Port decanter

Having just been to a local antiques shop and bought a port decanter, I am wondering whether this is a sign of latent good taste or encroaching middle age. Or both.

msr

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
msr said:
Having just been to a local antiques shop and bought a port decanter, I am wondering whether this is a sign of latent good taste or encroaching middle age. Or both.

msr
Both.

The thing you have to watch for, is dishing out port fines to your civilian dinner guests when the decanter leaves the dining room table. Then you've gone a bit far.

Indeed - the other combat indicator is the port with which I fill it.

msr said:

msr
You could have had one of mine............

The_Snail said:
msr said:

msr
I don't deal in stolen property :)

msr said:
The_Snail said:
msr said:

msr
I don't deal in stolen property :)
I win them.....

The_Snail said:
msr said:

msr
I take it you got the standard Regimental wedding presents?

pimpernel said:
The_Snail said:
msr said:

msr
Somebody married the Snail?

msr said:
pimpernel said:
The_Snail said:
msr said:

msr
Unfortunately,yes.

It's alright though, I killed him, and did a little dance on his grave.

In my patio.

The_Snail said:
msr said:
pimpernel said:
The_Snail said:
msr said:

msr
Unfortunately,yes.

It's alright though, I killed him, and did a little dance on his grave.

In my patio.
But you also used the decanter as a sexual aid didn't you?

Anyway, back to the thread:

Warre's Warrior - quality port or not?

msr

If just done a quick search for decanters and some sites list Spirits and Wine Decanters.

Is there any difference between Spirits decanters and Wine Decanters? (Apart from the contents obviously).

dingerr said:
If just done a quick search for decanters and some sites list Spirits and Wine Decanters.

Is there any difference between Spirits decanters and Wine Decanters? (Apart from the contents obviously).
Spirits decanters are usually square with those for wine being rounded - see the Directors decanter in the link below

dartington

Not sure why though....

edited to add - though in thinking about the shape of red wine glasses, perhaps it has something to do with allowing the wine to move and the nose to develop....though I am quite possibly talking/writing/thinking a load of rubbish :D ...

In my experience a lot of port decanters are wide, flat bottomed. These were originally designed for stability on board ship but lend themselves to the tradition that the decanter should not leave the table. I don't know if there is a military or regimental tradition of port decanter design, I should imagine there will be but, as I said, in my experience ships decanters were the norm.

msr said:

msr
Neither. You only need one if you can afford Port with a sediment....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rampant Tanks, planes & ships 0
ugly The NAAFI Bar 18
C Jobs Offered 0