Positive feedback

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by chrisg46, Jul 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Saw this on another thread and got me thinking, which is quite a feat in itself on a Monday morning...Anyway, does anyone have experience of positive interactions with the public while doing the job? Not in public events such as open days/recruitment stands etc, but say in circumstances where praise/compliments is unlooked for?
    My example comes a couple of years ago while patrolling across the Plain near Rollestone camp. Fully cammed & bombed up, bergans on we were moving quietly along the side of a small road when we saw a car driving along in the distance. This car drove slowly passed us as the family gawked out the windows with the kids shouting "soldiers soldiers" in the back and the dad pointing. I think this happened either just before or after the Iraq invasion, so we were kept an eye on him as he turned the car round and drove slowly passed us again, still watching. As he got near the head of the column the dad stopped and got out. Ready for a mouthful of abuse, we were surprised when he just gave us a thumbs up and announced loudly "Just want to say thanks guys, we do all really appreciate what you do for us, thank you" and then got back into his car and drove off. Back of his car was adorned with support our troops stickers and so on. Didnt take any pictures of us, he purely seemed to want to show his kids some soldiers (didnt have the heart to tell him we were TA)!

Needless to say, the urine was extracted shortly afterwards...

Nearer the other end of the scale, My TAC was picketed by anti war types last year, handing out leaflets to the guys as they came in which exp-lained how they could get out of the mobilisation for telic that had been in the papers a few days earlier. They were quite disappointed to be informed we ahd already gone :D

2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Jesus, its that bad huh?