Positive Discrimination

#1
Positive discrimination in the police is a highly visible fashion. It seems common knowledge now that if you are a regular decent white, straight, 6ft tall male you have far less chance of getting into the police than if you are a 4ft something cross dressing, gay, asian man.
It's actually surprising that the long suffering indiginous population have put up with this state of affairs for as long as they have.
At last, one police sergeant is standing up for himself.
And because he has decided to complain at the preferential treatment given to an ethnic minority person over himself he was first offerred promotion, then had it withdrawn when he wouldn't be silenced, and then, in an attempt to intimidate and frighten him into silence, accused of discrimination himself, and demoted back to constable.
A decade ago I would never have believed that the establishment of the police service itself would stoop to such underhand and illegal practices.
I hope this police officer is well supported as he exposes this particular can of worms.

IN FULL HERE
 
#3
Agreed that the police do seem to have a strange bias towards minorities, which will eventually come back to roost, I'm sure.

However, the area where this asian chap has been promoted ahead of this caucasian chap seems to be a particularly diverse area; Perhaps when they say they felt having someone who could speak all the locals languages and understood them on a cultural level, they mean it?

Although I'm disgusted that in England, the Police are having to promote someone who is essentially foreign because of his ability to speak foreign languages which could aid him in ENGLAND! Disgusting all round really.
 
#4
being politically correct, drives me up the wall, you could almost call that a racist act there!!!!!!
 
#5
The_Goon said:
Agreed that the police do seem to have a strange bias towards minorities, which will eventually come back to roost, I'm sure.

However, the area where this asian chap has been promoted ahead of this caucasian chap seems to be a particularly diverse area; Perhaps when they say they felt having someone who could speak all the locals languages and understood them on a cultural level, they mean it?

Although I'm disgusted that in England, the Police are having to promote someone who is essentially foreign because of his ability to speak foreign languages which could aid him in ENGLAND! Disgusting all round really.
Yes, and when people claim that this white person is better for that job (not because he is white, but because he IS better for that job), maybe they would employ the white person instead of hitting ethnic targets?

BOLLOX they would.
 
#6
The_Goon said:
Agreed that the police do seem to have a strange bias towards minorities, which will eventually come back to roost, I'm sure.

However, the area where this asian chap has been promoted ahead of this caucasian chap seems to be a particularly diverse area; Perhaps when they say they felt having someone who could speak all the locals languages and understood them on a cultural level, they mean it?

Although I'm disgusted that in England, the Police are having to promote someone who is essentially foreign because of his ability to speak foreign languages which could aid him in ENGLAND! Disgusting all round really.
Exactly my point: if you live in the UK - learn to fcuking speak English! There should never be a situation where police have to promte someone because the civilians they deal with cannot understand english. Disgraceful.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
Hi there, thanks for applying for the job, but due to discrimination in the force (you are white), I'm afraid we can't offer you that position. We hope you understand and go away feeling, erm, positive?
 
#8
I think that the positive discrimination thing has been going for a while. There are lot's of areas where it goes on to compensate for 'under representation' of the ethnic minorities. In the media and advertising it can be quite funny (have you watched the AA adverts?) but I'm not sure if I can confident that we are getting the best person for the job, rather than the best colour for the job in some cases.
 
#9
ericthellama said:
I think that the positive discrimination thing has been going for a while. There are lot's of areas where it goes on to compensate for 'under representation' of the ethnic minorities. In the media and advertising it can be quite funny (have you watched the AA adverts?) but I'm not sure if I can confident that we are getting the best person for the job, rather than the best colour for the job in some cases.
What was the one about not allowing contractors to tender if they were not a diverse employer or some such?

Its funny how when they employ an ethnic above another person they say well its because he has the skills, but neglect to mention they have quotas to meet.
 
#10
I always tick the 'diverse' box when tendering for work and filling the forms in. Being born in South Africa of British parents allows me to tick the 'Ethnic African' box. I have a young British Chinese lady starting next week and only really need a Ginger person to complete the set.
 
#12
Well recruiting from a diverse background does have advantages, such as language skills and cultural understanding. It also helps your people blend in when they're undercover. From what I've read the SRR is supposed to be going for that, but they are a classified unit, which means everything written about them is probably a ton of crap.

On the point, affirmative action to look PC is so stupid it's not funny, since you only get people who are less qualified in because they are from a minority, which only deepens the perception that they are less capable of doing their jobs properly. Levelling the playing field is one thing, AA is just cheating.
However as I said targeted recruiting to pick people who may add value due to their background is something else, and should be encouraged when possible. For example the Army probably couldn't have enough soldiers who speak Arabic.
 
#13
If he is better qualified for the job cant he take them to a tribunal? Am I wrong in thinking that if he can prove he is better suited he should win? Especially as he is working for a public body.
 
#14
FrankCastle said:
The_Goon said:
Agreed that the police do seem to have a strange bias towards minorities, which will eventually come back to roost, I'm sure.

However, the area where this asian chap has been promoted ahead of this caucasian chap seems to be a particularly diverse area; Perhaps when they say they felt having someone who could speak all the locals languages and understood them on a cultural level, they mean it?

Although I'm disgusted that in England, the Police are having to promote someone who is essentially foreign because of his ability to speak foreign languages which could aid him in ENGLAND! Disgusting all round really.
Exactly my point: if you live in the UK - learn to fcuking speak English! There should never be a situation where police have to promte someone because the civilians they deal with cannot understand english. Disgraceful.

You're right, there shouldn't be....but there is. It's not the police's fault, but it is something they have to deal with. However, it shouldn't be allowed to interfere with people's careers and promotion prospects.
 
#15
FrankCastle said:
Exactly my point: if you live in the UK - learn to fcuking speak English! There should never be a situation where police have to promte someone because the civilians they deal with cannot understand english. Disgraceful.

In my personal opinion, if you go to a Country, and intend to stay there for awhile but make no provisions to adapt into the culture, learn the language and earn a wage whilst contributing to the State, then you are mearly a Tourist, and should be sent back at the first offence.
 
#16
Ah yes, but Police have to deal with tourists all the time, and it's not going to be very good for the tourism industry if your Police appear to be incapable of protecting tourists while they are guests in your country.
More to the point, you can't wish away the fact that there are a lot of people in Britain as in most migrant-heavy nations that dont speak the official language.
And you can't learn a language over night, what do people do in the time it takes them to learn? Take the law into their own hands because they can't explain anything to the Police?
 
#17
I think that the whole point of positive discrimination is to get the minorities out there and visible. While it is obviously desirable that they are the best qualified for the job, I don't think that it's necessarily the be all and end all for those who choose.

The BBC seemed to go multicultural overnight a few years back, and the chances of a huge wave of highly qualified minorities hitting the media job market at that same moment is just about zero. It was a very obvious case of just getting them out there. The minorities are now grossly over represented in front of the camera, but hey, they are doing a pretty good job of it . . and who after all wouldn't want to smother Moira Stuart in whipped cream and lick it all off?
 
#18
Mr.Brown said:
Ah yes, but Police have to deal with tourists all the time, and it's not going to be very good for the tourism industry if your Police appear to be incapable of protecting tourists while they are guests in your country.
More to the point, you can't wish away the fact that there are a lot of people in Britain as in most migrant-heavy nations that dont speak the official language.
And you can't learn a language over night, what do people do in the time it takes them to learn? Take the law into their own hands because they can't explain anything to the Police?

Im not saying that a potential migrant needs to assimilate instantly, mearly that they should be on some sort of "plan" to accomodate and respect their cultures, whilst educating them to do the same for ours.

Language need not be a barrier, not here.
 
#19
Totally agreed. Here in Australia my personal preference would be for the Government to be alowed to allocate where refugees are to live for say, the first 5 years they're here, to prevent ghettoes from forming. So far we've done pretty well on that score, unlike the Europeans.
One big initiative has been to get refugees from the recent waves coming out of Sudan and Chad to move out into regional centres in an effort to 1, prevent the ghettos thing from happening, and 2, adress the critical shortage of young working age people there. So far it's been panning out well since it's not like these people are afraid of hard work.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top