for TVP with a juvenile record and an (unspent) one for public unrination. I didn't get in because I'm a chopper, not becasue I was a scally.

Also passed selection for a SC for TVP a few years later and they weren't concerned with it either. Had to drop that due to work commitments. :sad:

14. If Winsor has his way, which could be sooner rather than later, you will need to jump through the following hoops, before even taking your conviction into account:
    3 A levels minimum
    Previous service as a Special Constable /PCSO
    Willing to take an almost certain pay drop to £19k pa for a minimum of 2 years

The message is loud and clear. We don't want ex forces with experience of life/confrontational situations/judgement calls etc etc.

We DO want overeducated, under experienced, diversity overdosed drones who will toe the party line without question.

Good luck with your application by the way.

15. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I know a chap who is in the plod and had a drink driving conviction prior to joining