Poppies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Darthspud, Oct 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok
    Where can i get a poppy for next month
    i'm in the southwest,and i ain't seen a one displayed anywhere
    Poor show from shopkeepers or am i a bit quick off the mark?

2. Poppies and Trafalgar Day next Friday.
    john
    Lifes looking up

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Darthspud. I think you are being a bit harsh on the shopkeepers!
    The RBL rely on volunteers to go round all the shops/pubs/clubs ect to deliver poppies & collecting tins.
    This takes time and most of the volunteers are getting on a bit.
    Why don't you contact your local RBL Branch & volunteer to help? I am sure you will be made most welcome.
    :D :D

4. The old and bold from the Airborne were out in force at London Bridge station on Friday morning.

5. I've seen some boxes knocking around. Never to early I say.

Apart for those white ones!!! Do they still do them?

6. As I understand it, the RBL have guidelines that ask people not to sell them too early. There are a few, very few, outlets that are allowed to sell them all year round, but they generally get 'released' about November 1st.

7. Sold them last year myself and there was a strict ruling that they couldn't be put on display before a certain date. As far as I could gather it was a legal requirement placed on the RBL.

Didn't stop me blagging donations off customers though - and they still came back to buy a poppy once they were on display :)

8. Why? Because the vast majority of poeple would rather pay a nugget or two to an old bloke who did his bit than some of the other so called charitys around today.

9. I donate to every person I see holding a tin collecting for a poppy, in total I can't say what it is, but I feel satisfied at the end of it I have donated enough

10. I travelled into work this morning across london in the rush hour and counted a grand total of 16 people wearing poppys.....................thats bad!!

11. Same drills here.
    I was pleasantly suprised to see loads of Poppy People out in force at Liverpool Street Station yesterday - looked like a classic manueverist operation. Good effort.
    Loads of City types sporting poppies as well as several attractive young ladies. Also I was pleased to see youngsters talking to the Old and Bold who were rattling the tins- cheered me up no end!

edited for mong spelling