Poppy?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by skid2, Oct 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Mods if this has been done better bigger faster elsewhere. Please shift.
    Over here in the Occupied six counties, everywhere you look Unionist worthies (and wasters) are wearing their poppies. Surely it's too early?
    Yes
    No
    Maybe

And thanks for the abuse it's a straight question.

2. Never too early for me............

3. A poppy is for life.

4. I don't think it's to early, back home the collection tins and boxes of poppies have been displayed in the shops for about a week. I think it used to be 2 weeks before Armistace that collectors used to be found on the high engaging with joe public.

5. We kick off on Saturday 29th October this year........ but boxes have already been distributed to businesses and schools. I've seen a few being worn already.

And that's no bad thing.

6. I rub lipstick round my ringpiece, that way when I bend over it looks like a poppy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. To get the full effect try shoving a Bic pen top up there first so it just peaks out to represent the plastic centre of the poppy.

8. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Just for once, give it a rest smudger.

9. Well if you honestly think that the OPs question is really worthy of an answer? Seriously?

• Like Like x 1
  10. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

I do or I wouldn't have bothered asking.
    I spent a remembrance sunday in Harrogate a couple of years ago as was amazed at how relaxed the whole thing was. Nobody watching over each others shoulders and a quiet couple of beers afterwards. Unlike here where it still seems to be done on a dive in dive out basis inside a security ring. And on the rare occasion when the old timers get a chance to go for a beer in the city centre with old friends they haven't seen since last year. Blazers and medals are hidden under a coat or anorak........but then again you know all that.
    I'm off for a pint to atone for wasting the internets valuable time............but as far as I knew it was always start of November onwards.

11. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Reasonble question from the OP, just give it a rest mate. Seriously.

12. It was always 'poppy behind the capbadge' 1st nov onwards. But as a civvy you can wear one whenever you want.

13. IIRC I saw a male presenter on QVC wearing a shiney/glittery poppy on the telly the other day.

14. Had a collection tin and box at work for a week now including the funky white 90 wristbands. They seem to have gone down a storm even though we put up a sign saying £5 for the wrist band.

15. HHH

HHH LE

Poppies can be worn at anytime, but the RBL say the main time for wearing them is from the launch each year of the Poppy Appeal, ( this year it is the 27th Oct 2011) until Remembrance Sunday.