Poppy protocol

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BFBS, Oct 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there a correct way to wear a poppy for civvies? Some people say it's on the left for men, the right for women, but the RBL says it doesn't matter which side?

2. As long as you wear it does it really matter?

men tend to wear it on the left due to the button hole on the lapel.

3. I'd imagine that it's left for men because for those of us who wear suits the buttonhole is on the left lapel. I always remove the green 'leaf' from my poppies too.

4. I agree it's the wearing of it that is important, but if our BFBS TV presenters wear them 'wrongly' we're bound to get pulled up for it

5. It could be worse! Try NOT wearing them and then standby.

No, as a rule men left, women right. Unless of course, someone else has another option then you're on your own.

6. Left for men because that's where your medals go, right for women because that's where a widow would wear her husband's medals. To be honest is doesn't really matter nowadays as long as you wear one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Is that the real reason? Well, you learn something everyday.

Cheers BC

8. Thanks, I've just gone and asked our two female presenters for tonight's BFBS reports to change them - they both had them on the left, now they are on the right. We may as well be correct if we can

9. I have been told the poppy goes on the left in my uniform cap - never heard it should be worn on the right for ladies at any time :?

10. If you're female in the Forces it's the left I think, but the right for female civvies - I think

11. That's why this is called ARRSE - rumours presented as 'facts'.

12. We crabs wear it on the right breast in uniform (except on overcoats). For civvies I would say if in doubt wear it on your left.

13. [​IMG]

Take a tip frome the boss ladies. Poppies on the left.

14. But doesn't the Queen wear it on the left as she is Colonel-in Chief and not a civilian?

15. [​IMG]

The Prince of Wales and The Princess Royal in uniform at the Cenotaph. Poppies on the left. HM in civvies, poppies also on the left.