"Position of trust" ought to apply to health care

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Fireplace, Oct 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Patients starve and die of thirst on hospital wards

Patients starve and die of thirst on hospital wards - Telegraph

So the maths teacher can be done for taking his sweetie to france for abusing his position of trust, but the blatently incompetent doctors and hospital staff get a "is spared jail" card.

The bit, above, about the patient ringing 999 for water and the two responding coppers being told by nursing staff, "Oh, he's just confused. There's no problem." No. Not if you discount the fact he died of dehydration two hours later. There was a media report a year or two ago about some patients reduced to drinking the water from their flower vases.

Some of these fuckers need to be locked away, but there's no justice for the dead.

2. Its not the public sector's fault, Thatchers evil tories did it with their cuts....must be true... I heard some geeser called Serwotka say so.

3. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I am not surprised. Some years ago my mother was in hospital. She noticed the woman in the bed next to her was not eating - in the end it turned out it was due to severe depression. The nursing staff were putting down a full plate of food at meal times and taking away the uneaten food at the end of the meal.

My mother is not a shrinking violet. She complained at successively higher levels of the hospital hierarchy until she eventually found a consultant who would listen. He immediately sent for a psychiatrist - who then diagnosed the depression. Without my mother that woman would have been another statistic.

What is particularly worrying is how dehumanised the care in that hospital had become. If you are a nurse on the same ward day after day how can you not notice one of your patients is slowly starving to death FFS?

Wordsmith

4. Denail of Care, you mean? Might not happen in all hospitals but it happened in Leicester Groby some years ago. Watching your aunt die, without food and just a glass of water until she curled her toes up and freed up the bed isn't nice, when you've better things to be doing, now is it.

5. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

These old people are not 'them'. They are us, next.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Was discussing this with my better half the other day. Seems to us that NHS nurses these days are too busy filling in reports etc to think about nursing care. For this we probably have, yet again, lawyers to blame, for taking trusts to court for various reasons, so staff are told to record yet ever increasing amounts of data, yet don't have the time to nurse. End up in a viscous circle, generated by ambulance chasers.

7. You lot make your minds up, one minute they're a drain on resources and why everyone has to work longer, the next it's a tragedy they're dead.

• Like Like x 2
  8. If you tolerate this, then your children will be next, will be next, will be next!!!

do do doooo dood ood ooo, will be next.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well the rapidly approaching prospect of ending your meager pensioned days in a poorly funded, overstressed health system that you've spent your life moaning about paying for can focus the mind wonderfully.

10. Quite right, ice with your Bromptons cocktail?

11. No, liquid nitrogen thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bollocks J, you're just fishing for a bite, and you got one!
    People deserve respect, even you.

13. Are you of a certain age, did you press that Nurse call a few too many times, do you repeatedly start sentences with 'Im 89 years old you know'
    Perhaps it's time, you're tired, becoming a burden...

14. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

now that nice Mr Shipman retired and Beverly Allet found a new job there has been a vacancy if you want it :)

Needle roulette?

15. I left the health service (WMAS) a few years ago after 18 years service, I was getting more and more pi$$ed of with paperwork and documentation becoming more important than the patient.