Poppy Appeal - Donate £1.50 by text

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pox_Dr, Nov 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I was made aware of a new way to support the Poppy day appeal today - text the word poppy to a 5 fig fast text number & you receive a link to a mobile wall paper of a poppy.

The idea being in this text culture why not jump on the band wagon & get some youngster to do it.

Now I’ve done this myself & think it’s just a different way to show support, but can I find the number again :( So if anyone else is aware of the text number, do us a favour & post it. Ta
  2. I don't want to be alarmist, but I've looked on the RBL donation site and it doesn't mention anything about text. I hope that this isn't some low-life scum trying to rip people off.
  3. The other thing to be wary of is the charge implemented by the telecoms provider. Even assuming its not fake - the phone company may be trimming off a lot in charges.

4. it does indeed sound like some lowlife scumbag trying to rip poeple off. i haven't heard anything about text donations from anybody.
  5. I found the number 85099 it was in the national press attached to a story about the work the British Legion do. However I ran the number through Google & its taken me to a site called Pocketworld & now it all looks very suspect.

Ive contacted the British Legion with the information & will post there reply
  6. Nice to see they took the idea I outlined out to them last year , this year.

All in a good cause.
  7. All's well then - it just seems odd that it wasn't mentioned on their website and not being in the UK, I didn't know if it had been advertised by the RBL by other means.

Edited to add: Very odd, but the main RBL website publicizes the text option but the RBL donation site that I visited last night does not!
  8. Hi

I recieved the following emails from the British Legion Today.

So all appears well.
  9. Shame you can't actually download the bloody things, I've been trying since yesterday morning!!!
  10. I got the service message link returned immediately and was able to download it instantly.