Poppy Appeal (Jersey) 2008

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by blue-sophist, Dec 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

As we all know, fund-raising for the RBL is a 365-day operation. And 2008 is already underway!!

HERE is Jersey’s latest effort to raise funds, the majority of which are sent to the UK with only a modest hold-back to meet local needs.

Our local wizard is in the process of producing the initial sets of 10 replicas of Jersey Militia Badges, in the form of lapel pins.

The set of Jersey Militia Pins is shown HERE.

The History of the Militia is HERE.

Further work in the pipeline includes a Commemorative Coin … see below.

What are YOU doing for Poppy 08? :wink:

Attached Files:

2. For everyone who bemoaned the dearth of Poppy People this year, sign up by clicking the icon below:

3. blue-sophist

BTW ... this thread should really be Poppy Appeal (Jersey) 2008.

Didn't mean to capture the whole thing, and I have asked Moderator to change title.

[edit ... Thanks for doing it so quickly!]
  4. Well I am always willing to hear any suggestions for improving the poppy appeal or the kind of things people would like to see in Jersey, so any suggestions feel free to PM me!
  5. blue-sophist

Do you have a costing yet on the commemorative coin/medal/medallion/whatever ...? And when available?

I want one, please! :wink:
  6. This thread could/should be a general "Poppy Appeal" mobilisation for 2008, having undertaken poppy selling for the first time 2007 and seen the lack of sellers (apart from some old and bold) we could have in place a national co-ordination for volunteers from arrse members for 2008....just a thought
  7. My thoughts precisely, hence my post above. If everyone who commented about the lack of Poppy People in 2007 became one in 2008, who knows how much more money could be raised? Whilst you may not be able to 'buy' a poppy with Mastercard, the feel-good factor of being a Poppy Person is priceless! :)
  8. blue-sophist

I considered our local efforts a useful primer for those on the mainland to get working!! However, it is not for RBL (Jersey) to lead on the subject :wink:

Anyway, Dozy has already helped with her linky, and is spot on with her observation on Poppy Sellers.
    Whatever form it takes .... Poppy 08 starts now!

[Actually, our local Poppy account closes at the end of Nov each year. Accordingly, the Wine & Cheese Fund-raiser we hosted at Sophist Towers on 2 Dec 07 was actually the first contribution to the 08 accounts. Just short of £850 raised in 3 hours, whilst enjoying a glass or several ... that's the way to do it! :wink: ]
  9. No price set for coins yet as the ones shown are just the designers proofs and the main run is in the process of being minted.

Should know how much they will be going for in the next few days. Looks like it will be around £20 for the bronze coins all inclusive of postage and packing etc.

The Coins come in a fitted velvet presentation box and each coin is individually serial numbered. Only 200 being minted.

Quite a few pre-orders already in and all the gold and antique silver ones already gone - but happy to reserve some should people not want to miss out. Publication date is set to be end of Jan. Just PM if you want to arrange to have a coin reserved.

All money goes to the Poppy Appeal as usual.
  10. blue-sophist

We shall speak in person tomorrow ... mine's reserved, or you DIE!!! 8)

BTW, look out for a PM from gundulph ... he does similar efforts and is interested in sources. Over to you!
  11. blue-sophist

Why not ... RBL isn't just November 11 ... :wink: