Portsmouth dockyard may shut down?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chocolate_frog, Jan 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

They#re talking about the old Vosper Thorneycroft. No surprises - BAE was bounced into buying it by the VT management as part of a BAE-VT tie up. There's still over capacity in British naval shipbuilding because the navy's quite small and BAE are really bad at export sales. It's a shame because VT were quite good at it

2. Another British yard sunk me thinks.

3. Enlighten me & others to what 'area' of the old Vosper thorneycroft were talking about, as it's not Woolston or anything to do with the Port Solent end?

4. I'm sure our great friends the French would let us use their nice dockyards. I am beginning to brush off the meaning of the word 'hate' in respect of my feelings towards this disgusting parody of a government.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

6. Or we could use Cammell Lairds, Falmouth, Harland & Wolff, Scotstoun, Govan, Barrow or Devonport?

How many shipyards, realistically, does the UK need considering we now have a very small navy and can't better the prices of the likes of Korea for commercial ships?

7. We need loads. How else are we going to store all the warships waiting for disposal?

8. And don't forget, you will need space for your nuclear submarines

9. They can go in the space vacated by BAe's ex-shipyard.

I believe we've achieved synergy between defence and industry, at long last.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

BAE only own one shipbuilding operation in Portsmouth - the bits they bought from VT. If anything's being shut down by them it has to be that bit. The naval base is not theirs to close.

11. What's the problem?

This is just one tiny element of the very fabric of British society that is about to collapse as in the total collapse of what little is left of the British Empire.

12. They've been talking about MCHV / Black Swan a lot recently and the outline calls for something like a stretched OPV(H) with a hangar, rear ramp and modular mission bay. Could be they're looking a kicking production of those off to begin replacing the old Hunt MCMs in the next 5-10 years (and sometime in the 2020s, the Sandowns, Rivers and Echos as well).

13. Pompey to close? Aoart from the naval base bit, only a matter of time.
    140 odd acres of prime south coast real estate on the end of a motorway and two mainlines to London?
    As they say, go figure.