poppy in the post

coded

Old-Salt
So i'm now working for Royal mail in the most fun job of being a postman and today we have had to start delivering a box to every house in the area containing a poppy, now maybe its just me but I always thought the whole point of poppies were to raise a few quid for RBL as well as the remembrance so why would they decide to send thousands of them free to every house ?

ugly

LE
To raise awareness that there may be an anniversary that hasnt been advertised by the BBC/ITV between celebrity chav look at me content masquerading as entertainment?

coded

Old-Salt
I understand that but I would have thought poppies were their biggest money earner who gives away their most profitable product

Fintry

Old-Salt
To raise awareness that there may be an anniversary that hasnt been advertised by the BBC/ITV between celebrity chav look at me content masquerading as entertainment?

Dear UGLY,

Nonsense.

I think every household should be given a free poppy for putting up with scrounging soldiers. Why, after all, should we be giving money to charity for a service that came from the tax payers pocket and almost crippled the country.

On the other hand.

Please give generously to the poppy fund. The RBL do a fantastic job and Ugly gets his Boer War pension due to their input into his somewhat dodgy appeals process.

Yours faithfully

Disco The Moderator
London
WC1

ugly

LE
I understand that but I would have thought poppies were their biggest money earner who gives away their most profitable product
Loss leader? Besides unlike me recycling ones 10 years old or more (allyness saves lives) most chavs will have lost it by Remembrance sunday.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
That's going to go down a treat on the Falls and small lumps of FST. Are they doing businesses too as I don't think the Felons Club has a letterbox

Gunner82

War Hero
Probably the invention of the new management who seem to have been recruited from the non grant giving charities. Restrictions on grants are now mandatory with a life maximum of £500 for white goods and the same for brown goods makes resettling a homeless ex service persons quite a challenge.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Re the above from Gunner.
Being serious. St Vincent De Paul's crowd one of the few charities enabled and allowed to do refurbished (and really quite cheap new) white goods. There was a deal going with them. They were short of bed and bedding so we traded them for their cookers and fridges.
This being Belfast in the late 70s the whole thing ran on a don't ask don't tell but there were a load of papist cookers getting used in the lower shankill. And no doubt a load of catholic kids getting ate by Hun bedbugs.
St V de P still one of the few charities I always throw money in the bucket for