Popular Regiments

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by officer21, Dec 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone!

I have recently (2days ago) made an application to join the regular army as an officer, however left the regiments preference section blank. I am a final year student at university and have only recently started to consider career in the armed forces.

I've thought about the Parachute Regiment, Air Army Corps and Intelligence Corps.

I would like to know what the most and least popular corps or regiments are.

Areas of the army I'd like to join that I have selected are from Officer/Graduate, Combat and Intelligence.

I hope to hear from you soon.

2. 3 differing jobs, pick 1....

3. Depends what you mean by "most & least popular".. however, what I can say is God has given his seal of approval to a certain corps ;)

4. If you are interested in joining a line infantry regiment go for your local one, although some are more popular than others and therefore have fewer vacancies.

The Corps of Royal Engineers is probably the most popular and we have very little difficulty recruiting sufficent numbers of officers.

5. Be a leader not a follower, make your own mind up

6. Hi plant_life, I'm thinking of joining the RE as an officer, tentatively, why do you think there are issues with recruiting? I'd have thought it was quite competitive for officer places....?

7. Read that again Sherlock. :roll:

8. Oh yeah, idiot me.

But generally if you want to be an RE officer and perform ok you will get sponsored?

9. not just okay, norm top 5% that choose RE, quite strict still however we allow woman (awaiting bite...)

10. WOW

same as REME,Int Corps, dentists, etc................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

11. Go for a regiment where attention to detail and reading instructions are unimportant. :lol: :lol:

12. You don't need an engineering degree to apply for the RE as an officer and unlike the REME you will not be penalised for not being a CEng.
    I will be honest with you though, it is very competitive to get in as we get involved in the warry side of things but are also pretty good tradesmen.

13. RLC then?? :D

14. Couldn't agree more P_L :D

On a serious note for Officer 21, get on some fam visits and see where you fit in, there's not much point in deciding on going for the Coldstream guards, as excellent as they are, if you end up hiding in the corner of the mess and not becoming part of the team. May I just say the RE run an excellent, 2-day, 2-location visit with a rather enjoyable night in Gib. Ahem.

15. Didn't realise the RE was that competitetive/ I'm interested in the Int Corps and the RE, but I know the Int C will be too difficult, but not your saying the RE is also highly competitive, will they just throw me in any where if I can't get in (say third term at RMAS...?)