Poppy Appeal - Donate £1.50 by text

Hi

I was made aware of a new way to support the Poppy day appeal today - text the word poppy to a 5 fig fast text number & you receive a link to a mobile wall paper of a poppy.

The idea being in this text culture why not jump on the band wagon & get some youngster to do it.

Now I’ve done this myself & think it’s just a different way to show support, but can I find the number again :( So if anyone else is aware of the text number, do us a favour & post it. Ta

DozyBint said:
I don't want to be alarmist, but I've looked on the RBL donation site and it doesn't mention anything about text. I hope that this isn't some low-life scum trying to rip people off.
it does indeed sound like some lowlife scumbag trying to rip poeple off. i haven't heard anything about text donations from anybody.

I found the number 85099 it was in the national press attached to a story about the work the British Legion do. However I ran the number through Google & its taken me to a site called Pocketworld & now it all looks very suspect.

Ive contacted the British Legion with the information & will post there reply

Nice to see they took the idea I outlined out to them last year , this year.

All in a good cause.

All's well then - it just seems odd that it wasn't mentioned on their website and not being in the UK, I didn't know if it had been advertised by the RBL by other means.

Edited to add: Very odd, but the main RBL website publicizes the text option but the RBL donation site that I visited last night does not!

Hi

I recieved the following emails from the British Legion Today.

Subject: RE: Poppy by text

Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying. I can assure you that this is an initiative supported by and on behalf of the Legion. The details in the Sun are correct and I hope this note eases your concerns. Thanks for your support

Stuart

Stuart Gendall
Director of Corporate Communications
The Royal British Legion, 48 Pall Mall, London SW1 5JY

Tel: 020 7973 7296 Fax: 020 7973 7239 Mob: 07966 548232

e-mail: sgendall@britishlegion.org.uk

Subject: RE: Poppy by text

Good morning, I hope you are well.
Thank you for your email. Yes, I can confirm that the Poppy download to mobile phones is a bona fida initiative that the Legion is running. The article in The Sun yesterday advertised how to download it and it has raised a considerable sum to go towards The Poppy Appeal 2005.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to come back to me.
Best regards
Danny Greenwood

DGreenwood@britishlegion.org.uk
So all appears well.

I got the service message link returned immediately and was able to download it instantly.