Porton Down compensation agreed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Alsacien, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Nice one MOD. The courts might pay out £440,000 in two cases for a lezzer who had her feelings hurt, and a few hundred thousand to some remf who got RSI, but for guys who had their lives ruined by nerve gas experiements administered after a ruse, £8,000.

I like the priorities.

3. When I read that story this morning, the thought that went through my head was "Far too little, far too late..." What those poor buggers suffered after being lied to by the government of the day is beyond comprehension and with the 'all or none' clause, the MoD only has to wait a few more years and they'll all be dead, thus no pay-out will be required.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

..which has been the UK government policy since WW1 if not longer....

I knew a guy who (stupidly) went to PD for a few extra quid. All his hair fell out and never grew back evenly, just patches - looked like a leukemia victim but otherwise apparently totally healthy.
    He did'nt make a big deal about it and got promoted from Tom to full screw in just over a year - coincidence?

5. Doesn't bode well for the poor buggers who got irradiated at Nuclear Weapons tests does it?

"Here's a couple of quid now STFU will you?"

6. Back in the eighties, there were regular ads on Part One Orders, offering the opportunity to visit picturesque Porton Down, where you might be asked to get a whiff of CS, or possibly test out a new S6 Ressie. Nobody mentioned having blister agent painted on your testicles, funnily enough. There was a small payment that could look quite attractive when the month outlasted the money, as it regularly did.

I'm quite glad that I never listened to the Emperor Mong that time!

7. And the world turns ......

Happened to drop by the RN School of Cruel and Unusual Medicine* in 2006, where young matelots were making up the payments on their motorbike loans by living 48 hrs in the 'tank' for £35 a day. Sat in shorts, playing waterproofed Nintendo at temps of 45 C+ and 100% humidity, whatever that is in Sterling, breathing whatever BB gave them to breathe then doing tests.

"Welcome to the Tank, it's 10:47 a.m. and Geordie is in the corner, wibbling".

MK

*Pratchett fans will recognise, but it's really a grey place on the S. Coast.