Port back en vogue

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Jul 1, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. Has it ever gone out of fashion in the military - i fcuking love the stuff personally :roll:
  3. I can vouch that it's still popular with students as well. :D
  4. Well I'm responsible for about 1 million bottles - wonderful drink especially with cornish wafers and stilton :wink:
  5. Yep, blame the stilton and cream crackers on my addiction of the stuff!!!
  6. I blame it for my periods of short term memory loss :D
  7. Try it with Blue WKD tastes like vimto and gets you ratted PDQ.

I don't recommend using the last bottle of '63 for it though!
  8. What about White Port?
  9. I don't think I've ever had any. Although you never know.

On that note... Madeira?
  10. My first experience was being made to drink a pint of the red loveliness, in one, by the now RSM of 3 AAC, made me feel like a tramp that had found a 50 pound note :D

Since that day, I reckon that I have kept at least 30 Portugese men in full time employment
  11. White Port is quite drinkable chilled in the summer or as an apperitif I prefer it to sherry. Less "colour" also seems to make for a more sufferable hangover.
  12. I've always liked Port.... Red or White, and it took a Dane to put me on the road to White Port :?

He offered me a white port and to take the piss I said yes...... what a stroke of luck :)
  13. Kel

Kel Old-Salt

Just tried my first bottle of Madeira, (Blandy's Rich) the other week. Very nice it was too. Funnily enough, on that report from the beeb, the picture at the top is a bottle of Fonseca which is just about to go in to my decanter. Tried most of the rest, Dow's 20 Yr old is a favourite though. :D
  14. What is the best easy-drinking variety? Not expensive vintage stuff but reasonably priced.
  15. Kel

Kel Old-Salt

Dow's LBV, (Late Bottled Vintage), it's not a true vintage but still very drinkable and not too expensive or Dow's Midnight Port, just got two bottles for £9 from Summerfield recently. There's also plenty to choose from Graham's, Warre's and Taylor's. I wouldn't bother with proper vintage until you get a decanter.