Positive experiences with Cadets and ACF

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by semper, May 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. thought to create a different tack with regards to the usual walt, baiting statements and insults.

this thread is created for Regs/TA who have HAD experience of working with ACF bods and would like to relate it here, im sure there have been good experiences, perhaps some advice would be handy.
    so carry on in here,

Ex and Current Regs/TA only to type here in order to preserve the Integrity of this thread.

i hope the mods will keep an eye on this one and remove pointless posting by ACF and non army types. thanks

2. Inspected a few ACF Dets over the years.

Typically see stacks of effort from the youngsters and much rather see them in an ACF hut learning to contribute to society than outside the Spar smashing up bus-stops and cheeking old ladies.

ACF AIs and Offrs? Seems like the same mixed bag you'll get in ACF, TA and Regs - most above the quality line, some exceptional (my CSgt at RMAS is now an AI with the ACF) a tiny minority not fit to serve (the one's you normally hear about). As I say, applicable to all elms of Army, not just its uniformed youth movement.

Biggest plus for me as a civvy employer is the DofE Award Scheme. Well done all who contribute to this.

3. Hope I am not breeching protocol. I am an ex-TA medic, now SI with ACF. I run the D of E for my company. Thank you for the kind words.
    Whilst I may have a slightly disproportionate view of the ACF (which is born out of an intense sense of pride) I hope that I'm not a real 18 carat "Walt". During my ITC I met a couple of Potential Instructors (PI's) whom I could have cheerfully t****d for their total lack of commitment. Towit, were not prepared to fire L98 or the LSW because they did not like guns, WHAT??? Dipped out of the nav-ex on the tank training area near Wathgil, because the hills were to steep. Its not really their fault, after all who the hell lets them join in the first place?
    On the other hand there are people that I can only hope to be as good as one day. They come from all walks of life especially ex Regs and TA, from Sappers to SAS. It's the involvment of the latter that provides the wealth of expertise that has helped the cadets exist for more than 150 years. Respect to you all.

4. I did the Tour de Mont Blanc on a school CCF trip. No other youth group would have given me such an opportunity. Not to mention my enthusiasm for shooting, having gone on three or four Bisley trips and regional SAA's. As an organisation, I have nothing but good to say about them. Abacus is bang-on though - they are not immune from the walts and mongs who permeate ALL aspects of service life.

5. I have since left the RE, but when in the CCF in 1995, we climbed an unclimbed 6000m peak int eh Western Himalaya - good days...!

6. I've had little to do with ACF, but can do a compare & contrast on two CCF units - neither being my old school.

The schools are in different counties, but both are effectively 'County Grammar School' getting those in top 2%, historically boys but now taking some girls.

One has a long history and has produced some famous soldiers, but is as low in the school 'pecking order' as a series of Heads can put it. The officer (experienced ex-Reg, and a good guy) tries to get things done on military lines, but often has the ground cut out from under him. As a result many lads do not attend on a regular basis and shamble through their camps/parades, thinking that putting their band into home service tunics makes them better. The overall impression of the unit is that they are living off past glories, and wrongly seem to look down their noses at others.

As for the other, I've not heard of any famous old-boys (although there may be some). The cadets have established a routine of good attendance and the passing on of military skills. The heads have been supportive and the officer in charge (a teacher) is low-key. The impression given is that they are quietly efficient and that the lads are enjoying it immensely. There is a high standard of drill & kit - one that would shame some TA and regular sub-units.

Now, the schools have various advantages over other ACF-type units. They are on school premises, so everyone is available and weak excuses like 'late from tea, missed the bus' can't be used - also wet lunch breaks can be spent in CCF hut.

In the end I see the difference between the two as the adults. Set the kids off on the right track and watch them go - but some of the ACF instructors seem to be living out dreams of power they were (rightly) deprived of in the Regulars. While I shouldn't be too specific, a recent example (witnessed by a Guards ex-SNCO) where a week-long camp for kids resulted in no useful teaching, and ended with a parade where 100 or so kids looked a shambles on a parade. What must the kids feel after that ?.

Oh my god, was that a rant?.

7. Good points Bisley - as someone who shared that particular ITC experience with you I can undertand the frustration. Don't like guns? hills to steep? WTF is that all about?

Thought we were supposed to lead by example and inspire. As you say this raises the question of should those people have been allowed to pass and should they be allowed to "inspire" cadets?

Whiffler raised some good points too. Training should be useful, interesting and of real value. After all that is the reason the kids join! They WANT to learn wpn handling, shooting, drill, fieldcraft, first aid etc.

We must provide it and furthermore in as professional a manner as we can and to the APC Syllabus standard.

My det is in a TA Centre and we are lucky enough to have a .22 indoor range. One of the highlights of the monthly training programme as far as the cadets are concerned is shooting. Now that the TA are losing .22 ranges we are tasked with "keeping the facility open". I intend having Cadets converting as many lives rounds to empty cases as I possibly can.

8. I have recently joined the ACF as a PI. Hopefully to become an AI in Feb.
    If anyone has any hints and tips that they could pass on to me i would be very greatfull.
    Please no stupid comments as i am serious about the ACF.

Many thanks. :?

9. On my ITC we had:

2 PIs that already had made to measure canes
    1 that did feck all all week as she was ill, but danced the night away at the thurs disco.
    1 that had previous service, but in a special regiment thats why his paperwork could not be seen by the ACF
    1 that cried on the ranges
    2 or 3 that I would not trust anyones kids with
    and loads and loads of really good people who want to do a really good job and give the cadets the best time.

Oh I forgot the 1 that told me that he was now a qualified sgt in his capbadged regiment as he had completed the ITC, I agreed with him and told him to phone RHQ speak to the RSM in a 121, caring, sharing way, and give him the benefit of his 7 days experience on the ITC and how he could assist the RSM in raising the standards of dress and footdrill. Hope he did :D

10. Just bear in mind that there may be situations where your senior cadets will know more than you. If appropriate, take their advice.

11. That if I may so is excellent advice.

12. you may, and thank you. had to delete my previous post, wasnt positive!!

13. Thanks you lot only problem is that only 1 piece of advice came from the myre of the forum .
    Anyone else out there got any usefull tips?? :p

14. Remember that the kids will look to you as their role model:

Kit got to be immaculate, boots highly polished, you clean shaven, etc., etc.

If you don't want them to smoke, get p1ssed, sh4g everything in sight and generally behave badly then you can't either. And no it won't wash with a 14 year old that you're old enough to smoke, drink and get laid. (Assuming you were that sort which we're sure you're not :wink: )

Make friends with your local TA Centre. They WILL have Cpls with range qualifications and other instructor qualifications that they never get to use and who should be getting the chance to practise on your kids under your supervision. Tip - the guy to impress is the PSAO, if he likes you everything is possible.

15. I thank you some sound advice if ever there was any.