Poppy petition

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Krazus, Dec 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ello dear Pongo's (Said with great affection)

An ex-land crab ere.

Forgive me if this has already been posted on your site before, but it seems such a strong issue for a cause I hope we all hold dear, be it army, navy, airforce, marines or the merchant navy...

Home - Poppy Campaign

this is a story about a young lass who was told by her employer she could not wear her poppy... now she has started a crusade to get the government to change policy so it cant happen to anyone else.

If you use the link, she has a further link that will lead you to her petition page on the gov website... as you may already know, she needs 100,000 signatures for the gov to consider it... if you agree, please sign, and more importantly let others know.
    Even with our dwindling forces we should still be able to raise 100,000 voices.

thanks lads,

Krazus
    Ex-landcrab aircraft techy

2. No.

It's the employer's choice. She can wear it outside of work, she'll still have remembered and still have contributed.

If she really wants to display a poppy then she can with a ring, earrings, pendant, bracelet, bangle, necklace etc.

There was a thread about this a while ago.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fair enough dingerr,
    your entitled to your opinion, same as anyone else.

I did beg for forgiveness if this subject had previously been raised, and it would seem it has.

maybe some folks do agree... time will tell.

4. Looks like another 'let's **** our employer over as we don't like them' set up, as has happened just about every year over the last decade.

All getting a bit tiresome now. Yaawwwwwn.

PS. Poppy day was last month.

5. It's not just them; my RSM told me I couldn't wear a pink ribbon on my Cbt95, 4 charity wrist bands and to top it off he said I wasn't allowed to dye my hair green for a month to raise money for terminally ill disabled amputee lesbian hamsters - What a ****!

• Like Like x 3
  6. He's getting an early start, forewarned is forearmed

7. Wasn't the green 'tactical' enough for him?

• Like Like x 1
  8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

This is a free country. People are free to be arses if they want. It is perfectly correct that employers are allowed to set dress standards for their employees when that employee is representing the employer's business.

I happen to think that any employer who bans their staff from wearing Poppies is behaving in a most despicable manner and we are free to hold that employer up to opprobrium and to boycott them.

The Poppy remains a special and powerful symbol because we feel that way about it. It does not require special legal protection - indeed that may diminish it.

9. In my opinion an employer can set dress standards. However, I would not allow an employer to tell me I cannot shave my pubes or wear a poppy even if it cost me my job. Those that allow their employers to dictate to them as such are weak.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I'd say the employer has misjudged the Zeitgeist but thats their business. The alternative? "You vill vear ze POPPY"?

But if in eleven months time anybody spots a newsreader not wearing a poppy, giz a shout and I shall spank them in an email using harsh fonts.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fixed that for ye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. My managers sit in air conditioned offices and never lift anything heavier than a bic pen insist I wear a tie in a badly air conditioned, often stuffy customs hall and cramped offices. **** 'em. I tell them I will never wear a tie because of it's cultural significance [Dave Spart mode on] 'It's a symbol of anglo saxon subservience and oppression symbolising the noose used by feudal overlords over celts in the 9th and 10 Century as a warning to those they brutally oppressed and as a person of celtic heritage I find ties offensive''

But mainly because it makes me sweat like an Tel-Aviv bus driver during a heatwave.

• Like Like x 1
  13. My employer tells me I will wear a poppy, when it will be worn, and how it is to be worn, does that make me weak?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nope, that's being in the military. If a employer tells you to wear a poppy then it should be worn. However, if you wish to wear a poppy just as you wish to wear a piece of jewellery such as a necklace or bracelet, and your employer tells you that you cannot and you do not then you are weak (not talking about when in the military).

On the other hand, if my employer told me to wear something religious (particularly Islamic, jewish etc) I would refuse.

15. ... would they be Christian or Islamic hamsters :?