Porridge... is absolutely crucial to our history

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by smartascarrots, Aug 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grauniad link. I could have put it in the NAAFI, but there's a marginally greater chance of serious comments here.

It's an interesting revelation, amongst many in the study, that we owe so much to immigration and not just from the traditional sources.

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

"Not every analysis of DNA has delivered welcome results. DNA analysis on Moffat himself – a proud Scottish Borders man – showed that his ancestry was English. "We don't offer counselling for that," he said."

hahahahahaha.

I love porridge, no not that one the staple food stuff. Every morning for breakfast.

3. The bit about West African and Berber elements in the genetic makeup of the Scots explains the origins of the term "porridge wog." As a linguistician, I had been wondering ...

• Like Like x 2
  4. ehwhat

ehwhat Old-Salt Book Reviewer

The expectation that the people of Scotland, or any other place, would somehow be anything other than a serious mix of people from places both near and far was a foregone conclusion. Nationality and ethnicity are culture constructs, not blood or DNA. Explanations of how various groups came to be represented within a locale is a delightful academic pursuit. Tenure awaits the young boffin willing to take it on. It is also mainly meaningless in terms of Scotland or anywhere else. The constructed identity of the SNP etc. is not going to be greatly effected by this or any other scientific study.

parrot_part_scottish.jpg

5. Allen Mc akbarrrr

6. Cracking series.

7. Scotland - the inventors of porridge, the World's only grey food.

I'm surprised they haven't found a way to deep-fry it yet.

8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Porridge and Whiskey - Scotland must have been bloody awful place to live before they came up with those two.

9. I've got a cousin in the UK who always has a nip of whiskey on his breakfast porridge before going rough shooting in the winter.

10. You've not 'eaten' at McDonalds, then?

• Like Like x 6
  11. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Obviously never had a mealie pudding supper! (also called a white pudding)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Good point - I'd forgotten about those. Whe I lived in Scotland I couldn't get used to asking for a 'fish supper' when it was lunchtime.

13. Is that really battered porridge? Really?

14. Almost - they are usually suet, oatmeal, onions and spices. Scottish white pudding does not contain meat.

15. It's a white pudding supper, created by taking the finest oatmeal, mixing it with some gloop and spices (salt and pepper), rolling it in a secret batter mix and deep frying it. The pudding is then traditionally left to lie on the fryer until 0300hrs when it will traditionally be claimed by a passing pish-head who can't afford a fish supper. Serve with chips, two pickled onions and slather in salt and sauce (brown).

But to answer your question, yes, it is.