Poppies. Why 87 years later and Who for?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by smallbore, Nov 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I object to the idea that a poppy is for the dead of a war that finished 87 years ago.

Watching the BBC coverage of the Cenotaph parade there was too much emphasis on the dead of long past wars and too many old men. They seemed to ignore the war dead of last year, even last month.

The poppy is not only for the British dead of a war that finished 87 years ago.

Today I wore a poppy for;

Sgt Chris Hickey, of 1 Bn the Coldstream Guards, died three weeks ago in a roadside bomb attack near Basra.

Capt. Phillip Mann, QDG killed in Oman 30 years ago.

Hundreds, even thousands, since 1945. I honestly have no idea how many.

Stretching the point - The crew of the Penlee lifeboat who died on service in 1981. Not armed forces but "in service".

Can someone remind Joe Public that;

Remembrance Day refers to all soldiers (and sailors etc.) who died between 1914 and yesterday.

Now who did you wear a poppy for ?

And many , many others.
  2. I think the emphasis was more to do with the fact that this could well have been the last Remembrance Sunday parade with any WWI survivors taking part rather than any insult to the more recent victims of war. It is for each of us to remember and pay tribute to whomever we wish.
  3. There was an emphasis on the Great War this year, but I don't believe it was too the extent that they sacrificed the memory of those who recently died in the line of duty. Infact, the war memorial association are restoring our local monument and adding a dedication to those who died in the second war and all others since, as ours was dedicated to those who lost their lives in the first. But I can assure you that everyone there was wearing a poppy for everyone, not just the poor souls from the first war.
  4. And Dozy Bint said much the same.

Good point.

With joy I quote from you;

"everyone there was wearing a poppy for everyone, not just the poor souls from the first war."

That was my point. You just said it better than I did.
  5. The emphasis today is of remembrance of all who lost their lives, were injured, or suffered in any conflict, regardless of which side. It also includes compassion for those who were left behind. The service is a recognition of an individual honouring his/her duty.

The poppy, which is brought into significance because of its presence on the field of battle during the War of 1914-1919 (not a typo), is an effective symbol. Not only is it simple, but also it is a flower that has no allegiance to one side or another.

The time and date have signifiance in this era only because they are easily remembered. The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month will be remembered long after 9/11 and 7/7 are forgotten. The 11th of November 1918 was Armistice Day; although a significant day, it wasn't the end of the War.

If anyone should consider bringing Remembrance Sunday to an end, I would urge them to read the poem on the tea towel being sold by the Royal British Legion Industries:
  6. It is definetly for all members who have died in service. Up to the end of World War 2 it was known as 'armistice' day, and was pretty much only for those who fell in the First, however after the Second world war, people realised that people had been and would continue to give their lives in service for a very long time and changed it to 'remembrance day' in honour of ALL who fell, not just those who died 1914-18.
  7. J_D

J_D LE

Poppy is for a sign of respect for ALL men and women who lost their lifes in WW1 and WW2, this is what it originated from.

Maybe people wear it for other wars, still shows respect either way. Why complain?
  8. It is a sign of remembrance for ALL service men and women who lost their lives in service of their country in any war or conflict.
    A tradition carried on from the First World War to today, and tomorrow.
  9. At our local RBL service yesterday morning which is held on Britain's most useful war memorial, a footbridge, erected by public subscription of two villages in memory of the sons lost in the Great War, and then amended to include those lost in the Second War:

Our Chaplain who is also the local vicar, reminded us all (around 200 people) that the service of remembrance is for all servicemen and women from all wars and for all those still serving in conflicts post WWII and present ones. He said it is also a time to reflect upon the grief experienced by the families and loved ones of those lost souls.

I wore my poppy yesterday in remembrance all these people who did not have an opportunity to live the rest of their lives in peace. Didn't have the opportunity to see their 21st birthday in a bleary eyed mailstrom of beer-strewn vomit filled fun, but instead laid down their lives to maintain our freedom (whats left of it).

Like others have already said... the poppy represents ALL loss in conflict and the souls of those who are still in warfare.
  10. My wife is a teacher in a school that decided to give equal credence to both the red and the white poppies. In 'fairness', neither was allowed to be sold at the school, so as not to 'offend'.

Now forgive me if I get on my high-horse about this but the white poppy brigade are missing the point. I can take their point about peace and not glorifying war: who'd disagree with that aspect? But to divert attention from remembering the dead, not to mention the funds from the RBL, is sick. Wearing a red poppy is not a statement of militarism, nor is it conveying acceptance of government policies. It's remembering our own and helping ex soldiers and their dependents.

I'll get back to my Daily Mail. <Rustle> Bah!
  11. Add to the list of people who just don't get what Remembrance is about, the bright spark who decided that playing Give peace a chance By JOhn Lennon at the Braehaed, Glasgow ceremony.
  12. The 'white poppy brigade' use of the poppy, white or not, for their cause is extreme disrespect.
  13. Sorry mate, I misread your post