Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Porkers Refused NHS Treatment Unless...

Is the NHS right to discriminate against fatties?

• Yes - the fat ******* should lose some weight

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • No - It's discriminatory and I like the Blairs

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • WTF are you doing reading the Daily Wail?

Votes: 10 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've just Googled BMI 35.
Indications are, if you gain a couple of feet in height, you will be OK.

Sabretooth

War Hero
I've just Googled BMI 35.
Indications are, if you gain a couple of feet in height, you will be OK.
1. BMI (body mass index), which is based on the height and weight of a person, is an inaccurate measure of body fat content and does not take into account muscle mass, bone density, overall body composition, and racial and sex differences, say researchers from the Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania.
2. Despite its wide use, BMI is flawed. ... “Body mass index doesn't show the difference between muscle and fat, so it doesn't always accurately predict when weight could lead to health problems,” says Kim Larson, RDN, health, and wellness coach at Total Health in Woodinville, Washington

1. BMI (body mass index), which is based on the height and weight of a person, is an inaccurate measure of body fat content and does not take into account muscle mass, bone density, overall body composition, and racial and sex differences, say researchers from the Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania.
2. Despite its wide use, BMI is flawed. ... “Body mass index doesn't show the difference between muscle and fat, so it doesn't always accurately predict when weight could lead to health problems,” says Kim Larson, RDN, health, and wellness coach at Total Health in Woodinville, Washington
I love you Sabretooth.

The defence rests.

Thank you for that.
I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise?

Have to admit I am sick of the missus borrowing my bras.
Wouldn't mind but she doesn't really fill them.
That's the problem with wives, always "borrowing" kit.
Then, just once, you wear her pants and all hell breaks loose. :-(

If you think about it, we are not discussing fitness or any variation on that theme. Excess muscle, fat or even having a cock that would make Shergar blush? It doesn't matter. A prosthetic hip or knee won't care what is generating the weight, beyond a certain BMI the evidence shows that the chances of failure rise dramatically. However, the taller you are the bigger your bones tend to be, so BMI may not be a bad metric after all. I know one surgeon who chins off patients who smoke, not because he doesn't like ciggies, but because smoking + bad hips + weight = a very reliable marker for a shite lifestyle and a poor outcome.

And while we're on the subject, any op that has to be 'revisited' for any reason does not reflect well on the original surgeon. All prosthetics wear out eventually, which is why some orthopods are reluctant to operate on young patients...because the chances that the joint will need a revision are about 100%.

Which rather spoils the handicap. Funny old world.

Mattb

LE
There are basically two types of people with BMIs of over 30; Lawrence Delaglio and fatties.

Pretty much everyone complaining about the accuracy of BMI is just in denial.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
If you think about it, we are not discussing fitness or any variation on that theme. Excess muscle, fat or even having a cock that would make Shergar blush? It doesn't matter. A prosthetic hip or knee won't care what is generating the weight, beyond a certain BMI the evidence shows that the chances of failure rise dramatically. However, the taller you are the bigger your bones tend to be, so BMI may not be a bad metric after all. I know one surgeon who chins off patients who smoke, not because he doesn't like ciggies, but because smoking + bad hips + weight = a very reliable marker for a shite lifestyle and a poor outcome.

And while we're on the subject, any op that has to be 'revisited' for any reason does not reflect well on the original surgeon. All prosthetics wear out eventually, which is why some orthopods are reluctant to operate on young patients...because the chances that the joint will need a revision are about 100%.

Which rather spoils the handicap. Funny old world.
...and the number of times you can repeat a procedure. I think the maximum is three.

I've a Saffer mate, just under 6ft and 22 stone. Certainly a big lad but his running fit weight is not 22 stone.

He had a hip replaced in his mid-40s, due to arthritis. But, he smokes, eats all the wrong things (he'll put butter or sugar on/in just about anything) and drinks too much.

Ultimately, he wants quick fixes and and isn't prepared to compromise his very unhealthy lifestyle.

He's a very dear friend but I'm done with his excuses. If I were a medical professional, I'd not be pleased at having him as a patient.

My BMI is huge, but then I’m only 3’6”.

Latest Threads