Porton Down 'Common Cold' Research Myth, Where it came from.

I can remember my mum telling me off, you'll catch a cold playing out in the rain, it did seem like equine manure even then

I remember "volunteers" being requested on Regt, Part 1 orders for a few weeks at Porton Down.

I can remember the same deal being offered in SROs. I never felt at all tempted to volunteer.
I know someone who did. Sat him down, got him pissed on redex and tear gassed him.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I remember "volunteers" being requested on Regt, Part 1 orders for a few weeks at Porton Down.
Portion Down was not the CCRU. That was at Odstock.

Is this a myth? My Dad reckons when he joined the RAF in the 1960s they ran a five and half day week. Volunteers for Porton Down were given the half-day off in lieu.

Aside from common cold research they were seeking people to swallow a dilute mixture of cadmium to observe how long it took to pass through the body. Also declined.

Have a Great Uncle who volunteered to go to Porton Down during WW2 and cannot find any details of his passing and what happened to him.

Is this a myth? My Dad reckons when he joined the RAF in the 1960s they ran a five and half day week.
Maybe for late National Service (May 63 last one left). I joined in 74 and it was nothing like that, in fact Weds sports afternoon was still in favour (except I worked shifts for almost my entire career so never got that).

Yep I too remember seeing it on Reggy Pt 1’s, I asked my OC about it once, but he just laughed and said, “You’re barking enough son, don’t go tampering with nature!” The chief clarke told me that you got a cushy time doing naff all and got paid a bounty for going. I listened to the OC and never went

Is this a myth? My Dad reckons when he joined the RAF in the 1960s they ran a five and half day week. Volunteers for Porton Down were given the half-day off in lieu.
The myth is that service personnel were deliberately deceived into volunteering for Porton Down for NBC research under the guise that it was for common cold research.
It's easy to see how the confusion of the existence of two completely separate establishments came about (I'm sure it still happens although CCRU has been closed for many years), but the conditions for attending each were quite different and were made very clear at the time that attending either establishment was possible.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I dimly remember the AFOs (Admiralty Fleet Orders) seeking volunteers for Porton Down.

A bit of googling:

Secret Science

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I seem to remember my Scorpion Gunnery Instructor, a wise and wizened old 13/18H Sergeant who told us to call him Ginge if there were no grown-ups about, and on whose behalf I liberated a giant Southern Comfort - I think - mirror from a pub in Appleby at the end of live firing at Warcop. Two weeks later, welcome to Omagh. He told us not to volunteer. If we did, take leave before, not after. You don't want to feel sh¡t on leave.

A couple of mates of mine went; we were hanging around between courses at Catterick.

They spent a week or maybe a fortnight in NBC suits, no boots/mask/gloves/hood just doing light tasks. Weapon tests, marching about, stuff like that. Extra money for it.

Others volunteer on the basis of the tale, turns out the research has moved on and they spent a week doing hard physical graft in full NBC.

I attended in December 1974. it was then called MBRE Microbiological Research establishment (CDE- Chemical Defence Establishment Porton Down) we were told that we were testing atropine, in fact I was dosed up with something called, P2S or Pralidoxime, every 4 hours for a week. 10cc of blood was taken at regular intervals, and I was hooked up to an ECC machine I received an extra weeks pay, about £25. about 35 years late, when it reverted to civvie control, plod under the heading "Operation Antler" opened a new inquiry as a RAF chap called Ronald Maddison was killed there in 1953. I was 24 when I attended. The side effect was to make me hyper active, some men were severely crippled and others suffered for many years after. From 1940-1990 volunteers from all 3 services took part in NBC warfare testing.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

I seem to remember my Scorpion Gunnery Instructor, a wise and wizened old 13/18H Sergeant who told us to call him Ginge if there were no grown-ups about, and on whose behalf I liberated a giant Southern Comfort - I think - mirror from a pub in Appleby at the end of live firing at Warcop. Two weeks later, welcome to Omagh. He told us not to volunteer. If we did, take leave before, not after. You don't want to feel sh¡t on leave.
Lol Appleby, did Pikeys get the blame for the mirror going missing?